Luggage tags

7nucruzers

I read on here that when you print your luggage tags it's a good idea to either have them laminated or put clear tape over them. I took them to Staples to have them laminated the other day and the man advised me not to do it! He said they had several customers return after cruises that said the cruise lines would not accept them b/c they had been "tampered with"???? He did not know which cruise line these people were on but he heard it from several different ones at different times. Any thoughts on this???? I opted not to have them done but they are so flimsy I'm scared they will tear and our luggage will never find us!!! Help - suggestions solicited!

You don't need to bother taking them anywhere to have them laminated, or go to that expense. Just put clear packing tape over them, punch a hole, and attach with a zip tie when you arrive at the pier (if you are flying).

It is so simple, takes only a couple of minutes, and it really holds up.

I don't know which cruise line refused them with being laminated, but I laminate my own for each cruise with clear tape and have never had a problem.

It really isn't necessary to go to the expense of laminating them. You put them on just before you go to the ship after you've flown in (if you're flying to the port). I folded the sheet of paper as instructed and used clear packing tape to hold the ends together once I had it around the luggage handle. It was very sturdy and our luggage made it to our cabin no problem. You'll need to rip them off anyway once you get your luggage on board. No sense going to all that work for something that will be on there a few hours.

Just use tape, go to a dollar store and buy a roll, you will than have a life time supply ... or at least until Princess starts providing tags in the mail again. We always put our on our bags before we leave home as often airline check-in agents see them and tag our bags "PRIORITY", that way they are first off the plane and on the carousel.

I just stapled them. I also printed extra (paper is cheap although ink isn't :()

I also took a stapler in my bag in case I needed it. Only needed it for my brother who forgot to bring one.

Interesting thing was when I checked in at the airline counter they put their tag over the cruise tag because it has a bar code and she wanted to make sure their reader read the right code when sorting my bag in the airport.

I read on here that when you print your luggage tags it's a good idea to either have them laminated or put clear tape over them. I took them to Staples to have them laminated the other day and the man advised me not to do it! He said they had several customers return after cruises that said the cruise lines would not accept them b/c they had been "tampered with"???? He did not know which cruise line these people were on but he heard it from several different ones at different times. Any thoughts on this???? I opted not to have them done but they are so flimsy I'm scared they will tear and our luggage will never find us!!! Help - suggestions solicited!

We put packing tape on ours and used the zip tie mentioned. Don't put the tag on until you are at the point to hand your luggage over to Princess if you are using their bus service. So don't put the tags on until you land in London. We did this and no problems. Worked great for us, no problems.

Or just wait until you get to the port and the luggage guys will write out tags for you and kindly put them on your luggage :) I've forgotten mine a few times and worried to death - but they are always prepared for us :)

I printed mine on non-smear photo paper and they did great. My relatives printed theirs on regular photo paper that was not non-smear and the rain smeared the information and the luggage did not get to their room until they called about it and had to describe the luggage!

I am just going to say it I hate the paper bag tags!!!:eek: I don't see why Princess can't send out real bag tags like Royal Caribbean does. So far I haven't had a problem with them, but I miss the old ones.

Eventually Royal Caribbean will do the same thing... it's all about saving money and as postage rates increase it'll be cost-effective to change to having the passenger print their own labels...

Royal Caribbean already is doing the same thing, However, upon request, they will mail to you the regular style luggage tags.

At least they give me the choice which I like. (I will be honest I didn't realize it was a choice since it just said click here to have your bag tags sent to you) I think it is a nice touch.

I like the idea of waiting until I get to the pier and get nice ones that won't run in the rain! Something up until now I didn't even think about.

The only problem with waiting until you get to the pier, and this is purely anecdotal based on my one and only experience with this, is that while I and my bags arrived pierside at around 11am, my bags didn't arrive at my cabin until nearly 5:30pm -- looooooooooong after everyone else on my hall got theirs. In other words, I'm convinced that the pre-printed tags make luggage delivery much smoother/easier/faster and if you don't have the preprinted ones, with the big F or A and the barcode, it's going to take them longer to get your bags to you. Now, as I say, I base this on one experience only but it was annoying/nervewracking enough that from now on, I -- a confirmed hater of the new print-your-own system -- will print out my own and not rely on the ones filled out pierside.

We put packing tape on ours, punch a hole in them and put them on with a zip tie. Works like a charm and they are almost indestructable.

However - we DO put ours on before putting our bags on the plane. If your luggage is lost or delayed, how is it going to get to the ship? The airport doesn't have a clue where you go once you leave the airport. Our luggage was "lost" (or delayed as the airline put it) on our first trip to Alaska. We landed in Fairbanks for a pre-cruise stay. Our luggage showed up in Anchorage 2 1/2 days later at the Princess motor-coach meeting site BECAUSE the Sapphire Princess tags were on the bags. The guy that brought them said that had it not been for the Princess tags, our bags would have been returned to our home airport for pick-up. They were able to contact Princess and find out where we were.

Just our experience - others may feel differently, but when we leave the house, those cruise line tags are on the bags when we are flying to our embarkation port.

We put packing tape on ours, punch a hole in them and put them on with a zip tie. Works like a charm and they are almost indestructable.

However - we DO put ours on before putting our bags on the plane. If your luggage is lost or delayed, how is it going to get to the ship? The airport doesn't have a clue where you go once you leave the airport. Our luggage was "lost" (or delayed as the airline put it) on our first trip to Alaska. We landed in Fairbanks for a pre-cruise stay. Our luggage showed up in Anchorage 2 1/2 days later at the Princess motor-coach meeting site BECAUSE the Sapphire Princess tags were on the bags. The guy that brought them said that had it not been for the Princess tags, our bags would have been returned to our home airport for pick-up. They were able to contact Princess and find out where we were.

Just our experience - others may feel differently, but when we leave the house, those cruise line tags are on the bags when we are flying to our embarkation port.

Our luggage was "lost" by USAIR from PHL to FLL. When we had to report to their claims counter they were very glad we had put our cruise tags on the bags. They said that would allow them to identify them quickly and route them to the correct ship. So, I have put them on before we fly ever since. BTW... I learned the hard way on another cruise to put those tags on EVERY piece of luggage, including my carry-on. My small carry-on was taken out of the trailer hitched to the small bus we took from the hotel by mistake. It was ready to board the wrong ship when it was located. :eek:

Our luggage was "lost" by USAIR from PHL to FLL. When we had to report to their claims counter they were very glad we had put our cruise tags on the bags. They said that would allow them to identify them quickly and route them to the correct ship. So, I have put them on before we fly ever since. BTW... I learned the hard way on another cruise to put those tags on EVERY piece of luggage, including my carry-on. My small carry-on was taken out of the trailer hitched to the small bus we took from the hotel by mistake. It was ready to board the wrong ship when it was located. :eek:

Great point and one that should be passed along. We do put them on our carry-on's but not on our back-packs. Guess we should start putting them on those as well - just in case. Glad to know that there is someone else out there that feels that it is important to have those cruise tags on their luggage when flying. You just never know....thanks for sharing. :)

Princess advises to place your luggage tags on before leaving home as well.

Mike:)

I always put my luggage tags on at home before I leave, even if I am spending pre cruise at a hotel. I also laminated both Jan and my tags, we had the paper at home to do that.

Thanks! We printed the Princess luggage tags and will put packing tape on them and put them on our luggage when we leave DC for Fairbanks to start our cruisetour. Not to sound truly stupid, but what exactly do you mean by a zip tie? It's our first cruise, we almost always drive on vacations and we are embarrassingly clueless. Since we're new at roaming these boards, pls email me directly at barbara1973@hotmail.com. Thanks so much!!

Archived