San Diego Hotel

bunny100

We are planning a cruise to Hawaii this December and we have to fly to San Diego to board the ship. Would like to fly in a few days early and check out San Diego, any recommendations on a hotel that is close to the dock?

We are planning a cruise to Hawaii this December and we have to fly to San Diego to board the ship. Would like to fly in a few days early and check out San Diego, any recommendations on a hotel that is close to the dock?

Bunny - you should post your question on the West Cost Departure page. All I can tell you is we are also doing a December cruise and are staying at the Holiday Inn on the Bay, which is across the street from the cruise terminal.

I live in San Diego. I recommend the Holiday Inn on Harbor Drive. It is located across from the cruise terminal and the Bellman will deliver your luggage to the ship. It is in walking distance to shopping, the San Diego Trolley and the Ho Ho trolley, and much more. Probably a $10. cab ride from the airport.

Another vote for Holiday Inn on the Bay. Do not confuse it with Holiday Inn Bayside, which is a different property, and further away from everything.

Holiday Inn on the Bay has a nice restaurant w/lounge off the lobby, and a Ruth's Cris Steakhouse on the grounds. Get a tower room overlooking the port. Then watch your ship come in, and listen to the announcements as the previous passengers get ready to make room for you!

Last year I read a post on CC by someone telling us why they stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay. Their exact statement was" sitting on the balcony it looked like my ship came right into my room." Well that was the only reason we booked the hotel. And yes it was an amazing sight to see.

Another vote for the Holiday Inn on the Bay---we stayed there for two nights in April. We had a tower room with a harbour view---got up early and sat on the balcony with my coffee and watched our ship come in. Good stuff. They also have a free shuttle from the airport and a shuttle over to the pier. The restaurant downstairs is great---friendly staff and good food. You can walk along the harbour area for quite a distance and it is a nice safe area---or so it seemed to us. If we ever cruise from San Diego again we will be in no doubt about where to stay.

Yet another vote. Here is the view from room 749 of the Holiday Inn on the Bay. I could hear the debarkation announcements on the Radiance of the Seas from my balcony.

If you are comfortable using hotwire, you can isolate this property by the laundry icon. I was able to get $65.00 plus tax, but it took patience because I was bidding on a holiday weekend. It might be easier for you.

The room wasn't anything 'special'. It was clean and had free internet and coffee (all I needed). They do offer free transportation from the airport and will also give you transportation to the gaslight district if needed. I walked, it was short. The harbor area is great for a morning stroll also.

Anyway, here's the photo. This was taken from the bed. NOtice the balcony furniture. Can't get much closer to a cruise ship:

DSC06688.jpg

PS: I believe HAL uses the north slot in the San Diego terminal so you may want to ask to stay in the North Tower of the hotel to get this view of your HAL ship.

Cheryl :)

We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites both pre and post cruise.

It is not far from the cruise terminal -- they have free shuttle to and from the airport and the pier.

It is within walking distance of Seaport Village -- lots of shops and restaurants. Within walking distance of Horton Plaza and Ralph's store if you forgot anything. Also within walking distance of Midway.

We got the bus right across the street to go to the zoo and Balboa Park.

Here's another vote for Holiday Inn on the Bay. We were very impressed with their service. They provided a shuttle from and to the airport and to the pier. Since we were staying over another day when we came back from the cruise, they also picked us up and took us back to the hotel from the pier. They also have a free shuttle to the San Diego Zoo. The view of the ships coming in is amazing.

Whatever you do...upon your return do NOT plan on flying out too early. I would plan on flying out in the early afternoon.

:) This will be our first visit to San Diego (Jan.2011) -- our ship returns on Feb. 3 --- can you give your reasoning, please? :confused:

:) This will be our first visit to San Diego (Jan.2011) -- our ship returns on Feb. 3 --- can you give your reasoning, please? :confused:

When we arrived in San Diego in May the ship was not cleared by officials until almost 11AM. Not good for early flights. Better to play it safe and book for later

And the Embassy Suites has a full complimentary breakfast every morning. Also there is the Manager's Reception in the evening -- free cocktails and this Embassy Suites puts out a nice variety of snacks from 5:30 - 7:30 -- free each evening.

(bolding mine) Yeah, I agree, what's not to love about all that, KK.

That said, I like to substitute included for "complimentary" and "free" ... kind of like the free laundry when you book a suite on HAL. ;)

Embassy Suites certainly isn't giving you these things for "free." Nor does HAL.

But we love 'em both, don't we? :D

Reason 1 -- San Diego gets foggy!! Had a couple of ships that arrived late due to fog.

Reason 2 -- happend in 2009 -- we got there on time but ship did not clear until 10:40 -- one foreign couple never reported to immigration until the announcement was made in German.

I like the Hampton Inn on the Pacific Highway, just 2 blocks over from the cruise terminal.

Roz

We, too, prefer this Hotel. It's just across the street from H.I. and includes breakfast...........even waffles...........lots to choose from. It's much less expensive and when you add on breakfast you buy at other places..........;)..........you're saving even more.

We could see the "O" first thing in the morning and walked to her.

They pick you up at the airport and take you to the ship; we just preferred to walk.

The rooms have been re-done...........gorgeous granite, furniture, etc.

In ANY of the hotels in this area, request a room on the front (sea) side because those trains can be LOUD. At Hampton they even had

white-noise machines if you cared to listen to the ocean or a stream or the rain, etc.

KAYEF,

I used the shuttle from the airport, but just walked and rolled my suitcases on over to the cruise terminal. I had one of the rooms fronting on the bay side of the hotel, and saw the "O" first thing in the morning. A nice way to get the day off to a good start.

I've recommended this hotel to several people who were planning a visit to SD. The easiest port I've ever cruises out of, and SD is a beautiful (but expensive!) city.

Roz

We, too, prefer this Hotel. It's just across the street from H.I. and includes breakfast...........even waffles...........lots to choose from. It's much less expensive and when you add on breakfast you buy at other places..........;)..........you're saving even more.

We could see the "O" first thing in the morning and walked to her.

They pick you up at the airport and take you to the ship; we just preferred to walk.

The rooms have been re-done...........gorgeous granite, furniture, etc.

In ANY of the hotels in this area, request a room on the front (sea) side because those trains can be LOUD. At Hampton they even had

white-noise machines if you cared to listen to the ocean or a stream or the rain, etc.

We used this hotel in Jan 2010 and it is GREAT for a pre-cruise stay and cheaper than the HI. They also have a computer in the lobby with free internet to do your last minute Cruise Critc updates before leaving for the ship:D

Archived