Taking sand from the beach back on board

Meredisney

I was going to post this in the ports of call area, but then I thought about it and my question is really about Carnival rather than the islands.

One of the things I like to do when I visit different beaches is collect sand from all of the different places I have been. It's sort of a new hobby and I have never done it while on a cruise. I will be visiting Nassau, St Thomas and St Maarten in a few days on the Dream and I was wondering if you thought I'd have any difficulty bringing the sand back on board the ship? My plan was to put a few ounces of sand in little Ziploc baggies. Now that I think about it, I'm nervous that when they x-ray my bags when I get back on the ship, they will think that I am smuggling some sort of drugs back on board...

What do you guys think? Am I being paranoid?

Oh, and just in case anyone asks, I’ve done some checking and it is NOT illegal to remove sand from a beach

I think you will be ok. If they think it's drugs, let them sniff a line of it and see how that works out for them. By the way, I have some exotic sand I am interested in selling, if you're in the market. (now where did I put that kitty litter scooper?)

Thanks for the replies!

I think you will be ok. If they think it's drugs, let them sniff a line of it and see how that works out for them.

LOL :D That's Great!!!!

Thanks for the offer of selling, but it's more of a sentimental thing. I like to actually have sand from places I've been too and collected myself. Sort of like a memory.

I'd go with something a little sturdier than a baggy that could easily unzip or get a hole in it - that sand won't be so attractive when it's all over the bottom of your bag :eek:

You know those red candy machines that are in grocery stores that sometimes sell little toys in plastic containers? Those containers are the perfect size for sand, and they're sturdy and have lids that snap shut nicely.

I'd go with something a little sturdier than a baggy that could easily unzip or get a hole in it - that sand won't be so attractive when it's all over the bottom of your bag :eek:

You know those red candy machines that are in grocery stores that sometimes sell little toys in plastic containers? Those containers are the perfect size for sand, and they're sturdy and have lids that snap shut nicely.

I collect sand and shells, as well. We take a few of the half pint water bottles and fill those up. It't the perfect amount.

Happy sand-collecting!!!

Thanks for the replies!

LOL :D That's Great!!!!

Thanks for the offer of selling, but it's more of a sentimental thing. I like to actually have sand from places I've been too and collected myself. Sort of like a memory.

I did do something similar, once. I was in Alaska during a pretty decent volcanic eruption, volcanic ash (like a super super fine sand) was all over everything in Cordova. I took a couple ounces and put it in a little skinny cocktail olive jar and still have it to this day!

im so glad you posted this. i am planning to do the same thing. i have used candle jars i got at walmart and they have a sealed top. i was going to empty the wax and bring it with me to the beach. just hope i can bring glass jars on bord...

im so glad you posted this. i am planning to do the same thing. i have used candle jars i got at walmart and they have a sealed top. i was going to empty the wax and bring it with me to the beach. just hope i can bring glass jars on bord...

I would stick with plastic

My wife and I do this wherever we go. We also have people get sand from where they visit, but we keep these separate (my wife loves the beach theme for the house).

What we do is go to Michael's Craft Store and get a couple of small jars with lids that can be put back on.

They are only a couple dollars, are small (easy to fit in a small pocket) and don't seem to break easy.

We just scoop some sand wherever we go (maybe a small shell or two) and close the lid. Back on the ship we label the bottom of the jar.

When we get home it goes on our shelf.

Just keep it in something very tightly closed until you are sure it is clean. There was an article in our local (Ft Lauderdale) paper last September advising people the sand was dirtier than the water and to beware of parasites. My sister was visiting and wanted to take back some but ended up with one of those already made glass bottles - probably from Mexico. :)

I use pill bottles and I've got sand from most places I've gone to. Forgot to get it in Barbados, so that's just a good reason to go back. Can't wait to get some from the beach in Barcelona next May.

I also found a One Peseta coin at the beach in old Cabo and I put it in with my sand. I call it my "doubloon". I also try to pick up a shell or two to put with the sand.

My wife does it every cruise....just get the good ziplock bags....we keep the sand on our kitchen windowsill with the place where each was taken from.......Never had a problem taking sand on the ship! We don't wave it in front of their nose's though...just put in our backpack or beachbag!

I brought back quart bags filled with sand, bought little shaped sand containers at Micheals (pkg of 3 for $1 each) and gave everyone at work a set:) I know...a little goofy, but I always bring something back for my co-workers.

Where I ran into a snag was at the FLL airport, because I had 1 bag in my carry-on and they had me open my suitcase to check it out. The police office came over to see what they were checking and laughed:D My checked bag also had the TSA note in it and it was checked, so I asume that they saw the other 2 bags and had to see what it was.

No biggie...I still don't know why I had it in my carry-on:confused::confused:

My wife and I do this wherever we go. We also have people get sand from where they visit, but we keep these separate (my wife loves the beach theme for the house).

What we do is go to Michael's Craft Store and get a couple of small jars with lids that can be put back on.

They are only a couple dollars, are small (easy to fit in a small pocket) and don't seem to break easy.

We just scoop some sand wherever we go (maybe a small shell or two) and close the lid. Back on the ship we label the bottom of the jar.

When we get home it goes on our shelf.

Thanks for the explanation. I was reading through this thread and wondering "what in the world do these people do with bottles of sand?"

Now, I know. It goes on a shelf.

I was going to post this in the ports of call area, but then I thought about it and my question is really about Carnival rather than the islands.

One of the things I like to do when I visit different beaches is collect sand from all of the different places I have been. It's sort of a new hobby and I have never done it while on a cruise. I will be visiting Nassau, St Thomas and St Maarten in a few days on the Dream and I was wondering if you thought I'd have any difficulty bringing the sand back on board the ship? My plan was to put a few ounces of sand in little Ziploc baggies. Now that I think about it, I'm nervous that when they x-ray my bags when I get back on the ship, they will think that I am smuggling some sort of drugs back on board...

What do you guys think? Am I being paranoid?

Oh, and just in case anyone asks, I’ve done some checking and it is NOT illegal to remove sand from a beach

I seem to unintentially sumuggle it back on the ship inside my swimsuit. :eek:

Every cruise, I bring back sand from every beach I've ever been to. Usually it's lodged in my swim trunks and sandals.......

Ha I should have read before I posted...lol...some times small shells too. :p

I did do something similar, once. I was in Alaska during a pretty decent volcanic eruption, volcanic ash (like a super super fine sand) was all over everything in Cordova. I took a couple ounces and put it in a little skinny cocktail olive jar and still have it to this day!

I have a little jar of ash from Mt. St. Helens. My tiny little grandmother was there visiting family; we're told she walked around town in a raincoat, shower cap, and surgical mask. She brought home a big bag of ash and rock and when she passed away a couple years ago, I split it between all the grandchildren. Quite a conversation piece, and a good memory of our "Mammy"!!

Also, my dh has a container of Iwo Jima sand............his father fought there and a Marine office had brought it to him as a favor a couple years before he died. It's very interesting - HUGE black rocks/grains - looks like Pop Rocks!

If you're a scrapbooker, make a little "tag book" with some small photos and journaling, tie ribbon or raffia around your jar (you can decorate the lid too) and attach the tag book, and you have a decorative mini-scrapbook of your trip.

Archived