Ok, this is going to sound like a weird ziplining question about osteoporosis

Brenda33

My family and I are visiting Roatan this August and have booked with Victor Bodden for the ziplining and private tour. After I booked the ziplining I was diagnosed at age 45 with osteoporosis. I am an otherwise healthy woman who works out at the gym everyday. I asked my doctor about ziplining and he basically did the dance around the question. It seemed to me like he was just trying to cover himself in case anything did happen. Basically he said that I was at risk for fractures with osteoporis. I see ziplining as sitting on a swing basically and sailing through the air. I don't really see any risk of getting hurt.....unless, of course, there is a fall....but wouldn't anyone get hurt if they fell???????? I mean it is ziplining and falling would be an extreme bad thing! Ok, so my question is, has anyone out there who has osteoporosis gone ziplining? Do you think it is safe? Thanks all for your help......I'm so sad.......my 8 year old really wants me to go ziplining with him.

While I havent done this tour, my son and I just zip lined in Alaska and it was so fun. I did not find it to be jarring on the body (i'm 39). It was actually very smooth. There was an 80 year old lady with her 60 year old daughter in our group and they had a blast. it was a very fun bonding experience with my son. Have fun!

If you tell your guides you have some concerns, they'll hook you to them and then help catch you at the platforms. Landings aren't that "rough" enough to break a bone. You probably jar more in a steps excercise class. If you have had recent fragility issues with smaller bones breaking or stress fractures, you may want to heed the underlying caution of your doctor; miss the zip than be in pain the rest of the cruise. But it's your call.

My family and I are visiting Roatan this August and have booked with Victor Bodden for the ziplining and private tour. After I booked the ziplining I was diagnosed at age 45 with osteoporosis. I am an otherwise healthy woman who works out at the gym everyday. I asked my doctor about ziplining and he basically did the dance around the question. It seemed to me like he was just trying to cover himself in case anything did happen. Basically he said that I was at risk for fractures with osteoporis. I see ziplining as sitting on a swing basically and sailing through the air. I don't really see any risk of getting hurt.....unless, of course, there is a fall....but wouldn't anyone get hurt if they fell???????? I mean it is ziplining and falling would be an extreme bad thing! Ok, so my question is, has anyone out there who has osteoporosis gone ziplining? Do you think it is safe? Thanks all for your help......I'm so sad.......my 8 year old really wants me to go ziplining with him.

I am a 65 yr old woman with osteopena/borderline osteoporosis. I ziplined in Puerto Vallata this past April for my birthday. No problem. I recommend you zipline; you won't want to pass up this opportunity. It's lots of fun. I plan to zipline again on my upcoming cruise.

C.

I am around your age and broke my leg ziplining in St. Marten 3 years ago. I've got osteopenia but not osteoporosis. Can't tell you what to do, but I'll never do it again!:eek:

Wow.......HOW did you break your leg?

I am a 65 yr old woman with osteopena/borderline osteoporosis. I ziplined in Puerto Vallata this past April for my birthday. No problem. I recommend you zipline; you won't want to pass up this opportunity. It's lots of fun. I plan to zipline again on my upcoming cruise.

C.

I was so happy when I read your post....but then I read the one after yours where the woman says she broke a leg..........uggghhhhhhhhh.......

How severe is your osteoporosis? It is usually expressed as a percentage of 100 as in your bone density is 80%, 95% and so on. If you are in otherwise good shape, exercising regularly (using weights) not terribly overweight and over 90% density I'd give it a try. Remember, it the end of the zip that is physically demanding and you have to land on the platform. The guides will help you with this because they would rather not see you get hurt either. Just be careful, keep your eyes wide open all of the time have fun. My wife and I did this in Roatan and it was the best time we ever had. I was 55 and she was 51 at the time.

How severe is your osteoporosis? It is usually expressed as a percentage of 100 as in your bone density is 80%, 95% and so on. If you are in otherwise good shape, exercising regularly (using weights) not terribly overweight and over 90% density I'd give it a try. Remember, it the end of the zip that is physically demanding and you have to land on the platform. The guides will help you with this because they would rather not see you get hurt either. Just be careful, keep your eyes wide open all of the time have fun. My wife and I did this in Roatan and it was the best time we ever had. I was 55 and she was 51 at the time.

The way they described my osteo was that my hip is a 2.7....what percentage this is I don't know. I do workout 5 days a week and only weigh 120 pounds. I just tried kick boxing yesterday too!! So yes, I am active and if you saw me, you would never know.......but its still there.

I just returned from a trip to Costa Rica, and one woman in our group had osteoporosis pretty bad. She had an on obvious deformity to her back. She went on every hike and even zip-lined with the group [i skipped the zip-lining, because of my own back problems]. She never once complained of any discomfort. Another woman did comment that because she was so light [very thin], that she had a hard time making it to the landing and ended up having a guide zip with her.

I cannot comment personally whether it is safe for you or not, but this woman in our group went. I was repeatedly assured that it was safe for me to go, despite other back problems, but after 6 years of chronic back pain, I wasn't personally willing to take the risk.

I've also been told that they have special equipment for those with back issues, but can't say for sure that all companies do.

My wife has degenerative disk disease in her back and had no problems at all.

You use a gloved hand to "brake" yourself and as long as you are able to brake correctly, you should have no problems. The rough landings are only because people are going to fast and are not braking enough.

I think that crewsweeper hit it on the nose; just have a guide go with you. Let the guide know about your concerns and that you need to have a smooth landing. He or she will surely make sure that you land smoothly.

Archived