Teens in gym?

Is there a minimum age limit in the gyms? We are going on Freedom in a few weeks with my DD who is 13. She is a year-round swimmer and works out alot. Will she be able to go to the gym and use the equipment or take any classes? We would be there with her.

I have the same question. We are going on the Explorer and our 14 year old son is training for cross country track try outs and preferably he will run on the outdoor jogging track but if the weather is bad I was wondering if he could use the treadmills in the gym. We would accompany him there.

The age to use the gym is 16 and I would think that they have an age requirement due to insurance purposes, not just to keep out kids.

I can tell you that my son used the gym when he was just over 15 and no-one queried his age but all you need is for another cruiser to make a fuss and your child could be asked to leave. Therefore I would speak with whoever is in charge of the gym once you board and ask for permission, they may ask you to sign a waiver and require that you are there with them, when using the gym and that they don't use it at peak times. We did this on a land-based holiday earlier in the year, when the gym age was 18 and my son is now 16.

On ships such as the Explorer and the Freedom, where the gym is large and there are more machines on offer, you may get lucky. On a smaller ship, with fewer machines you may find the 'grown-ups' object to a machine being used by a 'kid'.

Good luck - I'm sure your sporty kids will get much better use out of the equipment than some people I've seen in there ;):D

I believe the age for the gym is 16. From my experience that has been enforced fairly strictly.

If I may give a little advise...I am the mom of an ex year round swimmer. From the age of 12 my DS was always ranked in the top 15 of his age group with the highest ranking of #1. He never really got to take a REAL vacation (always worked out). By the time college rolled around we had a complete moving box filled with colleges who wanted him to go to their school. All he wanted to do was be a "real kid". He never swam in college.

Just let your kids have a great cruise and enjoy themselves. Really, a week off will help in the mental side of the sport, because they will just get to be "kids". Have a great cruise!

On ships such as the Explorer and the Freedom, where the gym is large and there are more machines on offer, you may get lucky. On a smaller ship, with fewer machines you may find the 'grown-ups' object to a machine being used by a 'kid'.

Good luck - I'm sure your sporty kids will get much better use out of the equipment than some people I've seen in there ;):D

I hadn't thought about that, that's good to know. We're on Explorer next week and my son is 15 and was planning on using the gym. Of course, he's also nearly 6 foot tall (taller than I am) so I would be surprised if he got asked.

My last cruise, I watched a woman next to me on a treadmill for 15 minutes set at 1.0 mph - yes ONE MPH, and zero incline. I think she would have gotten more exercise walking to the gym than in it! :D

But hey - any exercise is better than none.

My last cruise, I watched a woman next to me on a treadmill for 15 minutes set at 1.0 mph - yes ONE MPH, and zero incline. I think she would have gotten more exercise walking to the gym than in it! :D

But hey - any exercise is better than none.

Maybe this is all the woman could do. Maybe she was recovering from surgery. Don't judge. I got chasitsed from some jock for using a machine at the lowest settings. I was recovering from a severe accident and my body couldn't do more than that.

The age to use the gym is 16 and I would think that they have an age requirement due to insurance purposes, not just to keep out kids.

I can tell you that my son used the gym when he was just over 15 and no-one queried his age but all you need is for another cruiser to make a fuss and your child could be asked to leave. Therefore I would speak with whoever is in charge of the gym once you board and ask for permission, they may ask you to sign a waiver and require that you are there with them, when using the gym and that they don't use it at peak times. We did this on a land-based holiday earlier in the year, when the gym age was 18 and my son is now 16.

Don't ask for permission. There are no waivers or exceptions (if they allow one, they'll have to allow all), and you'll only get a "no." If the child looks 16 they'll likely get away with it. If not, it's down to if anyone notice's. If the fitness staff are busy with classes at the time you're more likely to get away with it. Also, make sure the child has proper shoes on, sandals will be another red flag.

Don't ask for permission. There are no waivers or exceptions (if they allow one, they'll have to allow all), and you'll only get a "no." If the child looks 16 they'll likely get away with it. If not, it's down to if anyone notice's. If the fitness staff are busy with classes at the time you're more likely to get away with it. Also, make sure the child has proper shoes on, sandals will be another red flag.

There are exceptions, they are noted in the guest conduct policy on the RCL website.

Guests ages 13 to 15 may be permitted to utilize the Fitness Center during certain times of the day; provided the young guest is accompanied and supervised at all times by their parent or guardian and provided a waiver of liability has been signed by the parent or guardian who is present in the fitness

center. See the Cruise Compass or contact Guest Services for the specific Fitness Center age restrictions on your cruise vacation.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf

Thanks for the info...we will check when we get there. I just thought that as long as DH and I are in the gym, she might want to get on the treadmill or stretch or something. If she can't go to the gym, we will just hit the jogging track. She is really looking forward to the flowrider and rock wall so that might be all she needs.

• 4 weeks later...
Maybe this is all the woman could do. Maybe she was recovering from surgery. Don't judge. I got chasitsed from some jock for using a machine at the lowest settings. I was recovering from a severe accident and my body couldn't do more than that.

I'm sorry your interpreted my comment that way. I certainly wasn't judging from that comment - which is exactly why I wrote "Any exercise is better than none." I didn't say or imply that she shouldn't be there, or had no right to use it. (And I wasn't the jock that chastised you.)

I applaud anybody who engages in exercise of any kind. Especially on a cruise.

Archived