Mendenhall Trail Help

runner5

I thought I had my plan all figured out but the more I read I get confused again. I had it all planed to take the "falls" trail that is under construction, that Yukon was kind to give me all the details. I recently read the info on the West trail. I will have a car (from Rent a Wreck) so I can drive to the west side, but I only probably have about 4-6 hours. We will take taking the Tempsco Glacier landing at 10:00 and then afterward driving to Mendenhall. Can anyone give me their opinions should I still do the East side or do the West side? Are the views similar? I assume if you need a car the west side may be less crowded. We will be there August 3. Thank you for any help!

I did the West Glacier trail a couple of years ago. The glacier has retreated considerably and the end of the "official" trail is now a couple of miles from the glacier itself. I am in ok shape and it took a good five hours to get to the actual glacier and back. There is a lot of scrambling to get to where the glacier is and there are a lot of holes and cracks that would make actually walking on the glacier difficult.

We just got back, the trail to Nugget falls (I think they call it) from the visitors center was open. We took a "short cut" that we probably were not supposed to take on the way there but coming back we took the trail the whole way. I am not sure why it is called "undeveloped" as it had gravel most of the way. The ranger said that the beginning was muddy but we didn't think so and it was raining. It took us 20 - 30 minutes and was a fabulous view. There were also other trails going to the west side of the glacier but we did not take any of them. Definitely do it, it was fabulous.

I checked this out and I can not figure which trail is for nugget falls(the one people say takes about 40 min RT.) I see a Nugget Creek Trail but it takes 5 hrs. Which is the new trail that everyone talks about on this thread? Thanks

It isn't on this map. It GOES to Nugget Creek, it's NOT the Nugget Creek trail. All you do is walk along the LAKE, to the water falls. It will be noticable when you get there. No WAY to miss it. Just off the Photo Point trail.

These trails all take you to viewing of the glacier. When you go to Mendenhall do you have the opportunity to actually walk on the glacier? I really have no idea if that's even safe or destructive for the glacier, so that's why i'm asking.

These trails all take you to viewing of the glacier. When you go to Mendenhall do you have the opportunity to actually walk on the glacier? I really have no idea if that's even safe or destructive for the glacier, so that's why i'm asking.

The best "glacier" view, is from the Nugget FALLS walk along the lake, and the Photo Point trail. There is VERY little glacier viewing from the other Visitor Center side trails.

I have no experience with the West trail.

The only trail with glacier access, is the West side trail. And for me, I would only do this with a guided service. Since it is such an extended time just GETTING to the glacier, I would want the most efficient use of my time used. The guides will also have the need equiptment- crampons, pick axes, poles etc, of which, I find necessary for glacier trekking.

i hiked the first part of the west glacier trail a few weeks ago. It's a beautiful, well maintained trail with not a lot of traffic. It was nice to be away from the crowds for a while. I'm out of shape and found it pretty strenuous, but not so much i felt like i could not finish the trail given more time. If you are in shape you should be OK -- i think it goes to 1300+ feet?

We didn't complete the trail because we were looking for the mythical ice caves. Not sure if we took the wrong trail or if the glacier has retreated, but we never did find them. I would recommend staying on the main trail as others who were on the trail the same time as us reported beautiful views of the glacier and the ice field. But it was an overlook; you could not touch the glacier from what i understand.

I second Budget Queen's recommendation not to go on the glacier without the proper equipment and guides. I did a glacier climb/hike in Seward and you could get into some serious trouble without the correct equipment. I believe there is a tour operating out of Juneau that received good reviews that either take you to the glacier or allows you to hike on it; i can't remember the name of the tour at this moment.

If i had another day in Juneau (and the weather was nice) i would hike the west glacier trail again, but mostly because i don't like leaving things unfinished. At the end it will be up to you how much time you want to spend hiking on your day in Juneau. It would appear that if you want to spend an hour or so, the nugget falls hike is your best bet. If you wanted a more robust hike at about 5-6 hours west glacier trail would be the hike you want to take. Either way, both lead to views of the glacier, not access to it.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to take a mile trek over the glacier. I was just wondering if you can actually stand on it and get a couple pictures. Wow! Look, I'm on a stinking glacier in ALASKA!!! Then get off and head back.

I actually love the sounds of a nice moderate 5 hour hike and I would much rather do that on my own (well, our own, with my wife) than pay $180 to helicopter down to the ice and walk around for an hour.

However, I would be really sad to go all the way there and not at least stand on the glacier and snap a few pics. I just don't know if there is access to do that or if you have to actually climb up any kind of ice wall (which of course would put an end to the discussion).

I'm talking about a spot where you can scramble up onto the edge of the glacier for the experience and some photos.

yeah, i get what you are saying. that's what we were looking for too when we went looking for the ice caves. we just never found them. they may be there just in a different location than what we took.

If you are going to seward, you may also want to check out Exit glacier. You can hike around there and get glacier access as well.

Thanks everyone!!!! I was thinking of the west side to get away from the crowds, but I will trust BQ, that is may not be worth my time to do the west side. Time to me is precious, and I want to make the most of it. Thanks again!

If standing on a glacier is a priority the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau is probably not the right choice. The one most often taken tour taken by cruisers that gets you on the blue ice is the helicopter excursion, pricey and also at the mercy of weather. I do know of a friend who did a land tour and hike to/on glaciers. IMHO even if you don't stand on a glacier ice, we didn't on this trip it was a spectacular cruise/trip.

I have had many expectations for every vacation/excursion. One thing for Alaska don't put to much into any one thing, glacier, whales, etc. If you do you could come back dissapointed on what really will be a great vacation regardless if you miss a few things.

Google and I think there has got to be a glacier you can hike to in one of your ports?

Here is one picture of how the glacier looks from nugget falls.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to take a mile trek over the glacier. I was just wondering if you can actually stand on it and get a couple pictures. Wow! Look, I'm on a stinking glacier in ALASKA!!! Then get off and head back.

I actually love the sounds of a nice moderate 5 hour hike and I would much rather do that on my own (well, our own, with my wife) than pay $180 to helicopter down to the ice and walk around for an hour.

However, I would be really sad to go all the way there and not at least stand on the glacier and snap a few pics. I just don't know if there is access to do that or if you have to actually climb up any kind of ice wall (which of course would put an end to the discussion).

I'm talking about a spot where you can scramble up onto the edge of the glacier for the experience and some photos.

1000875868_515MendenhallGlacier.jpg.d718741201e2518e46e82960be3fccfb.jpg

Was there any calving on the Mendenhall Glacier while people were viewing it from the new Nugget Falls trail? I haven't heard anyone mention calving like has been seen on Glacier Bay video that was posted.

This is not a real active glacier.

Just to warn people, without planning or a guide, I really wouldn't attempt reaching the glacier. There are few views of the glacier from the West Glacier trail and any access to the glacier itself is from unofficial trails. It would still take several hours both directions.

It's still a great trail, but if those are your two priories, this is not the way to do it. There is a guided tour that will get you on the glacier safely with the proper equipment, but it's for fit hikers and takes most of the day. The best views are from lake level, either off the Nugget Falls trail or the trails to the left of the visitors' center.

Was there any calving on the Mendenhall Glacier while people were viewing it from the new Nugget Falls trail? I haven't heard anyone mention calving like has been seen on Glacier Bay video that was posted.

When I was there on July 4, 2010, there the glacier calved a significant piece of ice. We were near the Visitor's Center when it happened and the sound was so loud! However, I get the impression this was a rare event because some of the Visitor's Center employees came out right as it happened and seemed a little shocked at getting to see such a large piece come off.

Archived