Celebrity vs. HAL -- Opinions Please

TV Dad

I am an avid Celebrity fan but I still say "money talks." I personally think X has better food and staff -- not to mention the overall younger crowd -- but I did enjoy the Neptune Lounge on HAL. For me, it is all about the itinerary, then I start pricing Celebrity first, then move on from there. If the prices are close then I'll always choose Celebrity.

I will say in 12 cruises, the only time I have encountered rude staff has been on the two HAL cruises I have taken. HAL's wait staff also seem pleasant enough but with little personality. I really enjoy having my waiter interact with the table -- just makes the experience so much more fun!

That's my two cents! :D

Hey TVDad,

We have cruised with our family of teens to young adult on HAL (Oosterdam-sister to Noordam) as well as Celebrity. We really love both cruise lines, but lean more toward Celebrity for the no smoking on balcony rules.

As a family, we always had fun though our oldest son is just not that in to cruising, period. The other two love cruising. I think our favorite part is dining together and trying new foods.

My young adult daughter loves the Piano Bar on the Oosterdam. Lots of fun in there with people of all ages, and everyone singing along. A lot of the junior officers used to come in there when they were off duty. It seemed like the place to hang out for young adults. The Oosterdam also used to do a thing like an American Idol show with three HAL staffers pretending to be Simon et al. The passengers were the contestants of course. The room was always packed, and the finale was really entertaining as everyone had their favorites.

Enjoy your cruise!

THANK YOU CRUISERS: I appreciate all your advice and your informed opinions. We have decided upon the HAL suite with a $5,000 savings for our summer 2011 cruise.

That'll cover air fare and some shore excursions!

Archived