heat wave?

sueajp

The fact is, Jerusalem is further north than Savannah, GA -- so anyone who can contemplate a summer visit to Disneyworld, far to the south in Orlando, (where the humidity is much higher) can surely handle the lower humidity (and weaker sun ) experienced in the eastern Mediterranean.

Yes, Jerusalem is further north than Savannah, and it's also at a higher altitude. But Israelis from the Tel Aviv area who visit Orlando in the summer feel like they're getting a break from the sun and heat and humidity at home :p

Several times a year, we also get something that Savannah and Orlando don't get to experience: a sharava- a heat wave coming off the desert, sometimes with a sandstorm, but just as often just the heat. Advisories go out for everyone who can to stay indoors.

But, no hurricanes or tornadoes here! And lightening storms just in the winter. (We do get forest fires in the summer (but no mudslides), and a very mild earthquake once a year or so.)

Not sure why we have to belabor this point, but to put it succinctly:

It is REALLY REALLY hot here in the summer. There is no rain at all from May-October to break the heat. The sun is BLAZINGLY strong. Part of the country is desert, so yes, it is dry there. But, Israel is a small country, and those who visit sites from Jerusalem north to Haifa will experience, in addition to the heat and strong sun, very high humidity. In the Tel Aviv area, those conditions are 24/7.

I've been to Orlando in the summer several times, both when I was living in NJ, and after I moved to Israel. Of course I found Orlando to be hot and humid. But, once I moved to Israel, visiting Orlando in the summer was a cinch.

Can you visit Israel in the summer? OF COURSE! There are tourists and filled tour buses all over the country right now. Will you enjoy a summer visit? OF COURSE! But, would you find the climate more comfortable in the fall? Yes!

Operafan- It's been almost 50 years, but I'll never forget my summer visit to Houston (yes, I know you're from Dallas ;)). We landed at 2AM, back when there were no jetways, and I can still remember the heat and humidity that hit us as we went down the stairs to the tarmac. (I also remember how cold the airconditioning felt each time we entered a building!)

Years later, I found out that my mother-in-law had traveled to Houston for a long awaited reunion with long lost relatives. She got off the plane, and refused to leave the airport because it was so hot! They had to book her on the next flight back to NY.

So, how about if we wrap this up with: MANY of us live in VERY hot parts of the world :eek:. If you can handle the heat in one place, most likely you can handle the heat in another. But, wherever you go- take precautions: wear a hat, sunscreen, and drink plenty of water. (And, if you have a choice- visit sometime other than the summer ;))

As John Bull suggests:

Plenty of sun-cream, wear a hat, drink lots of water, walk on the shady side, take it easy, know your limitations.

That's the best advice for traveling anywhere in the world, just about any time of the year :)

Operafan- It's been almost 50 years, but I'll never forget my summer visit to Houston (yes, I know you're from Dallas ;)). We landed at 2AM, back when there were no jetways, and I can still remember the heat and humidity that hit us as we went down the stairs to the tarmac. (I also remember how cold the airconditioning felt each time we entered a building!)

Years later, I found out that my mother-in-law had traveled to Houston for a long awaited reunion with long lost relatives. She got off the plane, and refused to leave the airport because it was so hot! They had to book her on the next flight back to NY.

:)

This really did make me laugh out loud! As someone who's lived in Houston all of my 63 years (well, except for 3 1/2 years in Dallas during college), I'm reminded that I just THOUGHT that I knew heat and humidity. Was on the Amazon for 5 days all the way to Manaus last December - and I couldn't get over how much worse it was than anything Houston can throw at you in August! :D

I love that! If I'd have been smarter when I moved here 25 years ago (I'm from Chicago) I would have done the same thing..... (Especially after looking at this next week's forecast- 102, 103, 102, etc.)

Tillie, The only times I felt worse than here were in New Orleans and Athens. In New Orleans we walked outside, our glasses fogged up and we couldn't breathe. In Athens we walked from the train station up to the Acropolis and I had to resort to buying bottles of water to dump over my head. Wouldn't have won any beauty contests that day..... LOL.

Archived