1998 Grand Princess Commemorative Coin

happer

I got this 1998 inaugral season grand princess commemorative coin from a slot machine on the cruise. Its printed .999 silver HSP and has a Mermaid on one side of coin. It measures 1 3/4 inches across. the other side has grand princess boat. The center of coin is silver color and the outer 1/4 inch has gold color. Came with a plastic cover. Has anyone seen one of these before ? Is it worth much? Nobody on ship could tell me much if anything. One lady offered me a hundred dollars for it just because she liked it. I think she may have been drunk at the time though. Still kept it.

I did a google search and it didn't pull up anything. My guess, it is more or less a keepsake item then an item of extreme value. But you never know, someday it could be valuable or show up on EBay. ;)

Could always try going to a coin dealer as well,,,,,:):):)

Bob

Why would you want to give that coin away? While many items are available that show the same ship, none of them say "inaugural voyage" anymore because she is 12 years old. If I sailed on a ship's inaugural voyage, I would definitely keep whatever little gift the cruise line gave me for being on that sailing.

I have one for the first American Airlines cross country 747 flight from Dulles to San Francisco March 1970. I also have 3 NCL silver coins from her slots from 10 years ago. Maybe a collector is interested.

The coin you describe is called a "silver strike." Certain slot machines throughout the world have paid these out in the past, although they are much less frequent these days. There are collectors out there for these tokens, and you can find out more by typing "silver strike" in any search engine.

Most silver strikes have a face value of $10 (although other denominations do exist). If I was offered $100 for one back in 1998, when it was new, I would have taken it in a minute. Chances are the strike you reference is worth about $10.

We have one of those coins, too. We were on the Grand for her first Trans-Atlantic voyage in September 1998. It was quite exciting sailing into New York City with the all the hoopla. At that time she was the biggest cruise ship.

Cheers, Denise

Just a thought; silver is currently trading at about $18 per ounce. At .999 silver, it's not hard to figure the value in terms of commodity trading. Personally, I would offer you more than that because of the intrinsic value.

• 4 years later...