Miracle 12/26/10 or 01/14/11?

ready123go

O.K.

I want to ask all you experienced cruisers out there - if you were to choose between Miracle departing on 12/29 or 01/14 which would you prefer and why? In addition, how much sun would an aft balcony get as opposed to port and starboard?

I would go with 12/26 or 12/29(you have 2 different dates listed) just because I think it would be a cool way to ring in the new year.

I've thought about doing a new year's cruise, but I just can't afford the cost right now in life.

The only reason I sail during the holiday week is because that is when my school is off. I personally would take the January sailing - I bet the price goes down to 1/2 of what the 12/26 sailing is! A lot of people swear by the aft balconies. The afts supposedly have no breeze, and can get quite hot. I always take a side balcony. We get sun traveling in one direction, and no sun when we go back the other way! I would think the same thing is true about the afts!:D

I would choose the one in January its cheaper!!! And since its the same itineray We usually pick late January to cruise but our cruise has went up over $400 pp:eek: Good luck on your choice.

What is the price difference? Is cost even a deciding factor in your decision (of course a crazy difference would be - but how much of a factor)? Are you someone who generally enjoys celebrating New Year's Eve or a person who considers it just another night & goes to bed before the ball falls? Are you traveling with just a spouse or friend or with others?

December 27, 2008 I went with family & friends (12 of us) on the Carnival Freedom for a New Year's cruise. It was more expensive than other cruises I have taken. I will also add that I'm one of those people who enjoys New Year's Eve & can't understand why some friends tell me it is just another night & who cares. Do you have children that will be traveling with you?

So, based on that....It was probably my favorite cruises. The ship was totally full, people just seemed in such good spirits, passengers dressed up not only on formal/elegant nights, but majority did so on New Year's Eve (oddly that wasn't a formal night - ship stays to the usual schedule of when formal/now "elegant" night is). The ship was decorated for the holidays, they gave champagne upon boarding, and New Year's Eve out on deck watching the ball drop in Times Square on the big screen TV was great - however, no free champage there : ( Had to buy it by the bottle, yet I read on other ships they gave it out. As I said, I loved it because to me it made me feel like I was celebrating the anticipation of the New Year all week long. Since 8 of those 12 were in the 19 - 24 yr. old range (my kids, their friends, & the other couple's kids), it gave me peace of mind knowing they weren't out driving to/from some club on New Year's Eve. We watched the ball come down together (they ditched us shortly after - lol) & it just made for a nice night that we wouldn't have spent together otherwise. All that upped the value of it for me.

I think everyone should try a New Year's cruise at least once, if lots of kids (similar to summer sailings) don't bother you. I would (& hopefully will) do it again but I find I get more bang for my buck at other times of the year & cheaper airfares to get me to port. I'm going on the Miracle in January 2011 (I think around the 7th). That one wasn't exactly cheap, especially given Jan. is usually an off time, but it had a great southern caribbean itin. out of Florida so we went with it.

Give some feedback on what is making you consider each sailing - the pros & cons to each. I always love to hear other's thoughts & sometimes writing them down helps you decide too.

Thanks for the answers.

Just DH and I are going. We are going primarily for rest, relaxation, sand, sun & snorkeling. We don’t have any kids. We don’t mind them, if they are supervised. They normally make noise and that’s just part of kids (and life). Nevertheless, on our last weekend cruise on the Sensation, kids (I assume) kept pulling the “Snoozin’” tags off our door and the poor staff walked in on me a couple of times (the door was not bolted because DH was on deck doing his thing). I’m reasonably philosophical about these sorts of things and just shrugged it off (and I hear the staff members’ therapy is coming along swimmingly). I don’t think I’d like a whole week of that, though.

As it is the holiday, I am assuming both the Caribbean and the cruise will be crowded. Am I wrong to assume that? Last year we took a last minute Thanksgiving cruise on Destiny. Neither of us cared for the ship. It was small and difficult to get from one end to the other. We found the crowds loud and pushy. At the time, I wasn’t certain why, but thinking back, maybe it was because it was a holiday weekend and the ship was packed with families.

New Year’s Eve is just another night for me. DH loves it, but he is asleep by 10:00 pm. Just last week he fell asleep at my niece’s wedding reception for almost an hour (he trumped my 70-year-old uncle by 30 minutes). So, the New Year is neither here nor there. We also looked at Miracle on the 6th, but the price difference is negligible for a cat. 8K.

We are considering the 29th for the following reasons: We own a business. Business drops off on the 25th until some time after the 1st, so we could get out of town and return while still maintaining the appearance of availability. We would not inconvenience our regular clients and associates, nor affect income much. In other words, our regular contacts mightn’t know we were gone but wouldn’t consider it out of the ordinary if we were. That alone might be worth the cost difference (about $1000 w/ flight).

Alternatively, the 14th looks good for the following reasons: the price difference, the R & R level and aft balconies still available. Why pay for a trip (12/29) that won’t get us the rest that we want and need. Business in mid to late January is completely unpredictable (especially the past two years), so income may or may not be compromised.

I’m leaning towards the 14th, but we need to be practical regarding business. We are just weighing all the factors now and need to decide soon.

O.K.

I want to ask all you experienced cruisers out there - if you were to choose between Miracle departing on 12/29 or 01/14 which would you prefer and why? In addition, how much sun would an aft balcony get as opposed to port and starboard?

1/14 for sure.. for me it would be cause 12/29 you are still in holiday mode some what ..and still have NYE yet. When the end of Jan comes.. I feel sooo down.. not much to look forward to..and I really would love to go away then..

...As it is the holiday, I am assuming both the Caribbean and the cruise will be crowded. Am I wrong to assume that? ....

New Year’s Eve is just another night for me. DH loves it, but he is asleep by 10:00 pm. Just last week he fell asleep at my niece’s wedding reception for almost an hour (he trumped my 70-year-old uncle by 30 minutes).

Alternatively, the 14th looks good for the following reasons: the price difference, the R & R level and aft balconies still available. Why pay for a trip (12/29) that won’t get us the rest that we want and need. Business in mid to late January is completely unpredictable (especially the past two years), so income may or may not be compromised.

I’m leaning towards the 14th, but we need to be practical regarding business. We are just weighing all the factors now and need to decide soon.

I can't stop laughing about DH falling asleep at the wedding & trumping your 70-yr.-old uncle by 30 minutes. So funny!!

Yes, without a doubt the cruise will be crowded & lots of school aged children. I really didn't notice them too much - maybe because I work for a school I'm good at sort of tuning them out...almost like white noise - lol. As far as the Caribbean, I'm sure it will be busy too. Since I usually must take my vacation when school is closed, I didn't notice much difference from the summer crowds though.

From what you described, if it weren't for the business decision I think it would be clear cut to go with the Jan. sailing. No benefit at all for the New Year's cruise. I even take back my suggestion that everyone should try it once. After reading your post, it made me realize that some people just want quiet, low-key, relaxation. My personality is how my DH describes as the oldies song "You can't sit down!" Unless the Miracle has the adult only serenity area, it will not be quiet.

I guess you would have to figure the business angle. Could you conduct business via the internet? Would your customers go elsewhere if they knew you were going away for the week or could you arrange to handle their business before or after the cruise without losing the customer/money? If it wouldn't have a long term effect on your business or the financial loss wouldn't be very substantial, I definately say you should go with the Jan. cruise.

If kids aren't your thing and you're going for rest and relaxation, go in Jan. cheaper and not as many families. We're going Jan.6th on the Miracle.

I'm going on that one too. Looking forward to visiting ports I haven't been to yet. My son & his girlfriend sailing on the Miracle right now.

I guess you would have to figure the business angle. Could you conduct business via the internet? Would your customers go elsewhere if they knew you were going away for the week or could you arrange to handle their business before or after the cruise without losing the customer/money? If it wouldn't have a long term effect on your business or the financial loss wouldn't be very substantial, I definately say you should go with the Jan. cruise.

Up 'til now that is how we have worked it - we have just scheduled around our vacation, but we've been thinking about pushing the vacation back to the holiday week for the aforementioned reasons.

We looked at the same two dates.........even though we wanted to try doing New Years on the ship.......we choose January 14 because it was alot cheaper. We travel with two teenagers. Someday when the kids are (paying for their own cruise) not with us, we'll do the New Years one. :eek:

Come on the 12/29 one with us!! This will be our 3rd New Years Cruise. We went on the Miracle last New Years and Liberty a few years back. I just cant describe how much fun it is to ring in the new year on a cruise. It is the best New Years celebration I have ever had each time. There is no comparison. It costs more, but definitely well worth it. We do have kids but they will be in camp so you will rarely see them. Actually there werent very many last year at all because this cruise sails wed through thurs, you wont find too many kids. Most families prefer the Sat to sat type cruise.

I can see you are concerned about the possibility of causing some inconvenience to your customers. Looking at the picture from the outside, I see owners who appear very dedicated to their business. I would think (hope) your customers realize that too and probably benefit from your dedication in the service/product you provide. For me, if I'm lucky enough to have a business as such to deal with, I'd certainly not begrudge those owners a week vacation. I'd be back there as soon as they returned from well earned time off. Everyone needs a vacation and I'm sure your clients/customers take one too so they can relate.

Also, you said the past 2 years have been unpredictable so there is a possiblity that there hasn't been that much of a change in the economy so Jan. business could be slow. As you said, not slower than the days right after Christmas, but it doesn't seem like you are considering the peak season of your business to leave. You know your customers best though.

It's a hard decision. Good points for both cruises & negatives for both.

OK - Right now with no other thought...just blurt out loud your cruise choice...........and it is....______!

Your gut reaction is usually the best guess.

Let us know what you decide to go with when you make your final decision.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay – Finally did it. I finally took the plunge and booked our cruise. Here’s the follow-up.

First, to all - thank you for the input.

Second, let me say that we also looked at the Miracle through mid-February. Although the totals were roughly the same price (at the time we looked), we discarded those later dates, because

1. Coming off our busiest season, we really need a long break, so a cruise closer to the holiday is an incentive that will help us get through our heavy workload leading up to the holiday.
  2. The return day for each of the other cruises was a weekday, or just prior to a weekday, so we would have to hit the ground running by returning to work right away.
  3. We often have a business retreat the second or third week in February, held some place warm and sunny.

We could get more bang for the buck on the Jan 14th cruise, however we chose the cruise closer to the holiday for the following reasons:

• We can take a long vacation without a discernable impact on business.
  • When we return we can have three days to unpack and ease into our work schedule.
  • At the end of March, we will probably schedule a long weekend off, and, if we go on the business retreat in mid-February, an early January cruise will spread out our time off nicely (roughly six-week intervals).
  • The price disparity leveled out between the two dates. Cruise rates and airfare for the 29th went down. Cruise rates for the 14th went up.
  • Lastly, one of the long extended balconies (cat. 8K) became available, and I was able to nab it.

Overall, it just seemed like the sensible thing to do. We’ll try it this year and if it works out, we will do the same next year. If not, we’ll try a later cruise. Either way, we can’t lose. Don’t cha just love a happy ending – the kind where the people get the ship!

Archived