Celebrity vs. HAL -- Opinions Please

TV Dad

My family of three (including a 17 year old daughter) is researching a Western Med cruise for next summer. We've got it narrowed down to two ships with similar itineraries. Celebrity Equinox and Holland America Noordam.

We are fortunate enough to be able to afford a suite on either ship. (Celebrity Sky Suite, HAL SA Suite) However, Celebrity prices are about 50% higher for a smaller size suite, same basic itinerary.

So, Celebrity cruisers, I would like your feedback and opinions. Is there something about Celebrity that makes it 50% better than Holland America? I've cruised Holland America several times, but never Celebrity.

Please let me know what you think!:)

We have booked our first Celebrity cruise aboard the Summit. From everything I have read though you can expect delicious food, top notch service and beautiful public spaces.

I would jump at the opportunity to cruise aboard the brand new Equinox. The Solstice Class ships look really spectacular, streamlined with a lot of very innovative touches.

If it's a question of the cabin you will have a lot more room aboard the Noordam. The SA suites measure around 510 to 700 square feet whereas the Equinox Sky Suite has only 300 square feet. We love the Noordam, she is an elegant liner with excellent service and elegant decor.

If you're only booking the one cabin it might be a bit tight on the Equinox but, otherwise you will have a spectacular ship to explore and enjoy throughout your Mediterranean cruise.

Jonathan

We've sailed both the Noordam and the Solstice and loved both ships. Food and service were terrific on both. We like the larger buffet area on the Solstice better than the Noordam, but that was all. We are Celebrity fans, but in this case I would say, go with the larger cabin and the bargain price!!!!

We had a SA suite on the Westerdamn last year. There really isn't any comparison between the SA on HAL and the Sky Suite on celebrity. A closer comparison would be the Royal Suite on Celebrity. With the SA you get all kinds of perks. Hard to believe you can get the SA cheaper than a Sky suite. We also had a SY suite on Hal the year before. That category does compare to the Sky on Celebrity. We are sailing on Celebrity in a few months in a Sky Suite. Much as we liked HAL we couldn't handle the smoking problem. Have to say though if we could get a SA I'd probably just get a gas mask and book it.

I would definitely pick the Equinox considering you will be traveling with your 17 yr old. Chances there will be more her age on the Solstice and she will really like the ship's style. No one else mentioned her. I personally like to keep the teens happy too. Happy kids = happy parents.:D

We sailed to Alaska with HAL and loved it so we went on a Carib cruise and discovered that because of their smoking policy which allows smoking in the cabins and on the verandas, we could not use the veranda. Neighbors on both sides smoked (I think one woman spent her entire vacation on the veranda smoking). I couldn't sit and watch the beautiful sunrises or sunsets nor have any meals on the veranda. I was crushed and we have not sailed with them since. X has a non smoking policy in the cabins and verandas as does Oceania and those two will get our money. Our daughter and her family have their 1st cruise with X next year because of X's child center, activities on board and, most importantly, because of the smoking policy. Perhaps HAL will change their policies one day.

I would definitely pick the Equinox considering you will be traveling with your 17 yr old. Chances there will be more her age on the Solstice and she will really like the ship's style. No one else mentioned her. I personally like to keep the teens happy too. Happy kids = happy parents.:D
But in a Celebrity Sky Suite she would have to share the one room and one bathroom with her parents. I don't know any 17 year old who would be happy about doing that.

For a happy kid plus happy parents, I would much rather book a regular balcony cabin for the parents plus an inside cabin for the teenager.

Not being familiar with the configuration of a HAL SA Suite, I cannot comment on it.

We have sailed in both a sky suite on Celebrity and a SA on Hal. There is no comparison. The HAL suite is far superior in size and the Neptune Lounge is wonderful, plus the free laundry etc, etc. The sky suite was fine for 2 people, but would be very crowded for three. The butler was useless to me and the other perks meaningless IMO. Enjoy which ever you choose:)

B.

both my early 20's at the time children really disliked HAL. They had both been on Celebrity in the past and loved it. Don't get me wrong we enjoyed our HAL cruise but both children bluntly said they would not sail on HAL again.when asked why their answer is short and sweet.....BORING.

HAL ships are very nice but they are BORING. I'm under 80 (45 actually) so I don't go to bed after dinner. On our HAL cruise there were a lot of men smoking cigars on deck so I had to keep moving because those things stink.

There is no doubt that an SA on HA is superior to a "suite" on Celebrity.

However, with a 17 year old, it is Celebrity all the way..

I like and sail both lines but you will be happier because your daughter will be happy. More for her to do.

So, Celebrity cruisers, I would like your feedback and opinions. Is there something about Celebrity that makes it 50% better than Holland America? I've cruised Holland America several times, but never Celebrity.

I forgot to mention in my reply that you DID mention you have done HAL cruises in the past and know what they are like and what your daughter would enjoy. Do you see your daughter on a HAL cruise?

i know the new ships on X are unlike others around and very "hip" looking and would think since these new ships are drawing younger new cruisers to Celebrity,would draw a younger clientele.

HAL is dull, has poor service, tasteless food, good entertainment, and lovely cabins. Took the entire family on HAL, and almost everyone hated it. My 8 month old granson had a good time. I wheeled him to the bars to listen to the bands. The 2 of us we usually the only ones there. Nice music...no other people. After that trip, nobody wants to sail on HAL. We are elite+ on Celebrity. My kids love Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. I like Celebrity and Azamara. For the family cruises we do Royal or Celebrity. For the 2 of us, we stick to Azamara or Celebrity. We usually pick depending on sailing dates and destination. We are not fussy about which ship we sail on...usually prefer the older ships. The service is usually better on the older ships. My favorite is the Century...not glitzy, but has a wonderful staff. Next is the Journey.

My family of three (including a 17 year old daughter) is researching a Western Med cruise for next summer. We've got it narrowed down to two ships with similar itineraries. Celebrity Equinox and Holland America Noordam.

We are fortunate enough to be able to afford a suite on either ship. (Celebrity Sky Suite, HAL SA Suite) However, Celebrity prices are about 50% higher for a smaller size suite, same basic itinerary.

Been sailing on both lines, but so far only on smaller ships. Last two cruises and upcoming one on Celebrity because of price. We basically consider the two lines equal. Some on this board are very concerned about the smoking and our smoke tolerance is low. We found more "Annoying" smoke on our Summit cruise than on our previous HAL cruises.

The Noordam has many great reviews, and on a summer cruise there will be other young people. If the itineraries are similar and you get more room for less $ on HAL, I'd go with HAL.

Thanks for the input cruisers.

The HAL cruise we're considering is $5,000 less than the Celebrity cruise and the suite is 50% larger. That's a HUGE difference on a 10 day cruise.

So tell me Celebrity cruisers . . . is the smoking ban worth the $5,000? Is the food & service $5,000 better on Celebrity? Your honesty and frankness has been msot helpful.

I'm not real worried about my daughter. She's an experienced kid cruiser and has never had trouble finding friends. She has enjoyed every HAL cruise we've been on.

The HAL cruise we're considering is $5,000 less than the Celebrity cruise and the suite is 50% larger. That's a HUGE difference on a 10 day cruise.

So tell me Celebrity cruisers . . . is the smoking ban worth the $5,000? Is the food & service $5,000 better on Celebrity? Your honesty and frankness has been msot helpful.

I'm not real worried about my daughter. She's an experienced kid cruiser and has never had trouble finding friends. She has enjoyed every HAL cruise we've been on.

Tough question, and very subjective. Only you can say how much smoking bothers or doesn't bother you. It may be an issue of not missing what you haven't had...we didn't know how fabulous it was to be on a clean air cruise until we did one. Not that we hadn't longed for that before, but I cannot tell you how fabulous it was. For us. Maybe not for you. I have had too many years of putting up with obnoxious, inconsiderate smokers...so for us, the smoking is an absolute deal breaker.

Worth $5000? Only you can say.

I can't rave enough about the Noordam itinerary. We did West one year (actually was on the Westerdam) and East the next year on Noordam. I love cruises departing from Civitavecchia so we can spend pre-cruise time in Rome. In total there were 15 differant ports.

Note that our recent cruise on Century exceeded our expectations, but would prefer the smaller ship for a longer voyage. Love the artwork and afternoon tea every day in the dining room on HAL.

On HAL you get full baths in all staterooms except HCA. Plus, all the Elemis Spa products.

Make sure if people are giving opinions on the passengers that they are not comparing the Carribean. The clientele is differant in the Med, many Europeans and over two years/two cruises did not see anyone in a wheelchair. Most peple were very active which is necesary for these ports.

Unless someone in your group is really against smokers, sounds like you are getting quite a deal on HAL. $5,000 difference would be a BIG deal. ANd if your daughter likes them, why change? Won't comment on food as it is too subjective.

I did a HAL 10-day carribbean cruise about 10 years ago with my, then, 10 year old son. It was even over a school vacation and on the entire cruise there were only 9 kids in total including upper teenagers. So making friends was very difficult. I personally found the food on HAL VERY bland. I think that is because the average age of the passengers is over 70! (probably a bit lower, but still quite an older crowd). The nighlife, is pretty non-existent.

I understand the cabin size and price are a big factor, but I would consider the age group on HAL and the overall experience, especially the food.

Personally, I would jump at the SA on HAL with that price difference. I don't think the food is very much better on Celebrity and certainly not worth that much extra. Both have good meals and bad. We're trying our first Suite on Celebrity on the Eclipse and I'm surprised at how few perks they offer compared to HAL. We have always loved the Neptune lounge and the free laundry on HAL. Obviously having a 17 year old with you is probably the biggest consideration and as we've never travelled with a youngster, I can't comment on which line would be better. For the $5,000 you would save to go with HAL, could you not take a friend for your daughter and put them in an inside cabin close to your SA suite? That way, you could have the best of both worlds.

It's been a while since we've sailed Celebrity (and never in a Suite before) and I get the feeling that every line has cut corners to save costs in the dining room over recent years. If you look at these Boards, there are a lot of complaints on how the food has deteriated and it seems to be pretty much every cruise line.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip whichever Suite you choose!

Susie

Archived