Port of Baltimore, where to stay?

GAHart

We were just there on the package -- hotel was fine, free parking was great, shuttle was practically nonexistent. There was no ordering of departures in the am, so quite a zoo of people. We waited about 45 min. outside in a line, saw only 1 shuttle going to the airport, and decided to share a taxi van to the cruiseport with another couple. Decided to take a cab ($30) back as well rather than wait for hours. At least the free parking for 11 days made up for it.

were there lots of empty cabs waiting at the cruise terminal?

I have also been wondering about what stay and cruise package to go with. We are cruising in February. Does anyone have information on the Holiday Inn Express at the Stadiums? I am wondering about the neighborhood safety and the overall hotel. We do not plan on walking to dinner, ect from the hotel, but would want to feel safe at night and leaving our car there.

Thanks

We just stayed at the Hyatt Place at BWI. It was a very comfortable room with a separate sleeping area, office area, vanity area, and a seating area with a sectional sofa and a 42 inch LCD TV. The shuttle cost $5 pp each way but the total cost of the package was only $150. The area is very safe and we weren't uncomfortable leaving our car there. We were the only ones in the shuttle both to and from the port. The shuttle only serves the Hyatt Place.

The Baltimore cruise terminal was very efficient. We got out of the shuttle and were on the ship within 10 minutes. We arrived at the port at about 11 am.

Edited by judynorth

I have also been wondering about what stay and cruise package to go with. We are cruising in February. Does anyone have information on the Holiday Inn Express at the Stadiums? I am wondering about the neighborhood safety and the overall hotel. We do not plan on walking to dinner, ect from the hotel, but would want to feel safe at night and leaving our car there.

Thanks

This hotel is near the football stadium. I do not know about the hotels quality but it is on the edge of downtown on Russell St. The area is kind of sketchy, nothing really near it and I would not want to walk the area especially after dark. You would be better off staying closer to the Inner Harbor or out at BWI.

This hotel is near the football stadium. I do not know about the hotels quality but it is on the edge of downtown on Russell St. The area is kind of sketchy, nothing really near it and I would not want to walk the area especially after dark. You would be better off staying closer to the Inner Harbor or out at BWI.

Melissa,

Eng23 has offered you good advice. I'd avoid that hotel near the stadium on Russell St.

Thanks for the advice. We will look into something in the inner harbor or near the airport. There seems to be quite a few hotels offering a package in those areas. I would rather pay a little more if it would be safer and less sketchy!!

Does anyone know if Sleep Inn has a reataurant where we could get dinner or is there one close enough for a couple of seniors to walk to? If no dining available there can anyone reccomend a hotel.

Thanks,

Cyndi

We stayed at the Hyatt Place and there was a Ruby Tuesday next door.

We were on the same cruise as Judy but stayed at the Holiday Inn Express BWI West in Hanover. The hotel was fine not 5 star but not a dump either, the rooms were clean (did have flat screen TV, microwave and fridge in room). For $99 we got the shuttle to and from the port (about a 20 min ride) and parking for the 10 days. Breakfast is also included. There is also a Denny's attached to the hotel. The hotel offered a shuttle to restaurants and places within 5 miles. The hotel is located very near the Arundel Mills Mall so there is lots of restaurants and shopping nearby.

Would definite stay there again. Total price with tax was about $111. Much cheaper than the $150 it would have cost us just to park :eek:.

You had to book through the hotel to get the cruise, park,stay package.

Thanks for the information. This will give me a couple places to check. We will be flying into Baltimore so don't need parking just someplace to get a nice room, have dinner and get a ride to the port.

Cyndi

Look at Country Inn & Suites airport. They will take you to the cruise port.

We just booked the Holiday Inn Express BWI West near Arundel Mills mall. Through the hotel direct we found they offered up to 21 days of parking, shuttle to and from the port, and breakfast. Our rate was only $99 per night.

It seems a little farther from the port but it got better ratings than the Sleep and Comfort Inn and the Holiday Inn Express that is near Camden Yards.

When will you be staying there? I'm curious to hear your review...

Hi. This will be for next June. We are flying in the day before departure from the West Coast with our 3 kids (age range 10 to 17). We won't have a car. I've read this thread and a lot of it concerns parking, which we don't need.

However, the idea of a shuttle from the hotel to port would be desirable and we'd like to located such that we can explore some things on foot (or trolley, bus, whatever) the afternoon that we arrive and the morning of sailing.

Budget isn't really an issue, but we'll probably need two rooms; so spending a lot (say $200 or more for each room) since it's just one night wouldn't be our first choice. Anyplace that could possibly accomodate 5 people in one room would be a plus.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Have a look at Springhill Suites on East Redwood. You can get a 2 bedroom suite (1 king bed per bedroom and a sofa bed in the living area) for about $250 (I used June 11 as a sample). Not sure about a shuttle, but you might be able to arrange something with the difference of paying for 2 hotel rooms.

We stayed at the Homewood Suites near the airport, and had a 2 bedroom suite there. We had 4 adults and 2 kids. Each bedroom had a bathroom, the one bedroom had a king and TV, the other 2 doubles and a TV, and the living room had a sofa bed and TV. Was surprisingly comfortable for the 6 of us and we spent 2 nights there. Breakfast was included as well as free dinner one night (only on weeknights I beleive). Unfortunately, the Homewood Inner Harbor doesn't have the 2 bedroom suites or we would have stayed down there. You'd have to pay to get to the pier (although a little palm greasing might get their airport shuttle to take you to the pier too, you never know), but I think you'd have to pay to get to an Inner Harbor hotel from the airport anyway, so this place might be an option to consider. This one is showing $259 for the same night as above.

We booked this hotel for the end of February. I will write a review when we return. (Holiday Inn express BWI airport west)

Edited by gwcruzer

We have booked our air to Baltimore for the day before our sailing in July. We are staying at the Country Inn and Suites BWI airport. They are picking us up at the airport and taking us to the hotel where we will spend the night. The room is reasonable and they will shuttle us to the port on sailing day and pick us up when we return. They will take us back to the hotel and we will take their shuttle to the airport. Talked to the manager on the phone to confirm and she was very nice. Looking forward to my first Baltimore cruise.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express BWI West the 19th of November. The hotel was clean, and was fine for the 1 night we stayed there. We had parking for the 10 days of our cruise. The breakfast in the morning was very nice with a lot of selection. The shuttle to and from the port worked out very well.

If you have any specific questions, just ask.

Definitely worth the $99 for the one night's stay to get the hotel, breakfast, parking, and shuttle for the 4 of us.

• 2 weeks later...

Pier 5? Admiral Fell? Or the Renaissance Harbor Place? Or someplace else?

I am trying to figure out this. My husband has had a stroke and won't do well on cobble-stones (Hence no Henderson's Wharf) and also is very sensitive to the cold (no long walks if the temperature is below about 45).

We want: a clean, bed-bug free place with a nice room and very convenient dining--a place where we can get excellent crab-cakes near the hotel. Cleanliess and proximity of good dining are more important than price. We are, I fear, too old for cobblestones.

We are flying in so won't have a car.