Alaska advice needed

CLEMM

After having just returned (a couple of months ago now) from my 2nd Alaska cruise, I was thinking I wouldn't need to do that one again, but dmwnc, from looking at your pics, I'd sure love to see College Fjord! I think it makes sense, if I do do another one to Alaska, that I would do a one-way cruise instead, and get further north.

Several cruise lines do the 'Voyage of the Glaciers'. As indicated in an earlier post I did both N/B and S/B on Princess which was great. There are a few inherent problems which I outlined in my initial post, but other than College Fjord the ports are pretty much the same (nothing wrong with that, you can do different shore excursions!!!). Of the two I actually preferred the N/B because you hit the glaciers around noon instead of 'in*at 6am*and out by 9am' as on the S/B. I you slept in, you missed it!

Great information in post #48 as well! So many choices in Alaska, and so many ships to choose from. I guess that's the reason I did five Alaska cruises because each one was uniquely different; hitting different areas and ports, longer times in some, half days in others, different times of year. Each was a great cruise with so many memories I have to look back at all my photo albums just to remember them all!

Vancouver6.JPG

Vancouver7.JPG

Vancouver8.JPG

THE END........

These were just a few of the pictures I took on this one trip. As I mentioned before I have done five cruise to Alaska, this was the last of the five, so you may not see some of the common pictures of the ports that I may have taken in trips 1-4.

Dmwnc, these photos are absolutely beautiful:) it looks like Butchart

Gardens in Victoria.......

Dmwnc, these photos are absolutely beautiful:) it looks like Butchart

Gardens in Victoria.......

Indeed. Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver is quite nice for those unable to make it to Victoria to see Butchart Gardens. Just one of the reasons it is worth flying in a day or two early into Vancouver to sightsee, as well as the Gaslamp District, Stanley Park, Granville Island, Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Gardens, the Capilano Suspension Bridge, shopping on Robson Street, and even riding the Seabus to North Vancouver. Vancouver is one of my favorite cities!

Indeed. Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver is quite nice for those unable to make it to Victoria to see Butchart Gardens. Just one of the reasons it is worth flying in a day or two early into Vancouver to sightsee, as well as the Gaslamp District, Stanley Park, Granville Island, Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Gardens, the Capilano Suspension Bridge, shopping on Robson Street, and even riding the Seabus to North Vancouver. Vancouver is one of my favorite cities!

Oh, I agree.:) I LOVE Vancouver and Victoria:D. This is the first

summer in 3 years I did not book a cruise to Alaska and I have to say

I really miss it. I am booking one for the summer of 2011 though.:)

Several cruise lines do the 'Voyage of the Glaciers'. As indicated in an earlier post I did both N/B and S/B on Princess which was great. There are a few inherent problems which I outlined in my initial post, but other than College Fjord the ports are pretty much the same (nothing wrong with that, you can do different shore excursions!!!). Of the two I actually preferred the N/B because you hit the glaciers around noon instead of 'in*at 6am*and out by 9am' as on the S/B. I you slept in, you missed it!

Thank you for the extra information (and I do recall you mentioned the times you hit the glaciers in your original post). For some reason, probably because I'd go spend time in Victoria first (I have a brother there), I was already thinking if I did one-way, I'd do n/b. So, that works well.

That's exactly it, about hitting the same ports. If you do, you just do a different excursion. :) That's what I did with Juneau and Ketchikan.

I reread my post #48, and didn't say why I liked Icy Strait Point. I found it was way less commercial than the other ports, which is why I liked it. My tour was a search for bears, which we didn't see, but it was a beautiful day, and the scenery was amazing, anyway. There is a building when you arrive with vendors to buy from (like a lot of cruise ports have), but beyond that, far less commercial, I thought.

An interesting observation that I heard was that the best weather to view glaciers in was when it was mostly cloudy or overcast. The reason being was that the direct sunlight on the glaciers will make the glacier appear as a more solid mass and harshly white, as the indirect light from mostly cloudy or overcast skies allowed you to see the blues and variances in the crevices and ravines better. There is one specific glacier in Glacier Bay National Park called Lamplugh Glacier that is a beautiful blue color with an ice cave that is an amazing deeper blue that can best seen in cloudy and overcast conditions.

Also one of the disadvantages of going too early in the season (the first weeks of May) is that the past seasons snow fall on the top the glaciers may not have melted yet and can appear like icing on a sheet cake. Also the snow fall all the way down to the waterline often covers foliage and the animals are less likely to be out eating and foraging. One the one trip I did in early May we didnt see a single whale, eagle, or bear. We did see some Orca but that was about it. As as was mentioned previously the bergy bits clog up inlets to Tracy Arm and the Johns Hoplins Glacier and cruises ships either going in just a little ways or keep their distance taking away from the otherwise 'close-up' experience. On that one trip in early May we missed the Johns Hopkins Glacier all together because the whole inlet to that glacier was clogged.

One the one trip I did in early May we didnt see a single whale, eagle, or bear.

I've not seen bears from the ship on either of my cruises, but the wildlife was far more abundant on my mid-June cruise vs. my early May cruise.

Lots of whales on my mid-June cruise, but only a couple on the May cruise (that I heard about, I didn't see myself, and I spend quite a bit of time outside with my binoculars!).

Eagles, same thing, and most of the eagles I saw in May were only because of my binoculars. I had mostly chalked that up to the fact that we weren't as close to land on this cruise as on my first one to and from Vancouver, but I don't know that for sure.

The Rhapsody of the Seas is perhaps my favorite of the Vision-class. I also know several people who have sailed her including my brother and all speak highly of her as well. The decor is tasteful and pleasing to the eye, and some of her public spaces are quite beautiful. I hope you enjoy her as much as I did.

http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/rh/rh09.htm

Thanks so much for the link - it really gives a feel of what the Rhapsody is like.

Susan

Our first cruise EVER and it's to Alaska. Clothing question...

Trying not to bring my closet with me. Doing anytime dining, so no formal wear. Did the lady of your couple bring mostly long sleeve or short sleeve tops? I'm so NOT a fashiion plate and am trying to avoid lugging a ton of stuff with us. Some lists include SO much stuff! I agree with the other posters; your message was incredibly helpful. Thanks for taking the time!

Hey! 'You're Welcome' and Thanks! ANY other questions please feel free to ask. I look forward to the day I get to go back for another 5 cruises. People have commented that once you do a certain itinerary that's enough. I never tired of Alaska or the tranquil and stunning diverse scenery. Obviously once was not enough for me!

Trying not to bring my closet with me. Doing anytime dining, so no formal wear. Did the lady of your couple bring mostly long sleeve or short sleeve tops? I'm so NOT a fashiion plate and am trying to avoid lugging a ton of stuff with us. Some lists include SO much stuff! I agree with the other posters; your message was incredibly helpful. Thanks for taking the time!

Why would you not bring formal wear for Anytime Dining? You don't have to get dressed formally anyway - nice clothes are fine.

I'm still in the process of packing for my Alaskan cruise and I'm bringing a variety of short and long sleeved tops along with sweaters, fleece and coats - layering is my objective.

Trying not to bring my closet with me. Doing anytime dining, so no formal wear. Did the lady of your couple bring mostly long sleeve or short sleeve tops?

With Alaska you'll want layers. It can be nice, but it can also be chilly. Personally, I wear a lot of t-shirts (short sleeves), but I also have a two-layered jacket that is perfect for Alaska (and all my "cold"-weather cruises). The inner layer of the jacket can be used as a fleece jacket on its own, plus the outer layer is rain-resistant (will soak through if it gets too wet, though), with a hood, and can also be worn on its own, or the two parts of the jacket can be worn together.

So, really what you want are layers, because the temperature can vary. (Although, I know that doesn't help you bring less clothes... ;))

Hi Barbara, Alaska is fabulous:) but Anytime Dining does not

change the formal/smart casual nights. The difference is what

time you choose to eat.;)

For my Alaska cruises people tended to gravitate to the lesser end of the formal dress options. Lots of jeans and layers during the daytime. I never took a tux to Alaska and don't recall seeing many like you would on Caribbean or other itineraries. Alaska just seemed a bit more dress-down in the evenings. I did take a suit coat and tie but that was about it, nothing fancy. I don't recall what the ladies wore but it would seem that a nice pant suit with dressy top should be fine?

Archived