Cruising Mainstream Lines - Black Tie at Most?

d34567

I had a picture in my mind of what formal night on a cruise would be. I wasn't sure if a long dress I wore to a wedding at the Pierre hotel in NYC (very high end, for those far from NYC) would be formal enough. I guess in my mind I was envisioning dresses that went all the way to the level of white tie formality.

Looking at pictures throughout the site (dress thread, photo albums, etc.) it seems that I had the wrong idea for the mainstream lines. Perhaps Cunard & Company still(?) do the white tie thing, but it appears that the formal dresses I have seen on Princess & Company are black tie at most.

We will be on the Ruby Princess for the Nov. 7th Eastern Caribbean itinerary. We are in the late traditional seating.

Would dressing true black tie make my group stand out? We are a group of 8 30 & 40 somethings and don't mind if we stand out in a good way, but I want to know ahead of time so that we can determine our group style. It seems like one formal night and one semi-formal night would fit in well with the pictures I have seen.

More questions, if you will humor me:

Do people typically dress more formally for the first formal night than the second?

Are curling irons allowed on the ship?

Will people be running around in the day in t-shirts and gym shorts, or will there at least be some semblance of style in our shipmates?

Thank you!

By all means, dress as formal as you wish. I love seeing lovely gowns and gentlemen in great tuxes. DH wears black tie ..... often he'll wear white dinner jacket in the Caribbean.

Have a great time.

There is a problem with dressing white tie when no one else is: I might end up with an unhappy husband. :D It is much easier to get him to dress up when everyone else is dressed up as well.

You really can't get "too" formal, unless you're wearing your tiara, or something! I'm not sure a hoop skirted gown would be a good idea, either!

Any evening gown will do....doesn't have to be a "ballgown"....think slinky/sexy....easy to pack, too!

Black tie or white tie...either is fine.

You need to understand that there will be a right number of folks who will show up in anything BUT formalwear....and who cares?

There will be plenty who are dressed appropriately...but there will be some who aren't. If you're a large party, you'll "up" the numbers of those who do dress well!

I usually cruise with Princess. I think you are correct in assuming that it is mainly "black-tie". I think the first formal night may be just a little more formal - if at all. My DH doesn't do the tux anymore, but always looks dashing is his black suit. I do either long slinky, cocktail, or palazzo pants with fancy top.

You will find others that do not conform to the suggested attire. But usually it is not too bad. Around the ship it really depends on the age of the cruisers. I see lots of capris, sundresses, and shorts. More skirts or skorts lately I think.

Yes you can bring a curling iron or flat iron.

Gym shorts in the fitness center. Of course this does not mean you will not see some questionable things. (It's the robes out by the pool that always surprises me!!:rolleyes:)

People dress very casually in the daytime mostly, and anywhere from resort-casual at night to what one would wear to a nice restaurant. Some people dress up more for the first formal night, and some dress up more for the 2nd one. Most men will be in suits, some in tuxes, and most women will be in cocktail dresses and 2 piece cocktail outfits, though a lot will also wear evening gowns. Some people choose their formal attire based on what is easiest to travel with.

Black tie is just fine, and not over dressed at all... Not all men will go black tie, but still many do.

Now white tie, if spoken in the true sense of the description, does not happen at all.. White tie should only be worn with tails, and even on the Queen Mary I have yet to see white tie...

LOL, now we buck the system... I absolutely love white on white and my husband has been known to wear a white tie with white tux shirt and black tuxedo, jacket not tails... Like I said, if going by the book it should be black tie... LOL, on Cunard another gent will absolutely notice if he goes white on white without a tail, all other cruise lines no one notices!! Now my husband does own tails and he once when sailing on the QM he wanted to bring it but would not let him!! That I think is too much over the top for todays crusie lines.

There is a problem with dressing white tie when no one else is: I might end up with an unhappy husband. :D It is much easier to get him to dress up when everyone else is dressed up as well.

White tie is too formal on main stream lines.Black tie at most,is worn by approximately 50% of couples.

Enjoy

I've stayed at the Pierre and loved every moment. As for your cruise, do what you feel comfortable doing and enjoy yourself. I've seen many in formal, some in semi-formal and a few Sunday dress style during the formal night.

Enjoy your cruise.

On our Oasis cruise in April, I would say that maybe 10% of the men wore black tie, 40% wore a business suit and the other 50% were much more casual than that for formal nights.

During the day you will see everything but people will mostly be in swimsuits (with a cover-up inside) and shorts and t shirts.

Thank you for all of your replies. Sad to hear that white tie is not even on the QM2 - I dream of an elegant cruise of yesteryear.

I have seen a couple men in white tie on QM2, but it is very rare. The Maitre' d do dress in white tie on formal nights (at least on Crossings). In general cruises are more casual than Crossings, with more dark suits and cocktail dresses for formal nights rather that tuxedos and long gowns. On Crossings, probably 90% of the passengers do follow the formal dress code (or they do not appear in the public areas (other than Lido) on these evenings). I have been very disappointed at how casual other lines I've sailed on have become.

There were more men dressed in white tie and tails on QE2, especially on Transatlantic Crossings, but I'm afraid that style has sailed into the past.

J

Really J

Men were in tails on the crossing? That is wonderful! Our Cunard cruises have been Caribbean so I have not seen tails thus far. I will say though that on our cruises most ladies were in full evening gowns on formal nights and cocktail the rest. Most gents went black tie on formal.... If the original poster is looking for and likes a more formal line, this would be the next one to try.

Archived