cruising with vertigo???

kab996

I have vertigo every once in a while and I am scared that the cruise will trigger it for me. I've been dying to go on one but don't want to be a zombie the whole time because i'm taking dramamine. Even non drowsy kind makes me exhausted. Is there alot of motion on cruises? Whats the calmest waters to go with? Southern Caribbean???

thanks

I also suffer from vertigo. I start taking 1/2 dose of drammamine a couple days before the cruise so it's already in my system. The caribbean is usually calmer than the atlantic or pacific but we've still encountered some rough seas at times. Talk to your doctor. They have patches and arm bands ... all different things they can give you to circumvent sea sickness. Enjoy your first cruise and prepare to be hooked!!

There's really no way to say where the calmest waters will be at any given time....even the Great Lakes have their moments and sink ships! ANY body of water can get rough!

If your condition is only once in a while, you'll probably be ok. Your doctor is the one to talk to!

I have had vertigo bouts from time to time since about 1992. Last year I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease after some really violent episodes. I have not been on a cruise ship since then. However, I spent months on ships between 1992 and last year and never had a bout of vertigo onboard. That is not to say I did not have any motion sickness, I did, but it was manageable. I take Meclizine. I do not take Dramamine unless like around Cape Horn or cruising into a storm when I knew it was going to be ugly and I wanted to knock myself out. I take the chewable Meclizine and take 2 every 12 hours when onboard. If it gets really calm, like I have experienced crossing the Indian Ocean, I may cut back to 1 or 1/2 every 12 hours, but I never let it get completely out of my system. I also use Sea Bands, Relief Band (when the seas get really rough) and also Motion-Eaze.

If you don't get motion sickness, then you should not have to worry at all. I do get motion sick, have vertigo, but have never suffered a bout of vertigo on a cruise ship yet. Good luck, Debbie

I get vertigo, and have not found a medication to treat it. I've been on 3 cruises, 2 calm, and 1 rough. None of them triggered a vertigo episode. However, they all gave me the feeling of being a little tipsy. I don't stumble around, but walking is different for me. I have been able to just grin and bear it.

I have had vertigo bouts from time to time since about 1992. Last year I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease after some really violent episodes. I have not been on a cruise ship since then. However, I spent months on ships between 1992 and last year and never had a bout of vertigo onboard. That is not to say I did not have any motion sickness, I did, but it was manageable. I take Meclizine. I do not take Dramamine unless like around Cape Horn or cruising into a storm when I knew it was going to be ugly and I wanted to knock myself out. I take the chewable Meclizine and take 2 every 12 hours when onboard. If it gets really calm, like I have experienced crossing the Indian Ocean, I may cut back to 1 or 1/2 every 12 hours, but I never let it get completely out of my system. I also use Sea Bands, Relief Band (when the seas get really rough) and also Motion-Eaze.

If you don't get motion sickness, then you should not have to worry at all. I do get motion sick, have vertigo, but have never suffered a bout of vertigo on a cruise ship yet. Good luck, Debbie

May I ask how you got diagnosed?? Did you have hearing loss?

May I ask how you got diagnosed?? Did you have hearing loss?

Sure, over the years I had a pattern established of fluctuating hearing loss. After I was hospitalized with a really violent bout, I had a CT scan, an MRI and a neurological/balance evaluation to rule out other causes. Debbie

I have a Vestibular balance problem which causes constant dizziness and vertigo - it is a inner ear disorder. I have no hearing problems. I've been on 3 cruises since I was diagnosed last year with rough and smooth seas and not had any real problems. . The Meclizine just makes me dizzier, so I dont' use that. I usually take the wrist bands with me if I start to feel a little uncomfortable and it will pass with an hour or so. If you are having problems you should check with your doctors to see what they recommend. It's surprising that many doctors do not know that many people with this condition are fine at sea.

I have vertigo, too. I've been on 12 cruises now. I've never had it triggered ON the cruise. However, after the cruise, I've had a few episodes. I found the shorter cruises don't bother me. But, typically a 7-day cruise will trigger it, usually the day after we get home. Bonine usually helps.

Even people without vertigo can get maldebarquement syndrome ---- that dizziness and feeling like you are still on a moving ship ----- that can last a few days or weeks after a cruise.

• 8 months later...

I had a severe ear infection and had hearing loss in one of my ears. I am not able to fly because I get ill and just vomit for a day or two. I am concerned the motion of the ship will trigger an attach. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

I suffer from vertigo, but have been on 20 cruises and never had an issue, even tendering. But if I look outside a plane at all those pretty blue airport lights when it's taxiing at night they start floating around and I almost get ill. Go figure.

Archived