3 people in a room, OV GUAR--but they assign to a room with only 2 beds...

stevexy

Here's the point--Carnival Corp could have put me in a 3 person room with 3 beds--was available--they deliberately put me in a 2 person room figuring I assume they could possible sell the 3 person room to someone for a higher amount. Perfectly within Carnival's rights to do that. However, since Carnival made the decision to do that, then I am going to ask the bed be removed every day. Now, if the only rooms available were 2 person rooms with a rollaway, then what choice would Carnival have, but here they made the choice to put me in a room with only 2 beds when they knew they didnt have to do that. Kind of poor customer service. It would be kind of like dropping off the car at the dealer and they give you a loaner. Now, say the only loaner available was an older car--fine you take it--its the best they can do and you appreciate that at least they had something available. But now think about the alternative--they have a perfectly fine loaner available, but they give you the older car anyway. If Carnival is going to make the decision to assign 2 bed rooms deliberately to 3 people, then for good customer service they need to have the ability to remove the bed everyday if the customer wants that.

1. Of course they are going to save the better room for the person willing to spend more. What's complicated about this?

This is the point of the guarantee....you are willing to accept "the worst accommodations" for the cheapest price.

The room has the capacity for 3...capacity is not based on size and beds, but on life boat capacity.

2. What is a 2 person room with a rollaway?

You're already setting yourself up for a miserable cruise.

Here's the point--Carnival Corp could have put me in a 3 person room with 3 beds--was available--they deliberately put me in a 2 person room figuring I assume they could possible sell the 3 person room to someone for a higher amount. Perfectly within Carnival's rights to do that.

There's your sign... :D

I don't want to add to the Drama here but If I were booking a triple gty I would expect it to have 3 beds, not 2 beds with a roll away, especially if I were not a member of Cruise Critic where I have the opportunity to educate myself. I have read many negatives about the roll away and wouldnt be happy with that either.

I am sure most people think that when you book a GTY the only thing you are risking is the location of the cabin and not the # of beds... to me a roll away is more like camping and not a real bed...

That being said, its not the cabin stewards fault and I would'nt expect him/her to do something that is not part of their job without compensation.

Of course you dont take it out on the cabin steward--but Carnival should expect and provide the ability to remove the bed. One concern--it may not just be about money--I wonder if Carnival has a policy that "punishes" any steward where there is an reduction in tips i.e Carnival assumes the customer was unhappy and assumes the steward did something wrong.

You get what you pay for, in this case one of the cheapest rooms. You have the option to pay a little more to make the three of you more comfortable. Your choice not to. But why take out your being cheap on the cabin steward? He has rules he has to follow & what you are saying is because you don't like the rules, you'll take it out on the lowest person on the totem pole - probably the one who needs the money more than anyone else and will never be able to afford a vacation cruise - even in a crowded guarantee.

we just sailed on ecstacy July 10 -15....there were 3 of us, two twin beds, and a roll-a-way low to the ground that stayed in the room all day, and was not in the way...never folded it up.

Stevexy---I bet you're a fun kind of guy (not). Feel sorry for whoever has to share the cabin with you. Believe me, Carnival does not sail to meet your high demands on a cheap cabin! Where do you think the steward is going to put this rollaway every day? Oh yeah, maybe he's a magician can just make it disappear... The cruise is more than a rollaway bed it's the whole experience - eating, playing, travelling, making friends (hmmmm),beig entertained.

I'd try and get the room with three actual beds. It may turn out that they can't sell the room with three beds and give it to you or even charge a nominal fee. If you feel the price is prohibitive, once on-board go ahead and ask that the roll-away be removed and brought back each day if you think it's too much in the way. I doubt it will be however.

But don't take it out on the steward if he can't. In fact, if he/she does, you may consider tipping extra since they'd be going above and beyond.

I doubt you want to hear this, but you did get what you paid for. We've done the same thing before and had a rollaway and were fine with it.

Whatever happens, enjoy the heck out of your cruise.

Of course you dont take it out on the cabin steward--but Carnival should expect and provide the ability to remove the bed. One concern--it may not just be about money--I wonder if Carnival has a policy that "punishes" any steward where there is an reduction in tips i.e Carnival assumes the customer was unhappy and assumes the steward did something wrong.

You just said if he/she didnt remove the bed daily, you'd reduce their tip. So, yes, the cabin steward gets the shaft because you got stuck with a rollaway.

I bet asking nicely to the cabin steward might get the rollaway removed, but if they cant do it, reducing their tip is not warranted. JMO.

A couple of basic issues

1) what is the expectation of a GUAR room--is it reasonable to expect a certain number of beds? We all know the location issue--you could end up in the back of the boat bottom corner or next to the nightclub--that's the risk. You are saving money--there is "no free lunch". How may posts have we seen from people doing inside GUAR and getting unhappy when they end up in a tiny inside. But I think there should be a reasonable expectation that the proper number of beds is provided, especially as applicable in this case there was an open unassigned cabin with enough beds. Now that is an interesting point--and I think anyone who hasnt looked over cruise critic would assume, that an expectation of enough beds is reasonable. Kind of like reserving a hotel room for 2 people and showing up and being told that even though they had rooms available, instead you are getting a room with a single bed and a rollaway

2) "Punishing the Steward" I have always tipped 100% on multiple non-carnival cruises. On other tours I always tip the proper amount--people rely on this money and we are not talking an easy job. If the extra bed can be removed but the steward doesnt want to--then a tip reduction is warranted. If you are gone all day and multiple days on the cruise the room isnt cleaned, then a tip reduction is warranted. If the steward goes above and beyond, then an extra tip is what should happen. If the rollaway cant be removed, then it isnt fair to punish the steward. Now, should the steward get an extra tip?--I think not, as Carnival has, by sending people to rooms without enough beds, set up a reasonable expectation that people are going to get rollaways they dont want.

Overall, the basic issue is should a GUAR provide enough beds, especially if the rooms are available? I see different answers in the post.

A couple of basic issues

1) what is the expectation of a GUAR room--is it reasonable to expect a certain number of beds? We all know the location issue--you could end up in the back of the boat bottom corner or next to the nightclub--that's the risk. You are saving money--there is "no free lunch". How may posts have we seen from people doing inside GUAR and getting unhappy when they end up in a tiny inside. But I think there should be a reasonable expectation that the proper number of beds is provided, especially as applicable in this case there was an open unassigned cabin with enough beds. Now that is an interesting point--and I think anyone who hasnt looked over cruise critic would assume, that an expectation of enough beds is reasonable. Kind of like reserving a hotel room for 2 people and showing up and being told that even though they had rooms available, instead you are getting a room with a single bed and a rollaway

2) "Punishing the Steward" I have always tipped 100% on multiple non-carnival cruises. On other tours I always tip the proper amount--people rely on this money and we are not talking an easy job. If the extra bed can be removed but the steward doesnt want to--then a tip reduction is warranted. If you are gone all day and multiple days on the cruise the room isnt cleaned, then a tip reduction is warranted. If the steward goes above and beyond, then an extra tip is what should happen. If the rollaway cant be removed, then it isnt fair to punish the steward. Now, should the steward get an extra tip?--I think not, as Carnival has, by sending people to rooms without enough beds, set up a reasonable expectation that people are going to get rollaways they dont want.

Overall, the basic issue is should a GUAR provide enough beds, especially if the rooms are available? I see different answers in the post.

How to you qualify "If they dont want to"?

You are getting three beds, so it meet your expectations. Just not the three beds you want and demand or you will get even. ... still making unreasonable expectations I see ... so the cabin steward is supposed to move it down the hallway to wherever he works out of and be in his way all day because you are pouting? Seriously??

I agree with the poster above who said you are setting yourself up to be miserable.

I'll be honest and say that if I booked a room for three, I would think it would be a room with two twins and either a sofa or upper, but now I know that might not be the case!

We've had two guarantees and been happy with both...great locations and one was an upgrade, but I do agree it's a risk...and now I know not to book one if I have more than two people...

To the OP...hope you can call Carnival and see if they will switch you...if not, hopefully you can make the best of it. For our upcoming cruise we are taking the kids, so I did have to pay more to make sure I got a room for four (and I wanted the sofa and an upper, so that added even a little bit more cost.)

Maybe it won't be so bad...:)

Just as a FYI, my friend books in the summer because she has school age kids and they would only allow her to book a inside with a rollaway, not a quad with two bunks which was open. They wouldnt allow her with 3 to book a 4 man room to get away from the rollaway and she paid to pick her cabin.

Older ships built year 2000 and before have rollaways, so quads can be turned into cabins for 5. These ships were grandfathered in.

Newer ships do not have rollaways. If you dislike rollaways, book guarantees only on newer ships.

we had 5 in a room on the fantasy class ships last sept and are doing it again this oct. you get one king queen pushed to gether two pull downs one trundle bed that goes under the one pulldown the other pull down comes out on top of the head of the large bed works out fine the pull downs are folded to the wall during the day the trundle stays in the corner it is not in the way. we did book a room not a garantee. you sound like you are making a mountian out of a mole hill. the bed left in the room is no big deal. im shure glad i am not traveling with you. you sound like no fun to be with. need to go to super 8 you can get two king or gueen or full beds if you want to pay for them but again you not get them if you want the chevy price and expect to get a bmw. hope you have a nice cruise but your attidude is setting you up to lose

Yes--I assumed that OV GUAR would include enough beds/convert sofa etc. But I guess that isnt true...But, I am going to expect the rollaway to be removed everyday.

I think your assumption was a valid one. I would expect upper berths or sofas or something other than a rollaway. I've been on many lines and have never seen rollaways used. Shows you what I know!

This post was certainly educational for when I book next years family cruise with kids/g-kids.

Dealing with a rollaway would suck regardless.

PS: I just read your reduction in tips post. I'm guessing you are thinking reducing tips since the rollaway? You wouldn't be punishing Carnival but the room steward who actually has to do more work to make it work for you. I'm missing something?

What happens if your room steward does remove the roll-away daily and someone else snatches it when it is stored somewhere else and then you don't have a bed? I would keep it in the cabin.

If you talk nicely, you might get the other room. I did once. I booked a guarantee balcony once and my TA got us all moved into extended balcony cabins which was a great upgrade considering I booked balcony guarantee (at the time the 7A's were not part of the balcony guarantee). I talked to my TA when I discovered an aft extended balcony available that was listed as the same category as I was assigned. I got it. I was thrilled. Carnival nor my TA had to do this cuz I booked guarantee which means I'm stuck with whatever they give me. They both exceeded my expectations. If you make a call & nicely say that you would prefer to have the other cabin that has the sofabed rather than a rollaway and if they would switch you, you just might get lucky.

If they do, then the poor room steward won't get the shaft. Trust me, the steward sounds like he's going to get the raw end of the deal considering he had nothing to do with your dilemma.

I just read your reduction in tips post. I'm guessing you are thinking reducing tips since the rollaway? You wouldn't be punishing Carnival but the room steward who actually has to do more work to make it work for you. I'm missing something?

Nope. You summed it up nicely. :rolleyes:

Guess what??? Carnival is in business to make money..so if you want to be cheap and book a guarantee then you have to deal with the outcome…not sure what cruise or port you are sailing, but people do book at the last minute, so if they have only a few options for triples left they will hold them to see if they can catch the last minute triple room and sell it full more money…don’t take the tip or reduce the tip from the cabin steward that is just wrong it is not his fault you got that room so why take it out on him?

Based upon Carnival's policy of taking people in GUAR reservations and placing them in rooms without enough beds--you have got to assume that the issue of people not wanting rollaways is a common one (although not really talked about at this website). If it is easy to move the rollaway out of the room everyday (i.e if there is a closet right nearby and space for it--maybe they come from that closet--which there is according to deck map) then the steward can move it. If he cant -- it would be unreasonable to ask him to move the bed down the elevator everyday for example--or move it way down the hall, then he cant. And if he reasonably cant then a reasonable person would not reduce tips.

But, if he can and simply doesnt want to--then I reduce the tip. . I am not a high demand kind of guy and have never reduced tips--you just cant expect everything to be perfect--you have got to let little things slide--but in my opinion Carnival should have beds for people otherwise stop taking more GUAR reservations for a cruise. Seriously, if you take a reservation for 3 people then you should hold a 3 bed room--sleeping in a short trundle aint doing it, and a rollaway gets in the way. PS apparently, Carnival doesnt neccessarily have enough rollaways and they dont even promise that they will have that.

The take home lesson is for Carnival, on the older boats, if you have 3 people, dont do a GUAR....(it aint about ending up in the back of the boat in the worst room--its about not getting a bed)

Based upon Carnival's policy of taking people in GUAR reservations and placing them in rooms without enough beds--

PS apparently, Carnival doesnt neccessarily have enough rollaways and they dont even promise that they will have that.

You will ALWAYS be placed in a room with enough beds. You will have 3 beds. As far as your assumptions ... I had picked a cabin on purpose with a rollaway. I am not keen on climbing the ladder into a upper bunk. There are going to be others like me who are seniors and who would prefer a rollaway to a upper bunk... I know a teen who requested one rather than climb into a upper and her cabin steward found a rollaway.

Its coast guard rules, you cant put more people in a cabin than the # of beds and how many people the cabin is rated. You will for sure have enough beds. Im 100% positive. Quit being so negative.

You just have it in your head they arent a good bed. Lets hope you are pleasantly surprised.

Just out of curiosity ... you are sure you are supposed to get a rollaway and not the low trundle bed that is under the regular twins and rolls out to be used?

Based upon Carnival's policy of taking people in GUAR reservations and placing them in rooms without enough beds--you have got to assume that the issue of people not wanting rollaways is a common one (although not really talked about at this website). If it is easy to move the rollaway out of the room everyday (i.e if there is a closet right nearby and space for it--maybe they come from that closet--which there is according to deck map) then the steward can move it. If he cant -- it would be unreasonable to ask him to move the bed down the elevator everyday for example--or move it way down the hall, then he cant. And if he reasonably cant then a reasonable person would not reduce tips.

But, if he can and simply doesnt want to--then I reduce the tip. . I am not a high demand kind of guy and have never reduced tips--you just cant expect everything to be perfect--you have got to let little things slide--but in my opinion Carnival should have beds for people otherwise stop taking more GUAR reservations for a cruise. Seriously, if you take a reservation for 3 people then you should hold a 3 bed room--sleeping in a short trundle aint doing it, and a rollaway gets in the way. PS apparently, Carnival doesnt neccessarily have enough rollaways and they dont even promise that they will have that.

The take home lesson is for Carnival, on the older boats, if you have 3 people, dont do a GUAR....(it aint about ending up in the back of the boat in the worst room--its about not getting a bed)

You got a bed.... it's just not the type of bed you had HOPED it would be. Get over it. Take it as a lesson learned and express your dissatisfaction with whoever you booked with or write the cruiseline about your feelings. But for certain, don't take it out on the staff who had nothing to do with the outcome of your stateroom location !

you can get a surprising amount of info from this website--its designed for agents but you can easily access it for any ship

https://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/the_fleet/triumph/triumph.htm

Perhaps to have done your research from that website, CC or other info sources BEFORE booking a "GTY" category on a CCL older vessel would have been a good idea ??? :rolleyes:

Archived