tight for time

thecdndude

Hi

My in-laws are arriving on a late flight into Miami and an earlier flight is not possible. They will be taking cab from MIA to POM for the liberty of the seas on august 29, 2010. How long can you estimate that it will take from them grabbing their bags and snagging a cab to arriving at port. We were given conflicting information about deadline to check-in. First were told by a Royal agent that it was 60 min. before ship departs, then late told it is 90 min. i know its cutting it close my inlaws booked last minute and changing flights is going to be a real pain in the you know what if it is even possible

First answer is change flights.

I think it is not a good idea to fly in on the day you are embarking the ship because there are too many things to go wrong but it is far worse to cut it short by flying in late that day. What happens if plane is delayed a few hours? Will they make it? What happens if luggage takes a while to find? Big mistake. Get them to change their flights, even if it costs some money to do it.

I would figure 30 minutes to get from airport to port. Could be longer with traffic.

You need to check in for the ship 90 minutes before.

I can give you ten reasons why the plane can be delayed from mechanical issues to weather to FAA problems, to a security breach that closes down the airport, to an airline computer glitch, and the list goes on and on and on.

Keith

The problem at MIA is not the taxi time from the airport to the port. Absent an unusual traffic tie up, it is typically less than half an hour. The larger delay is typically from the time you step off the plane to the time you make it to the taxi stand. The walk is often quite substantial and, if you have checked bags, the wait can drag on and on. It can easily take over half-an-hour from leaving the plane to stepping into a cab.

Archived