Taking sand from the beach back on board

Meredisney

Here you go:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/agri_prod_inus.xml

Last spring when we were coming back from Cozumel, I had a plastic bottle filled with sand. The security agent looking thru my carry on said with a wink, "You'll want to make sure this goes home in your checked bag."

Some places are more strict than others when it comes to enforcing the no-soil-from-foreign-land US Customs policy.

I was going to post this in the ports of call area, but then I thought about it and my question is really about Carnival rather than the islands.

One of the things I like to do when I visit different beaches is collect sand from all of the different places I have been. It's sort of a new hobby and I have never done it while on a cruise. I will be visiting Nassau, St Thomas and St Maarten in a few days on the Dream and I was wondering if you thought I'd have any difficulty bringing the sand back on board the ship? My plan was to put a few ounces of sand in little Ziploc baggies. Now that I think about it, I'm nervous that when they x-ray my bags when I get back on the ship, they will think that I am smuggling some sort of drugs back on board...

What do you guys think? Am I being paranoid?

Oh, and just in case anyone asks, I’ve done some checking and it is NOT illegal to remove sand from a beach

I also have done this, on a land based trip and also on a cruise and never had any issues when going through x-ray, I take along a few ziplock bags and put sand and shells in them.

I was going to post this in the ports of call area, but then I thought about it and my question is really about Carnival rather than the islands.

One of the things I like to do when I visit different beaches is collect sand from all of the different places I have been. It's sort of a new hobby and I have never done it while on a cruise. I will be visiting Nassau, St Thomas and St Maarten in a few days on the Dream and I was wondering if you thought I'd have any difficulty bringing the sand back on board the ship? My plan was to put a few ounces of sand in little Ziploc baggies. Now that I think about it, I'm nervous that when they x-ray my bags when I get back on the ship, they will think that I am smuggling some sort of drugs back on board...

Oh, and just in case anyone asks, I’ve done some checking and it is NOT illegal to remove sand from a beach

It is nearly impossible to go to any beach and not come back with sand. It's on your feet, in your clothes and your nether regions. Been going to the beach all my life and always come back with sand, on purpose or not. Scoop some up, put it in a bag and you are good to go.

Daughter has been doing this for years. She has stored them in separate spice jars with each labeled. Has them in her basement on display as the theme there is beach and Jimmy Buffet. She somehow cleans and dries very well before bottling.

What makes hers look very interesting is they are in round, ball like jars with label on bottom so as not to distract from the look.

Daughter has been doing this for years. She has stored them in separate spice jars with each labeled. Has them in her basement on display as the theme there is beach and Jimmy Buffet. She somehow cleans and dries very well before bottling.

What makes hers look very interesting is they are in round, ball like jars with label on bottom so as not to distract from the look.

YES, That's exactly what I was planning! I ordered my jars yesterday.

I have a little jar of ash from Mt. St. Helens. My tiny little grandmother was there visiting family; we're told she walked around town in a raincoat, shower cap, and surgical mask. She brought home a big bag of ash and rock and when she passed away a couple years ago, I split it between all the grandchildren. Quite a conversation piece, and a good memory of our "Mammy"!!

Also, my dh has a container of Iwo Jima sand............his father fought there and a Marine office had brought it to him as a favor a couple years before he died. It's very interesting - HUGE black rocks/grains - looks like Pop Rocks!

If you're a scrapbooker, make a little "tag book" with some small photos and journaling, tie ribbon or raffia around your jar (you can decorate the lid too) and attach the tag book, and you have a decorative mini-scrapbook of your trip.

Wow, that Iwo sand is pretty crazy. That makes for a vivid memory, make sure that gets kept in the fam.

We've taken sand from the beaches, we've always just bought a bottled water while in port and when we were done drinking the water put the sand in the water bottle and carried it back on ship in the tote bag we carry to the beach.

We let the bottle dry out before putting the sand in.

Sharon

We've taken sand from the beaches, we've always just bought a bottled water while in port and when we were done drinking the water put the sand in the water bottle and carried it back on ship in the tote bag we carry to the beach.

We let the bottle dry out before putting the sand in.

Sharon

That is exactly what I do.:)

Like or not, we bring a ton of it back to the cabin in our shoes, towels etc. Watch out for shell though, customs is funny. My daughter bought a big conch shell in Jamaica and when we got off the ship in Miami, she had one of those plastic beach bags you can see through as a carryon. They saw the shell and said it was not allowed to be brought back in. They took it from her. :mad: Not that we got into any trouble, it was just not allowed and they saw it in her bag. Never thought of smuggling sea shells but apparently if you want one, don't have it in a clear bag when you go through customs.;)

[quote name='Meredisney']I was going to post this in the ports of call area, but then I thought about it and my question is really about Carnival rather than the islands.

Oh, and just in case anyone asks, I’ve done some checking and it is NOT illegal to remove sand from a beach[/quote]

If the security people have a problem telling beach sand from drugs, then I would be rather concerned about the security of the ship.

Archived