Is it worth it to upgrade

kattchatt

I am getting phone messages and e-mails asking me to upgrade my daughter from an inside cabin to a balcony for $400.00...They want me to upgrade from a balcony BD to a family deluxe balcony D2 for $200.00 I'm sure everyones getting these messages...Is it worth the $$$ to move...Has anyone actually been upgraded...I was hoping for a FREE upgrade...

If you've read some of the other threads, most of us are not getting those calls offering an upgrade. I'd love to know which sailing you're on and whether or not you booked directly with NCL or through a TA. Also, are you a Latitudes member and what level?

I'm just trying to figure out what criteria NCL uses when making these offers.

I sail in 2 days and booked directly through the internet...I am calling them tonight to get further info....Only problem is I really want to be near my daughters cabin....

That's certainly the tradeoff. I have a connecting room, and if I upgrade I won't have a connection to my parents and son (5th family member) who is bunking with them.

We received a call about this today, offering a $200 upgrade from a balcony to a deluxe balcony and a $200 upgrade from my inside studio to a regular balcony (I'm 28 and staying in the studio, my parents and younger sister are staying in the balcony room).

Though the studio-to-balcony upgrade option is a deal for $200, the balcony-to-deluxe-balcony upgrade is not.

First of all, the $200 upgrade fee actually works out to be the same as the $100-per-person (for the first two occupants) difference between a regular balcony and a deluxe balcony on any given day. Check NCL's prices on their website, it's all right there. A regular balcony room is $1,349 per person (first two occupants) and a deluxe balcony is $1,439 per person (first two occupants). So that $200 "upgrade fee" is the same *exact* amount difference between the two room types anyway. Bottom line: they're trying to pass off their "Upgrade Special Offer" as just that, a special offer, when it is in reality just their normal pricing.

Additionally, the only difference between a standard balcony room and a "deluxe" balcony room is 29 sq ft more space (216 sq ft standard balcony vs 245 sq ft deluxe balcony) which is being touted (at least by the sales rep in the phone call I received) as a "sitting area". Now, this may sound appealing, but keep in mind the extra space is in the length, not width, of the cabin. I'm not sure what the average width of the cabins are, but this works out to about 3 feet long x 10 feet wide extra room, which then you must subtract closet and counter space from, so you're left with extra space maybe about the size of a kitchen table that you can actually use. This space is located between the couch and the bed (or the bed and the balcony window, depending on the room setup) so though it does open up enough room for two people to be able to pass each other, it doesn't end up being anything very practical or very useful (or noticeable, even).

(I ended up writing more than I expected, sorry for the length and minutia)

Long story short, IMO the $200 deluxe balcony upgrade isn't really worth it unless you've got three or four people in your room and money is no issue. Personally, I'd rather just take that $200 and put it toward something fun on-island. The inside studio to balcony room upgrade would be worth it of course, if you have multiple people. For me, as a single traveler in a studio room with access to my family's balcony room, I have no need for it.

All the measurements and prices I mentioned are taken directly from NCL's website.

Hopefully this helps.

Jason

I forgot to mention: we've been on three cruises with NCL and are still a Latitudes Bronze member (silver requires five cruises). So, I have no idea what the requisite conditions are for an unsolicited upgrade offer via phone or e-mail.

I sail in 2 days and booked directly through the internet...I am calling them tonight to get further info....Only problem is I really want to be near my daughters cabin....

If happy with the current locations and prefer not to be moves to far appart

Make a counter offer,

Sugest 2 delux balcony cabins close together for $300

Make sure you have a deck plan handy so you can check whats offered.

It's a no brainer to upgrade from studio to balcony. As cool as the studios look, they are very cramped and there is not much storage space, and of course no outside view! I was upgraded from a studio to a balcony on the Epic TA and was very glad that happened!

Just talked to NCL they are not doing upsells for the 7-17 sailing..Lots of open cabins but they wont discount them...oh well..

At least I will be on board this Sat.

Assuming Kattchatt is telling the truth about her upgrade offer (and I have no reason to doubt her), NCL is not telling you the truth since Kattchatt is on the 7/17 sailing.

Assuming Kattchatt is telling the truth about her upgrade offer (and I have no reason to doubt her), NCL is not telling you the truth since Kattchatt is on the 7/17 sailing.

I will try callin them again....any suggestions as to what to say?

I will try callin them again....any suggestions as to what to say?

I also called this morning (I'm on the 7/17 sailing) and they told me the same thing. Called twice to make sure I was being told the same thing both times. No upgrade, no upsell, nothing... "the ship is almost full". I don't understand how some get offers for upgrades and some don't? Is it b/c you have to be a Latitudes member? This is my first NCL cruise.

Just got thru to upsell dept. It took many attempts. If you asked to be transfered to main switchboard and then ask for someone in the upsell dept you can get thru.

I did and went from studio to BA # 11319 for the 7-17 sailing

They charged me $350 total which I think was really good.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good cabin with the bed next to balcony not entrance?

THanks and good luck everyone

Just got thru to upsell dept. It took many attempts. If you asked to be transfered to main switchboard and then ask for someone in the upsell dept you can get thru.

I did and went from studio to BA # 11319 for the 7-17 sailing

They charged me $350 total which I think was really good.

Can anyone tell me if this is a good cabin with the bed next to balcony not entrance?

THanks and good luck everyone

That's great! I will try to call again. Enjoy! :)

Archived