Advice for our first time in Barbados

skidder

• 3 weeks later...

This is tough to answer as it is dependent upon the types of things you like to do. Do you like beaches and/or watersports? Barbados has some lovely beaches and great snorkeling. Would you prefer to see the countryside and some lovely gardens or historical areas? You could hire a driver to give you a tour around the island with a stop at a couple of spots that interest you. We've used Cameron Reid as our driver and had great tours with him. Barbados has beautiful scenery, and there is no lack of great photo op's as you tour around the island. A lot of people enjoy the Wildlife Reserve, where you can see the island's Green Monkeys, and Harrison's Cave is also a very popular attraction on the island. Here's a website that may give you a few ideas to help you narrow down your choices: http://www.barbados.org/points.htm

For a first-time visitor, you can't go far wrong by just taking a general island-tour

either in a coach(ship's tour?) -or hire a taxi and tell him to drive you around until the money runs out!

Try to get over to the scenic East Coast with its big coastal boulders in the Bathsheba area..

BigBoulders-023.jpg

(where you might stop for lunch at Atlantis or Round House)

-and then do the East Coast Road, which will take you up North of the island

and close to the monkeys at Wildlife Reserve, right around 2 p.m. feeding time.

Bathsheba-412.jpg

After that it's a drive down the West Coast, back to the ship for around 4 p.m. or so

becozz.. by then the heat and humidity has you all knocked out, anyways!

• 1 month later...
Barbados is all about beaches and more beaches. They are all gorgeous!!!
Yes, 95% of our beaches are purty darned nice

but Barbados is not all about beaches.

There's a ton of other stuff to do, apart from beaching it...when you get here.

I'd say ANTIGUA is a lot more "all about beaches" (they have nice ones too)

coz there ain't nearly as much alternative non-beach activities on that island.

Yes, 95% of our beaches are purty darned nice

but Barbados is not all about beaches.

There's a ton of other stuff to do, apart from beaching it...when you get here.

I'd say ANTIGUA is a lot more "all about beaches" (they have nice ones too)

coz there ain't nearly as much alternative non-beach activities on that island.

Gee, Because of all you fantastic photos of the beach on Barbados we decided to just do a short tour and then spend most of our time at the beach.. UNTIL last night when I read about the Concorde Experience, I'm sure my hubby would like to see it and we will be there the day it reopens, so do you think we can fit it all it????

I would really like to water ski while we are there. Which beach would you recommend?

Gee, Because of all you fantastic photos of the beach on Barbados we decided to just do a short tour and then spend most of our time at the beach.. UNTIL last night when I read about the Concorde Experience, I'm sure my hubby would like to see it and we will be there the day it reopens, so do you think we can fit it all it????

I would really like to water ski while we are there. Which beach would you recommend?

We did the Concorde Experience when we were last on Barbados(it was my hubby's top pick also). It was very interesting. If you go to the Concorde Experience first, you'll have plenty of time for your beach activities after.

Have a great time on Barbados. It's a lovely island!

Water skiing is strictly a West Coast watersports activity

so you want to head for either Paynes Bay..

or Holetown, the center of water-skiing activity..below

HtownBay-413.jpg

Archived