Do you miss the Capers?

DarthGrady

Would you like to see the Capers return?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Capers return?

• Yes, they were better.
    • No, the Fun Times are fine.
    • I don't care.
    • I don't care because I only read them in the bathroom.
    • I'm supposed to read the stuff they leave in the room?
    • I thought capers were something you put into a salad.

For those that have not cruised with CCL recently they have replaced the beloved "Carnival Capers" with "Fun Times" daily newsletter. They have the same information, with a new design. This seems to be in keeping with the new marketing strategy to place the word FUN everywhere, and in huge bold lettering.

I am of the opinion that the Capers were better, and I'm curious to know what others think. I liked that they were a Carnival tradition dating back to at least the early 80's (if not earlier). I also liked that you could just say "check the Capers". If you say "check the Times", that could mean many things. What Times should I check? The clocks around the ship? The New York Times? High Times?!?

Like the old Carnival logo, I think they should stop axing long-time Carnival institutions in favor of being edgy and hip. Leave edgy to NCL.

I like the clarity of the Fun Times design, especially the additional whitespace and the significant reduction in typos, but the content still amounts to the same old self-explanatory activities being hyped and re-hyped while other activities don't get nearly enough attention.

For example, on our last cruise, I didn't attend the first scrapbooking class. I wasn't even sure if it was a scrapbooking class - it was just called "Get Scrappy" on the activity list. I did go to the second one, only to be told that it was too late to participate because I wasn't there on the first day. Something similar happened with one of the trivia events which ended up being a week-long competition, but if you didn't go to the first one, you couldn't get on a team later and compete.

Info like this should have been in the Fun Times, not multiple mentions of the same things. I don't begrudge trying to drum up business for bingo and steakhouse reservations, but surely there's a design that allows for extreme advertising and genuinely useful activity information?

Anyway, I just wish they'd kept the "Capers" name. Changing the name to something more generic, less (ironically) fun, was pointless. I keep hoping they'll switch it back, but we're going to keep calling them the Capers regardless. :)

Hey Darth.....

On to your question...."Do you miss the capers?"

Yes I do....they stopped using them in the veal picatta and I am really peeved....LOL...

Funny part is I can't remember if they were the Capers of Fun Times on the Dream...

I need to cut down on the drinking onboard...LOL

I like the clarity of the Fun Times design, especially the additional whitespace and the significant reduction in typos, but the content still amounts to the same old self-explanatory activities being hyped and re-hyped while other activities don't get nearly enough attention.

For example, on our last cruise, I didn't attend the first scrapbooking class. I wasn't even sure if it was a scrapbooking class - it was just called "Get Scrappy" on the activity list. I did go to the second one, only to be told that it was too late to participate because I wasn't there on the first day. Something similar happened with one of the trivia events which ended up being a week-long competition, but if you didn't go to the first one, you couldn't get on a team later and compete.

Info like this should have been in the Fun Times, not multiple mentions of the same things.

That happened to me regarding the Trivia, too. I went because I saw it advertised in the Capers and they said, "oh, you can't participate because you haven't been here all week". I told them I had only seen an ad that didn't say that and they said, "sorry". So it's not like they don't know.

I actually like the Fun Times better. I think it is "cleaner" looking, and easier to find thing under the subtitles such as "Plan on It", "Hit the Jackpot", etc. I like the top ten they list for each day. Easy to scan and find what I want to do.

It really doesn't matter to me. I do like the Fun Times and think it is easier to read. I have tons of old Capers and like them as well but sometimes the print was really small. As with everything else, they are changing with the times. (no pun intended).

I am certainly planning on cancelling all future cruises with CCL unless they make the return to the Capers. I mean really. Just another fine example how the line is "is dumbing down"(Just saw this on a new Miracle review) fir us masses.

Next thing you know they will be changing the color of the towels!

Another vote for liking the new design of the Fun Times. I don't care what they call it as long as I can get the info that I need from it. The new style is so much easier to follow and highlights the events in a much less congested way. Most of the time we still refer to it as the Capers anyway :)

For those that have not cruised with CCL recently they have replaced the beloved "Carnival Capers" with "Fun Times" daily newsletter. They have the same information, with a new design. This seems to be in keeping with the new marketing strategy to place the word FUN everywhere, and in huge bold lettering.

I am of the opinion that the Capers were better, and I'm curious to know what others think. I liked that they were a Carnival tradition dating back to at least the early 80's (if not earlier). I also liked that you could just say "check the Capers". If you say "check the Times", that could mean many things. What Times should I check? The clocks around the ship? The New York Times? High Times?!?

Like the old Carnival logo, I think they should stop axing long-time Carnival institutions in favor of being edgy and hip. Leave edgy to NCL.

So what you're saying is that you don't like the name change. If it has the same information in a slightly different layout, then nothing has changed but the name and that's a personal choice, but I do understand the concern of phasing out traditional cruising staples. Ah...it tis the world in which we live.

I don't care what they call it as long as I have one when I go to bed at night. Then all I need is a highlighter and I can go off to dream land planning what new adventures I am going to have tomorrow!

I think the Fun Times were a nice "first attempt" at bettering the Capers and have a better layout (love the use of white space).

HOWEVER, I noticed that they are missing some of the information that the Capers used to have (e.g. spa specials with PRICES). So in order to include all the ads and specials they like to promote, they kill a few more trees and insert 2-5 flyers into each of the Fun Times. :(

Plus, they are incredibly redundant! I mean, I've seen ads for the same events like slot tournaments in the Top 10 list, the feature box, and the times, yet the Farewell Party gets just a single line in the time schedule.

So yeah - I miss the Capers.

.....don't seem so crammed with stuff.

I haven't been on a cruise since the Fun Times started, but I've seen pics that others have posted. My opinion is that it's not as "crammed with stuff" because they are leaving stuff out. I'll learn to deal with it, but yes, it's a tie in with the new ad campaign that doesn't have all the kinks quite worked out.

Thanks to those who posted about going to the first one for trivia, etc. I would be highly ticked off if I missed one and was told.... "sorry!":rolleyes:

Hey Darth.....

On to your question...."Do you miss the capers?"

Yes I do....they stopped using them in the veal picatta and I am really peeved....LOL...

Funny part is I can't remember if they were the Capers of Fun Times on the Dream...

I need to cut down on the drinking onboard...LOL

No capers in the picatta? What kind of world do we live in? :D

You and me both with the drinking issue bro! But its only gonna get worse since I have an all inclusive coming up on Sensation! I'll be doing well to even remember being on the ship.

For me it's to easy to miss events. There isn't one complete chronological listing of all events and opening times like there was in the Capers.

And as others have said some events you have to be there on the 1st day or they don't let you participate. I don't think anything should be all or nothing.

I like the clarity of the Fun Times design, especially the additional whitespace and the significant reduction in typos, :)

Lol! On the Carnival Victory back in Dec 2007, I read a typo in the Capers that was so hilarious it has contributed to our fun on Carnival ships ever since. We have even made different forms (plural, adjectives, past tense) of this word they flubbed up.

I voted that I dont care. Not something I normally do sight unseen, but from what I have seen from CC members reviews, that show scanned the new "Fun Times" I dont really see much of a difference. Still has the same info, in much the same layout, with some minor changes. Im still not sure why Carnival had the need to change from Capers to Fun Times, but this is one change from Carnival that really doesnt bother me at all. Of course I may have another opinion after my next Carnival cruise in September. so I will let you all know.:)

Archived