pand o parking at southhamton docks

Roaming Rover

Being on the Isle of Wight I don't normally use the parking facilities, however had free parking on one cruise which started on a Monday. As I was in Coventry over the weekend on a Service's Reunion, I thought, drive to Southampton on the Monday, use free parking for the cruise, pick car up at the end, return home. Worked a treat, BUT ..............

The cruise left from Mayflower Terminal and returned to City Terminal. No problem, they moved the car and drove like hell. My car has a computer to tell me 'how many miles you can do with the petrol in the tank, driving as you are now'. Over 50 when I left the car. I was amazed to read on getting into the car I had FIVE MILES worth of petrol. A few things left in the boot had been trown to one side. As I drove to the petrol station, wondering if the tank had been drained, the milage crept up to 50 ish.

So if you have a 'sporty' car, mine is a 5 Series BMW SE Auto, and your car has to be moved from terminal to terminal, just be warned, it will get thrashed.

My last few cruises have had different arrival and departure berths and we have a brand new car and have never had a problem, they drive your car directly to the car park when you will be arriving back at... for example. Leave from the new Ocean Terminal, they take my car and drive it to say, Mayflower which is a mile or so away and park it ready for collection.

Rum Rat - your car may have gone a very short distance and used a lot of fuel in doing so due to a slow speed.

I have a Jag X type - the other night I left the office with 40 miles showing. By the time I had negotiated one set of lights which required 6 changes it had gone down to 25 miles, but I had only driven about 400 metres in 10 minutes!

By the time I got to the fuel station 7 miles on, which I did in about 20 minutes, it was showing 23 miles.

Archived