Port Canaveral

JPVENDING

You would fly into Orlando, less than an hour away. There are a few small airports closer but most planes go through Orlando. We have used the port often and had no problems. It is not within an easy walk to anything but is near Coco Beach. There are several motels that offer free shuttle to the port if you go early.

It's been my experience that the smaller the airport the bigger the cost to get there. I vote for Orlando International too. It's a major airport that all major airlines go to. There are shuttles for the cruise lines you can take.

It is my favorite port in Florida. While probably not a concern for you but the roads are well marked and parking is convient.

I have sailed on Holland America, RCCL, and Disney from this port and check in has been excellent.

There are some nice hotels in Cocoa Beach which is close to the port.

Port Canaverals a nice place- I am from the area- they recently fixed it up and it has its own little entertainment district and well maintained parks that are very nice (on the South side opposite the Cruise Ships)

I recommend flying into Melbourne if it doesn't cost much more- The airport is serviced by large planes daily and it is small and easy to navigate (unlike Orlando) Transportation would also probably be cheaper as it is much closer to the Port (plane tix are usually about $50-75 more than Orlando)

Sovereign of the Seas Feb 28, 2005 Spring Break!

Thanks for the tip on Melbourne, it is not any more expensive out of CVG,

How do you get from airport to port. Are there shuttles or do you need to take a taxi? Also how far is is it to port, it looks much closer than Orlando?

Anybody who has gone this way... can you offer tips and cost for ground trans?

Thanks

It about 15 mies from the port. Look on Melbourne airports website it may give the name of some shuttle services. You could also call the local taxi service and get an estimate.

I am not sure where you got your information, but please allow more than 15 minutes from Melbourne to the port, (unless you are taking a helicopter or something!).

Actually it is about the same amount of time to come from Orlando as it is from Melbourne, though the port is a tad closer to Melbourne, it is a straight shot (it's called the "Bee-line" for a reason), down 528 highway to the port, vs. traveling through town in Melbourne. Both trips take about 45 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore flying in and out of Melbourne, and do it often as it is such a nice little uncrowded airport with easy access and parking. The only carrier out of there is Delta, my favorite, but not always the cheapest.

Just wanted you to have a head's up.

Welcome to Florida!

Cheers!

Wannacruise:

I am quite sure there is a non stop to Melbourne from CVG...check delta.com.

Aggree with the distance, probably 30-40 minutes, but a much easier/faster airport to get in and out of.

Try the Melbourne AP Shuttle, a reputable local company, I'm sure they can get you to the Port.

phone is 321-826-4544.

I am not sure where you got your information, but please allow more than 15 minutes from Melbourne to the port, (unless you are taking a helicopter or something!).

Actually it is about the same amount of time to come from Orlando as it is from Melbourne, though the port is a tad closer to Melbourne, it is a straight shot (it's called the "Bee-line" for a reason), down 528 highway to the port, vs. traveling through town in Melbourne. Both trips take about 45 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore flying in and out of Melbourne, and do it often as it is such a nice little uncrowded airport with easy access and parking. The only carrier out of there is Delta, my favorite, but not always the cheapest.

Just wanted you to have a head's up.

Welcome to Florida!

Cheers!

15 MILES..I typoed and for got the l. We were just in Melbourne last weekend and stayed at the Hilton across the street from the Airport. We drove up to the port and it took us 25 mins right up A1A

I live 5 miles due West of the port. It takes me about 10 minutes to get to it from my house.

The Melbourne airport is South and even further West of my house. It takes me anywhere between 30-40 minutes to get to the airport from my house.

I take my hubby, who flies often for his job, to the airport there quite frequently. On a good day with no traffic we can get there in 25 minutes, but some days it is as long as 40.

We have used Orlando many times also, and it takes about 40 minutes.

As long as we fly Delta, we can use Melbourne, though sometimes their connections and prices are not as good, we much prefer Melbourne for the convenience of less hassles with parking and crowds. But if you are not parking a car, it is not an issue.

Delta only flies direct to Atlanta at Melbourne airport, and just came out with the new direct routes to NY.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Delta now flies nonsop from New York City to Melbourne. Delta also has other flights that go through Atlanta.

Hey Chotton - I see that you are sailing on the 7/10 Mariner! So are we! There is a roll call going for this sailing - if you're interested you could get to it here:

Mariner 7/10/05 Roll Call - First Page

It would be great to have someone who has been on so many RC Cruises participate. Hope to see you there!

So..... it looks like the drive from Orlando and Melbourne are not that much diferent, so I guess the difference will be the cost of shuttle. I got a price from melbourne of $36. one way, I haven't checked Orlando yet.

I'll update when I get that info.

Thanks all for your help. ML

Have sailed from Pt. Canaveral three times with a fourth time coming up in 7 weeks, and we drive from ATL (500 miles, 7.5 hours) the night before, or sometimes just to Jacksonville if we leave after work on a Friday for a Saturday embarkation, then leave a straight shot 150 miles on the interstate to arrive before boarding has started anyway.

Pt. Canaveral is well laid out, has several nearby stores if you realize you forgot something (or in our case, if it turns out to be so darn cold that I needed a sweatshirt after all). Enjoy the cruise. Also perhaps check the disboards disney cruise line board for experts on the port and flying in, etc. Just ignore all the WDW references.

Just wondering if you all think the seas are rougher going out of Port Canaveral. I just sailed on the Sovereign last week and it was really rough when we left and came back. Just curious if this is normal or just because the last ship we were on was Navigator out of Miami and it was much bigger, and newer. A friend said she had heard that it is usually rough seas leaving Port Canaveral, so I just thought I would see what you all thought. Is she right? Would you expect rough seas leaving Port Canaveral?

Thanks

That completely depends on what time of year that you cruise.

The seas mostly lay down nicely in summer time, but tend to whip themselves up a bit in the winter, and of course during hurricane season (Fall).

You can run into rough seas anywhere on the Atlantic, though I think the roughest of all seas are way up the Eastern Sea board. I would think sailings out of New York would be a little rough.

The difference between Miami and Port Canaveral is not much, and both can be relative. The larger ships are indeed a little more solid for less rocking and rolling. On most of them you can hardly even tell you are on the sea.

It is still the Atlantic, which is unpredictable. For truely calmer seas, you could always sail out of Texas, Tampa, New Orleans etc. as they start out in the calmer gulf coast side.

Cheers!

Archived