Assignment of Cabins

nybabs

Has anyone ever gotten a really good upgrade with a guarantee on HAL ?

We booked the lowest category basically , HH Obstructed view . We're not expecting anything other than what we booked.

Just curious.

First, the HH Obtructed view cabins on Veendam are all on the Lower Promenade deck. They have a regular oceanview window and get sunlight.

The only difference is that at the edge of the Promenade instead of looking at ocean you will be obstructed fully or partially by ship superstructure. To me it still beats being in an inside cabin as I can get claustrophobic without a window.

As far as a guarantee upgrade, DW and I only sailed on HAL(Veendam) once. The TA said to book an oceanview guarantee. The TA does a good amount of business representing a large corporation. Let's just say she really came thru for us as we got assigned to a very nice oceanview on the

lower Promenade. Whether this was just luck or being an insider I really don't know. And I didn't ask.

On the Bermuda run you are off the ship for the better part of 4 days and only sailing 4 nights (3 nights in port) so the importance of the cabin

IMHO is less than for a 7 night on-the-move sailing cruise.

I am sure you will have a great time in Bermuda.

I am so confused. I thought a guaranteed cabin was one you got the cabin number for right away. I got mine as soon as I paid the deposit. Also, I thought I was getting a HH but the room I have says it is unobstructed.

Does this mean I won't get offered an upgrade? :confused:

I am so confused. I thought a guaranteed cabin was one you got the cabin number for right away. I got mine as soon as I paid the deposit. Also, I thought I was getting a HH but the room I have says it is unobstructed.

Does this mean I won't get offered an upgrade? :confused:

No, a guarantee is one where you pick a minimum level, but not a specific cabin number. The HH on the Zuiderdam are fully obstructed. What cabin number do you have?

Even with an assigned cabin you can always get an upgrade unless you explicitly stated Do Not Upgrade when you booked.

I'm still confused. We didn't have an option and we had to book a FF gty. (last minute cruise) Anyway, I read on HAL web site that it is unobstructed. Then just recently I read it can be obstructed. Anyone know the truth? Also, I saw a picture of an oceanview where the window looked out at an outside deck. I don't think I would like that. What is that considered? Thanks!

I'm still confused. We didn't have an option and we had to book a FF gty. (last minute cruise) Anyway, I read on HAL web site that it is unobstructed. Then just recently I read it can be obstructed. Anyone know the truth? Also, I saw a picture of an oceanview where the window looked out at an outside deck. I don't think I would like that. What is that considered? Thanks!
FFs are never obstructed. They have a 2.5 ft by 3.5 ft window on the A or Dolphin deck (depending on the ship you are on) which looks out directly at ocean.

What was the category of the cabin " ... where the window looked out at an outside deck"? It could have been on the Lower Promenade of an R-class or S-class ship, and the view was across the width of the promenade. Some of the cabins on that deck are unobstructed (Cs & Ds), some are partially obsstructed (DDs) and some are fully obstructed (HH).

Wow... good for you :-)

Hope we get lucky like that for our Aug. 29th sailing.

Enjoy your cruise.

We're leaving sunday aug 1st and just got our assignment yesterday(Wed). We got a nice upgrade from HH obstructed OV to a DA large window OV. We would have been happy either way. Can't wait.

What was the category of the cabin " ... where the window looked out at an outside deck"? It could have been on the Lower Promenade of an R-class or S-class ship, and the view was across the width of the promenade. Some of the cabins on that deck are unobstructed (Cs & Ds), some are partially obsstructed (DDs) and some are fully obstructed (HH).

If I am correct it would be categories C & DD and they are located on the lower promenade deck. BTW, I'm referring to the Statendam. So HAL's terminology is different than what I am familiar with so am I correct that the lower promenade deck has a deck on the outside, all around, that people walk on? Too me, a C or DD is less attractive than an FF. IF I am correct then I would see it as less of a view plus probably a tad noiser with the walkers right outside your door and your window. If the curtains are anything like a hotel or other cruiselines, they never close tightly. I suppose being gty that there isn't much I can do if they assign me a DD.

I would love to know all you experienced HAL cruises thoughts on this. Thanks!

We have had a Cat C and a Cat HH on the Zaandam and Amsterdam, respectively and never heard the walkers going by. The curtains closed very nicely, even if we had to "play" with them a bit to get an overlap. A clothes pin or two or an office spring clip or two works well, too. We think that the Cat C's and especially the Cat HH's are good values, due to their proximity to the outside. To each his or her own, though. :)

No, a guarantee is one where you pick a minimum level, but not a specific cabin number. The HH on the Zuiderdam are fully obstructed. What cabin number do you have?

Even with an assigned cabin you can always get an upgrade unless you explicitly stated Do Not Upgrade when you booked.

We have cabin number 4122, I really thought it looked like it was unobstructed on the layouts. Any help will be appreciated.

Too me, a C or DD is less attractive than an FF. IF I am correct then I would see it as less of a view plus probably a tad noiser with the walkers right outside your door and your window. If the curtains are anything like a hotel or other cruiselines, they never close tightly. I suppose being gty that there isn't much I can do if they assign me a DD.
We've chosen Lower Promenade DDs on two ships because we love the covenient access to the huge promenade deck. We had an FF on the Veendam and consider that the worst cabin we've had on any ship! We'd choose any Lower Prom cabin (even an HH) over an FF any day. :) Yes, the curtains don't close tightly but we always bring clothespins or potato chip bag clips to solve that problem. And we aren't bothered by noise from outside except in the morning when the crew is swabbing the deck.

We have cabin number 4122, I really thought it looked like it was unobstructed on the layouts. Any help will be appreciated.
Yes, F4121 and F4122 are little-known gems. Non-obstructed straight out in a great location IMO! But it does have a narrow angle of view because of the lifeboat just to the right.

Just one more question, if a FF is unobstructed would a cat like a C or DD be considered an upgrade if you aren't right at the waters view? I am just guessing that the beginning of the alphabet is the better of the categories in an oceanview.

Just one more question, if a FF is unobstructed would a cat like a C or DD be considered an upgrade if you aren't right at the waters view? I am just guessing that the beginning of the alphabet is the better of the categories in an oceanview.
Yes, the higher up the alphabet the better the cabin is considered by HAL ... and priced as such. The main reason the FFs are much lower rated is that they are on the bottom deck and at the far ends, which are often noisier and/or have a lot of motion.

We had FF712 on the Veendam and it took me three nights to get a little used to roar of the bow wake all night long. Also we had some loud metallic banging below us several times, and if you are a late sleeper you will be awakened by the noise of thrusters, and winches for the mooring lines, or by the dropping of the anchor in tender ports. Also we ran into a stretch of pretty rough water for a few hours one night and suffered strong jarring as the bow slammed into the waves. At the aft, the FF will likely hear engine and/or propeller noise, as well as morning thrusters and winches. We'll never book an FF again!

I wish you luck in yours ... or a good upgrade, like up to the Lower Promenade! :)

Just got my cabin assignment. We went from a gty FF to D581. Is the main deck good? 581 is pretty much midship so that is good.
IMO that's a huge improvement over any FF! It should be a nice quiet cabin in a convenient location. Congratulations!

Archived