Retreat cabanas

Is it possible to use the cabanas in the evening for stargazing or relaxing? I know the attendants aren't there at that time>

Marcia

I asked this question at Ship Services, and was told NO..it is roped off after 5ish..you could ask them and see what answer you receive:)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm the person who booked the Lido cabana that Boingy300 refers to in her post. I am on the 14-day cruise and booked that cabana for the entire cruise. I've read mostly bad things on these boards about the Lido cabanas, mostly from passengers who have never booked them, however, I've decided to see if I will like it.

I travel solo and love the idea of having my own spot by the pool, near the Lido, etc. I can come and go and never lose my spot. I can park my reading materials, my cross stitch, etc. in the morning and never be accused of being a chair hog when I leave to go for lunch, seminar, etc. I think the Nieuw Amsterdam only has five Lido cabanas so hopefully it won't be too crowded. Because of the huge single supplement for a balcony cabin, I save $$ by booking an outside guarantee. I also don't gamble (except a one time $20 for the slots) and don't use the spa, so the cabana will be my extravagance for the the cruise. If I don't like it, I won't book it again, but might as well give it a try. My new roll call friend and I will have the best of two worlds: when she comes down to swim or eat at the Lido, she can visit my cabana; and when I need some peace and quiet, I will join her at her retreat cabana. :D

I also would like to know whether the cabana attendant is part of the automatic tipping or whether he gets tipped separately. Thank you.

I think we will have a blast. It will be fun to check out both types of cabanas. (I will bring my cross-stitch as well then. It's so rare that I sit still) I am also curious about the tipping. I will con't to search.

Karen

We had a family cabana on the Eurodam B2B Canada/NE for 20 days and yes, it would be a deal breaker for us if you couldn't get one on future cruises. I just can't tell you how relaxing and quiet they are. When we sailed past Lady Liberty I think quite possibly we had the best view on the ship. Being on the corner produced wonderful sea breezes and was wonderful for late afternoon naps. We were in a full suite and while the veranda is always nice there is something very special about these retreat cabanas. It was without a doubt the best money we spent over the course of those 20 days. Highly recommended.

We booked the Santuary aboard our Princess cruise last year and it was fantastic. We have already booked a Retreat cabana for our entire cruise aboard the Eurodam this Nov 6th. There is no better feeling than to know that no-will move your books or complain that this chaise or that is not occupied when you are not there. It is yours and only yours.

In fact one of lifes little pleasures in the Sanctuary aboard the Caribbean Princess was when people would walk in the Sanctuary and sit on a super soft chaise only to be informed that this was a fee only area and they would have to put up or move on. :-)

Joe

I'm the person who booked the Lido cabana that Boingy300 refers to in her post. I am on the 14-day cruise and booked that cabana for the entire cruise. I've read mostly bad things on these boards about the Lido cabanas, mostly from passengers who have never booked them, however, I've decided to see if I will like it.

I travel solo and love the idea of having my own spot by the pool, near the Lido, etc. I can come and go and never lose my spot. I can park my reading materials, my cross stitch, etc. in the morning and never be accused of being a chair hog when I leave to go for lunch, seminar, etc. I think the Nieuw Amsterdam only has five Lido cabanas so hopefully it won't be too crowded. Because of the huge single supplement for a balcony cabin, I save $$ by booking an outside guarantee. I also don't gamble (except a one time $20 for the slots) and don't use the spa, so the cabana will be my extravagance for the the cruise. If I don't like it, I won't book it again, but might as well give it a try. My new roll call friend and I will have the best of two worlds: when she comes down to swim or eat at the Lido, she can visit my cabana; and when I need some peace and quiet, I will join her at her retreat cabana. :D

I also would like to know whether the cabana attendant is part of the automatic tipping or whether he gets tipped separately. Thank you.

From everything I have read they are being tipped seperately, (not by everyone ) but by quite a few... but I don't know if they are also part of the automatic tipp pool as well...so I don't know what I am going to do either...still a bit confused about that part.:confused:

I'm obviously in the minority here but I think it's definitely a "duplication" of the perks of a verandah.

Then again I'm not one to sit in the same place all day - I'm going to trivia and to bingo and a cooking class and a lecture, etc.

I also don't use the spa so the discount on spa services would be wasted on me.

I'm with you, so we can be in the minority together.

The retreat menu doesn't thrill me, since I don't diet at ALL on cruises. Cruising is when I can splurge and get my rich cream sauces and buttered bread. :D

We enjoy socializing with other passengers in the MDR at lunch.

The spa services are not used by me or hubby, so that is of no benefit.

As long as we can have breakfast delivered, and enjoy it on our verandah, the rest of the day is spent doing whatever is available to do.

We live in Florida, and have a pool, so we won't be crowded at the Lido pool, because we won't be there.

Everyone has different priorities. I confess, lounging in a cabana is not my fave way to spend a cruise.

I can understand that for others it would be well worthwhile, based on their own needs and desires.

I travel solo and love the idea of having my own spot by the pool, near the Lido, etc. I can come and go and never lose my spot. I can park my reading materials, my cross stitch, etc. in the morning and never be accused of being a chair hog when I leave to go for lunch, seminar, etc. I think the Nieuw Amsterdam only has five Lido cabanas so hopefully it won't be too crowded. Because of the huge single supplement for a balcony cabin, I save $$ by booking an outside guarantee. I also don't gamble (except a one time $20 for the slots) and don't use the spa, so the cabana will be my extravagance for the the cruise.

I will be on the Eurodam for the first time in October and never even thought about this until I read your post. I will also be solo so I won't have anyone to save my deck chair for me when I have to leave for a while. It will be great to have my own little space near the pool for the whole trip! :D

• 3 weeks later...

We are debating between the Lido and the Retreat Cabana. Had decided on a Lido and booked it for our February cruise on the Eurodam ... my prime concern with the Retreat is motion sickness, as it's so high up on the ship?

Anyone have any advice on this or notice a difference between the motion in the Lidos vs Retreats?

Thanks

We are debating between the Lido and the Retreat Cabana. Had decided on a Lido and booked it for our February cruise on the Eurodam ... my prime concern with the Retreat is motion sickness, as it's so high up on the ship?

Anyone have any advice on this or notice a difference between the motion in the Lidos vs Retreats?

Thanks

We didn't have any motion issues, from the retreat cabanas you can see the pool when the roof is open. I think if I remember correctly that it's 2 floors down.

It looks like there is a tall glass rail/window on the side facing retreat cabanas (observarion deck) on the Eurodam. Does it get hot, or is there still a nice breeze. Any opinions on which is better, a side facing or pool facing cabana? I know they are assigned, just wondering what to expect.

All:

I have been trying to locate good pictures of the cabanas and their proximity to the pools but have been coming up empty.

We just took a cruise this past summer on the Celebrity Equinox in the med and I absolutely LOVED IT! We were next to the Nieuw Amsterdam in Santorini and it looked really nice. Seeing this cabana option would be key for me as the only complaint I had about the Equinox was the pool/chair situation. So here go a few questions:

1) Are they shaded all the time or can you always configure so that if you want sun, you can have it open?

2) How close and crowded are the ones on the Lido deck which appear to be near the pool?

3) If the retreat cabins are a deck above, is there any form of water nearby (on the deck) for a quick rinse off/cool down?

4) Does anyone know if HAL's pools are fresh or salt water?

Thanks in advance for any help here!

1) Are they shaded all the time or can you always configure so that if you want sun, you can have it open?

2) How close and crowded are the ones on the Lido deck which appear to be near the pool?

3) If the retreat cabins are a deck above, is there any form of water nearby (on the deck) for a quick rinse off/cool down?

4) Does anyone know if HAL's pools are fresh or salt water?

Thanks in advance for any help here!

1) It depends on which way the ship is facing. If you want sun in the Cabana Club you can go to the center area.

See image 23 here http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/ed/ed_ob.htm

2) IIRC there's two rows of loungers between the cabanas by the window and the water on the Eurodam. I presume the Nieuw A will be the same. In this pic the Cabana Club is up above, and the Lido cabanas are over by the starboard (right) windows: http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/ed/ed_lido.htm

3) They're two decks above the pool. I saw a post that implied there's a shower there, but I can't confirm that.

4) Fresh. It may be desalinated sea water or it may be water purchased in port.

I am a bit confused.:confused:

Jdell - Are you talking about the Retreat Cabanas that are two decks above the Lido deck or are you talking about the Lido Cabanas that are on the Lido deck near the pool with the retractable roof?

From what I can understand, there are 8 Lido Cabanas on the Eurodam and 5 Lido Cabanas on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

catl331- Helpful info--thanks so much!!

dot73 - Not sure what they are called on the Nieuw Amsterdam as I've seen Lido Cabanas, Cabana Club and Retreat Cabanas, but I guess I'm interested in any/all of the available private cabana options on the ship.

Thanks again!

I am a bit confused.:confused:

Jdell - Are you talking about the Retreat Cabanas that are two decks above the Lido deck or are you talking about the Lido Cabanas that are on the Lido deck near the pool with the retractable roof?

From what I can understand, there are 8 Lido Cabanas on the Eurodam and 5 Lido Cabanas on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I had a Cabana on the Eurodam last November and have booked a Cabana on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Though they have different names, Retreat for Eurodam and Cabana Club on the Nieuw Amsterdam, they are both located two decks above the pool (lido deck) and are reached by the forward elevators taken to the Observation Deck. The Cabana's on this deck provide seating that is almost completely shaded, except early mornings and late afternoon's when the sun is low enough in the sky but of course depending on which way the ship is facing. On the Eurodam, the seating you see on the deck plan outside of the cabana's is for the exclusive use of Cabana members--who may either have a "run of the cruise" membership or should there be space remaining, buy a day's membership. While there were of course friend and family who dropped by to socialize, your guests cannot order drinks independently, they must be ordered through the Cabana holder and put on the Cabana holder's tab the very same way it works when you are a member of a country club and invite a guest. The guest can only be there at your invitation, does not have run of the facilities and cannot be there or remain if you leave. The cabana club deck area next to the cabins is roped off from the rest of the ship and marked with "member's only signs'. And even though there is a staircase that begins where you see the break in the aft facing cabanas, a non-member cannot cut through the Cabana Club from say the Exploration Cafe to go down those stairs to the running track on the Navigation Deck. Those stairs are for Cabana members only so you can go down to the pool without having to go into chilled air conditioning (another set of stairs takes you to Lido). At the risk of dating myself, the Retreat was very much like being on a two or three class passenger ship in the 1950's. Now-a-days every passenger has access to all the public areas; you spend more money to get a bigger cabin and/or a better location on the ship. On these two ships you can actually buy yourself a higher level of service and public space that has been reserved for use by a certain number of passengers. It is no different when you take a suite on HAL--you have the exclusive use with others buying the same class of cabin to use the services of a concierge and to use the Neptune Lounge and the goodies it provides. People don't bring non-suite guests to the Neptune Lounge on a regular basis although I am sure someone could meet you there for a drink if you wanted a secluded place to have a private conversation and did not want to do it in your stateroom. But guests can't just drop by, and they certainly cannot stay if you leave. I was further told by someone at HAL that the reason they changed the name from "The Retreat" to "The Cabana Club" was to better tie in with their policy that this was a members only venue not a retreat for anyone looking for a less crowded area.

While on my last Eurodam cruise, I met this very nice Canadian couple who were traveling with their 2 teenage daughters and both sets of their parents. They were having a great time because their Cabana was the family and friends meet point so it was easy to find one another and hang out. I told them I had a cabana as well but had not seen there up there. The wife said "up where" and then the husband laughed and explained that each of us only knew half the story. He then explained he had a poolside cabana but said he almost ended up where I was then learned about the Lido cabana's were much more his style--he had lots a friends on the ship and he liked that they could find him easily and drop by to socialize and jhave a drink or eat lunch together by the pool as they were not all dining together. He said it was like having a day cabin and a stateroom and he liked being near the pool. He also told me they had an assigned pool steward. So you see it depends what you are looking for. I know I would not like a Lido cabana and the Canadian chap knew the Retreat wasn't going to work for him.

And someone asked if there is an outdoor shower--the answer is yes. Also not shown on the deck plans, but the unmarked spaces behind the elevators, on each hallway, are private bathrooms for the use of Club members. Also I see they have moved the poolside Cabana's from one side of the ship to the other. Very smart! On the Eurodam, all the traffic going from front to aft had to walk by those cabanas. Now they put them on the other side which has far less traffic as there is no entry to the forward elevators and stairs on the starboard side. This will make those Lido Cabana's far more desirable then on the Eurodam. They are, in all cases, much larger than the Cabana's on the upper deck. They were already far more stable then the ones on the upper deck and made out easily inoto great private space to dine al freso .

Finally, regarding Aft vs. Side facing Cabana's--if you want it breezier, face aft., if you chill easily ask for side facing. If you really want privacy, take a side facing cabana because you never have to close the curtains on the sea facing side. Aft facing cabins wanting complete privacy must close curtains facing in both directions, especially if you are aft facing, port side because those private stairs I mention earlier come right up in front of your cabana.

As for purchase . . .

The "run of the cruise" membership can be reserved in advance of your trip BUT MUST be paid for in full in advance. Space is on a first come, first serve basis. HAL will not sell all the Club Cabanas you see pictured for "run of the cruise". The last piece of information I know second-hand. I am not sure how many they hold back but I know at least one because I met someone up there who told me they gave him a free day's membership because there had been problems with their cabin that took a day to fix. So obviously they hold some for marketing and customer satisfaction issues. The spa also uses a cabana to give outdoor massages. No, massages are not included in the price of a Cabana. The issue never came up for me--everyday was cloudless and calm seas. Any space remaining can be reserved and paid for on board; when booked on board, if the weather turns inclement, HAL will allow you to cancel and give you s full refund.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I have booked a Lido cabana on the Nieuw Amsterdam and it sounds like they have been improved over the ones on the Eurodam. Do you know who decides what cabana you get? Is it assigned when you check in or do you have to go somewhere and pick an available one? Thank you.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I have booked a Lido cabana on the Nieuw Amsterdam and it sounds like they have been improved over the ones on the Eurodam. Do you know who decides what cabana you get? Is it assigned when you check in or do you have to go somewhere and pick an available one? Thank you.

Your Cabana is assigned when you come on board. The information was waiting in my cabin along with any pre-booked excursions and dining reservations. The ship's beverage manager has "jurisdiction" over this portion of the ship's real estate and service, so see him or her if you have a question or problem.

Question for "slp123" - and I hope I phrased this correctly: Do you feel the Lido Pool Cabana area makes the passengers sitting on the side of the ship opposite of the Cabanas feel like their "ocean view" is being blocked by the Cabanas? I have no objection to the "upper level" Cabanas (a private club is a private club) ... but I just can't picture how I would feel sitting in the Lido Pool area and not being able to see out of the windows on one side of the ship ... I feel that area is a "public area." Am I wrong?

Question for "slp123" - and I hope I phrased this correctly: Do you feel the Lido Pool Cabana area makes the passengers sitting on the side of the ship opposite of the Cabanas feel like their "ocean view" is being blocked by the Cabanas? I have no objection to the "upper level" Cabanas (a private club is a private club) ... but I just can't picture how I would feel sitting in the Lido Pool area and not being able to see out of the windows on one side of the ship ... I feel that area is a "public area." Am I wrong?

I have a confession--I am unable to answer your question. I have been on ships where the pool was surrounded by lounge chairs and those were ringed by tables that sat under the running track of the deck above--this is a very common configuration--almost always you don't have a railing but plexi-glass on newer ships and more substantial enclosures on older ships to cut wind for the dining areas. On those ships that put tables all the way around in great number I feel hemmed in. Where one side under the overhang is reserved for lounge chairs, I like it better, but in general I do not like ever sitting by the pool since I never swim in it and I do not travel with children. When I am having a sea day I want to hear the sea and maybe a few birds and that is about it--I live in the New York City--so I don't lack for stimulus.

Now in my opinion I believe the Lido Pool on the Eurodam resembles what the density must be like on a Coney Island Beach on a 90F Sunday in July (but I have never been there either)--only there's no sand and there is no breeze. I was on the ship in November 2009 and every day was at least 85F. And while we chose to be in the Retreat, I did not know about those Cabana's until after we were on board. There was no availability until either the 3rd or 4th day of our cruise. By that point we had found ourselves really liking the Sea View Pool. It is open and airy and at least on our cruise less crowded. We almost told them to forget about the Cabana by the time they told us they had one available. We just loved it but I must confess we would have been happy at the sea view pool.

Now the Lido pool is not awful, it is wonderful if you have kids. It is wonderful if you want to be outside and do not like it too windy (the seaview pool can be windy). The Lido is of course THE choice if the weather is inclement because they close the retractable roof. It is wonderful if you are traveling in a group of more than 4 because those cabanas on the Lido are much bigger. And if you like to be entertained by fellow passengers and their antics, then by all means go for the entertainment value.

But if you are not going to take a Cabana and you want to sit by a pool and also look out to the sea, and not hemmed in then choose the aft (Seaview) Pool on the Lido deck. OR if you really want privacy without paying extra, then have the pool staff set you up with deck chairs on the Panorama Deck overlooking the Seaview pool. That is exactly where I sat when we did not have a Cabana or when we wanted to be with some of our friends for a while. And I found the Seaview pool to be one of the most attractive pool areas on newer ships because it reminds me of pools and ships from a simpler era--when ships didn't feel the need to be amusement parks. Thankfully HAL rarely feels that way.

And if we should be cruising together one say, please call me Steven.

Archived