Nickel & Dime? Not Only NCL!

Sauer-kraut

Did they add the charge after booking or at the time of booking?

They added it after people had booked and intended to charge them for it. I think in the end they gave it back to them as OBC and only charged it to those that booked after the announcement. The Florida Attorney General may have fed in to that change.

I'm not sure of that but I do know that a lot of stink was raised after it was added to bookings made prior to the announcement.

They now have that paragraph about the right to charge the surcharge if the price of a barrel goes up over $65 in case they decide to do it again so they can make it retroactive before the announcement.

Tucker in Texas

halos,

Rather than quoting your whole post, I agree with everything you say.:)

As far as those who would like to pay more than being "nickeled and dimed" to death.......HATE that phrase.....like you say it's all about having the choice of what someone wants. You want it, YOU pay for it....simple. (end of quote)

Comments by SW

And -- If you don't want it, ignore the sales pitches. If you watch TV, someone is trying to sell you something every two or three minutes. It doesn't bother me !!! I am also not bothered by the street peddlers in Mexico or the "yard sales" on the ship. Obviously many others feel the same way, or there wouldn't be the congestion when the sale is going on. If you don't like it, IGNORE IT !!!!

While cruise pricing has not risen too much in the past 10 yrs., we paid $399 pp for a 7 nt. cruise on the Norway in an inside cabin during spring break in the mid-90's. In the mid 80's or so we sailed on NCL's Seaward and did dine in Le Bistro for $5 pp. We didn't think it was "all that" and found that the food in the main D.R. was equally as good. Since that time we have cruised 23 more times on several different cruiselines and have only eaten in a "fee" restaurant two more times. We were not particularly impressed either time.

I guess what I dislike most is that it does seem like we are returning more to the old class system on cruiselines where many of us are going to start feeling like we are in steerage. The trend seems to be towards special public areas created just for those sailing in pricier cabins. And now it costs to attend some of the shows (!), or sunbathe in a quieter area, not to mention fewer free beverages and such. Sure, no one HAS to take part in extra costs activities, but let's face it, more and more of the things that used to be included and were SO a part of the cruising experience are now coming w/fees. IWe all know various charges can add up very fast on a ship. Meanwhile cruises are still touted as basically "all inclusive vacations". With all of the newer charges, many cruisers may find they can hardly afford to take part in anything when they are on the ship!

I think the nickel-and-dime plaint stems to a certain degree from what some perceive as the attitude of the hawkers for ship services who show up so often at public events. If one is on a NCL shore excursion with lots of folks signed up, the call for the meeting in the theatre or observation lounge seems to include a quarter hour of hawking lottery tickets. In the main dining rooms the wine guy (or woman) seems very pushy the first couple of days, disapproving of rejection the third day and absent from then on out. To get from aft on one deck to forward on another almost always requires passage through the photo store -- which usually includes a line of tables selling perfume, jewelry or such.

I guess what I dislike most is that it does seem like we are returning more to the old class system on cruiselines where many of us are going to start feeling like we are in steerage.

The fact is that if they charged what they needed to, a flat rate to everyone, and made it all equal/all included, many people...(not necessarily you) would NOT be able to cruise AT ALL.

I'm sure a lover of cruises would choose 'steerage' as opposed to not cruising.

You're only in 'steerage' in your head. If you get annoyed that other people have 'more', that's your issue.

The trend seems to be towards special public areas created just for those sailing in pricier cabins. And now it costs to attend some of the shows (!), or sunbathe in a quieter area, not to mention fewer free beverages and such. Sure, no one HAS to take part in extra costs activities, but let's face it, more and more of the things that used to be included and were SO a part of the cruising experience are now coming w/fees. IWe all know various charges can add up very fast on a ship. Meanwhile cruises are still touted as basically "all inclusive vacations". With all of the newer charges, many cruisers may find they can hardly afford to take part in anything when they are on the ship!

I have never booked a suite, but if I DID put that kind of money out, you bet your butt I would like special treatment. :)

CCL suites come with NO perks (like NCL's) If I were to book a suite I wouldn't bother on CCL. I would on NCL because of the special treatment/perks.

Class system?? Yeah, it definitely is...but not everyone is bothered by that.

I don't begrudge anyone who books a suite their special space on a ship. They paid heavily for it. NOW..if everyone paid the same amount and some were treated differently, that would be a turn off for me. But why shouldn't you get what you pay for??

Would you prefer a cruise ship/line that didn't even OFFER perks to those who pay a heavy fare; a ship with no suites so you wouldn't have to cruise for a week 'knowing' that there were people out there having special treatment??? Would that make your week in your cabin category better somehow??

Maybe it would....you be the judge.

I think the nickel-and-dime plaint stems to a certain degree from what some perceive as the attitude of the hawkers for ship services who show up so often at public events. If one is on a NCL shore excursion with lots of folks signed up, the call for the meeting in the theatre or observation lounge seems to include a quarter hour of hawking lottery tickets. In the main dining rooms the wine guy (or woman) seems very pushy the first couple of days, disapproving of rejection the third day and absent from then on out. To get from aft on one deck to forward on another almost always requires passage through the photo store -- which usually includes a line of tables selling perfume, jewelry or such.

I can totally understand that...I just don't let all that bother me because I have to accept this because cruising the lines that don't do this is not in my budget.

Because the cruise lines that are in my budget, NEED to do this to keep the rates low enough for me to sail, I need to suck it up, so I do.

The way I see it, we have a 4 choices.

1) Understand why they have to do it and go with the flow

2) Be annoyed for your entire cruise because of it

3) Choose a different line...a luxury line that doesn't peddle anything.

4) Stop cruising...try a different mode of vacation.

For me 3 and 4 are not possible choices and 2 is not my style...so I choose #1. If you can think of another choice please feel free to add...I can think of no more, myself.

First of all, how old is she by now? She was old when I was a college student 30 yrs ago! Second of all, I would LOVE to hear her speak on a cruise. Who cares if they're selling her books? Just don't buy it if you don't want it! Although, I have to admit, on a recent Celebrity cruise, it was a pleasant relief not to hear the constant loudspeaker announcements for BINGO.

I don't see NCL as nickle and diming, just providing options.

Exactly right. Strange that disneysteve is incapable of comprehending this simple, obvious principle. I think what we're seeing now is just stubbornness.

We love having the ability to choose from 80-100 main course options every night. What other mass-market cruise line offers this? Doesn't mean we have to spend additional, though. That's one major advantage of NCL. Remarkable that some see this as some kind of problem.:cool:

While cruise pricing has not risen too much in the past 10 yrs., we paid $399 pp for a 7 nt. cruise on the Norway in an inside cabin during spring break in the mid-90's. In the mid 80's or so we sailed on NCL's Seaward and did dine in Le Bistro for $5 pp. We didn't think it was "all that" and found that the food in the main D.R. was equally as good. Since that time we have cruised 23 more times on several different cruiselines and have only eaten in a "fee" restaurant two more times. We were not particularly impressed either time.

I guess what I dislike most is that it does seem like we are returning more to the old class system on cruiselines where many of us are going to start feeling like we are in steerage. The trend seems to be towards special public areas created just for those sailing in pricier cabins. And now it costs to attend some of the shows (!), or sunbathe in a quieter area, not to mention fewer free beverages and such. Sure, no one HAS to take part in extra costs activities, but let's face it, more and more of the things that used to be included and were SO a part of the cruising experience are now coming w/fees. IWe all know various charges can add up very fast on a ship. Meanwhile cruises are still touted as basically "all inclusive vacations". With all of the newer charges, many cruisers may find they can hardly afford to take part in anything when they are on the ship!

I have never felt deprived while on a cruise. I book low priced cabins and will spend a few bucks for the amenities I choose to use.

I have no problem with those who choose to spend up to 10 times as much as I for a higher priced cabin, and don't begrudge them getting all the bells and whistles that go with it. I can be on the ship 70 days for the same money they spend for 7 days. I find a lot of mental comfort in that !!!

Strange that disneysteve is incapable of comprehending this simple, obvious principle. I think what we're seeing now is just stubbornness.

Sorry. I'm not trying to be stubborn or difficult. Just expressing a different opinion. We don't have the extensive cruise history that many of you have so we don't have as much experience to compare to. We just felt that our most recent cruise on NCL wasn't as nice overall as our previous trips on Carnival. The food and service weren't as good and there seemed to be a lot more emphasis on selling us stuff while onboard. I do realize that Carnival may have changed since we last sailed with them since it has been 5 years and they may now do the same stuff that annoyed us on NCL but I have no basis for judging that one way or the other. We can only compare to what we have experienced in the past.

As a reality check, look at what is happening to the mainstream cruise lines that tried to maintain the image they had a few years ago. They got "gobbled up" by Carnival. They still put on a little bit of a show, but they are in the "belly of the beast".

Some have the mistaken belief that Carnival (nicknamed "Cannibal" by the mistaken believers) only recently acquired the many cruise lines it now owns. That's not true-- Carnival has owned most of them for some time.

Carnival acquired HAL in 1989; Seabourne in 1992; Cunard in 1998; Costa Cruises in 2000; and most recently, Princess (P&O) in 2002. I can't tell you how many times I've read things like "HAL has really gone downhill now that Carnival acquired them" written by cruisers who went on their first HAL cruise after, say, 2000!

Any changes and/or cutbacks in recent years in Carnival-owned lines are due to the same factors (e.g. inflation and recession) as cutbacks on Royal Caribbean or NCL.

We just felt that our most recent cruise on NCL wasn't as nice overall as our previous trips on Carnival. .

There is no doubt that the two lines offer very different cruise experiences.

Many people are loyal to one line or another. I like every line I have sailed...each offer something different and when you are fortunate enough to sail often, variety is very nice. :)

Carnival may excel in one area, and NCL another.

It would be great to find a cruise line that excelled in every area. I have yet to find that one. So, I'll keep cruising until I do.

It's a tough job, but someobody's gotta do it. :D:p:D

Sorry. I'm not trying to be stubborn or difficult. Just expressing a different opinion. We don't have the extensive cruise history that many of you have so we don't have as much experience to compare to. We just felt that our most recent cruise on NCL wasn't as nice overall as our previous trips on Carnival. The food and service weren't as good and there seemed to be a lot more emphasis on selling us stuff while onboard. I do realize that Carnival may have changed since we last sailed with them since it has been 5 years and they may now do the same stuff that annoyed us on NCL but I have no basis for judging that one way or the other. We can only compare to what we have experienced in the past.

Just hop over to the Carnival board, put in nickel and diming in the search function and see what you get.;)

Just hop over to the Carnival board, put in nickel and diming in the search function and see what you get.;)

Like I said, our last Carnival cruise was 5 years ago so things certainly may have changed. I guess it is a reflection of the economy and of the push to market cruising to an ever larger audience including folks for whom cruising may have previously been unaffordable. If that's the case, it is kind of a shame because I think they are cheapening the cruise experience in the process.

Like I said, our last Carnival cruise was 5 years ago so things certainly may have changed. I guess it is a reflection of the economy and of the push to market cruising to an ever larger audience including folks for whom cruising may have previously been unaffordable. If that's the case, it is kind of a shame because I think they are cheapening the cruise experience in the process.

I totally agree with that. This is why I don't mind 'upscaling' myself.

Going to the surcharge restaurants helps lessen the feel of a cheapened cruise...a suite would definitely help :D...(will have to try that one time. Right now, I'm looking for quantity and suites would limit my cruising.)

Avoiding the ship talks/stores and anything having to do with being near Bingo helps too :)

I totally agree with that. This is why I don't mind 'upscaling' myself.

Going to the surcharge restaurants helps lessen the feel of a cheapened cruise

That makes sense, as long as you feel that the surcharge restaurants are worth the extra cost. Personally, while we enjoyed our meal at Le Bistro, we didn't feel it was worth the $40. If we had to do it again, we'd skip it and use the money for drinks or shopping or something else.

We "upscaled" ourselves on this cruise by getting balcony cabins, something we hadn't done previously. That was very nice and we definitely spent a lot more time in our cabins as a result. So I guess that is another example of making the cruise more special.

Just for the heck of it:

My NCL cruise in December $419 pp for 7 days.

A Regent cruise during the same time period, same ports, same length but "all inclusive" runs $3365 ( I assume pp, you have to call for a price quote )

We just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Pearl. Overall it was a nice experience. My biggest complaint was that out of the 12 restaurants that were available, 8 charged cover fees from $10 to $25 per person. My son and his buddy ate at Cagneys and paid the $25 cover per person and when they ordered steak and lobster, the lobster was an additional $10, so the cover was actually $35, more than what it would cost for a steak and lobster in upstate NY. After being on RCL's Adventure of Sea and having this included with the cruise cost, I was a little put off by the charge. On the return trip back, we had two days at sea in a row. Most of the restaurants were closed for most of the day until 4:30 to 5pm. I guess I really didn't understand that. The ridiculous priced drinks and other "extras" were priced about the same as any other cruise line. The NCL staff I thought were great, especially the Steward and Stewardess. But would I cruise again with NCL, probably not. I sold my son and his buddy (big eaters) on going with us on the fact that they could eat all they want and in the specialty restaurants, that wasn't necessarily the case. but overall it was ok.

We just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Pearl. Overall it was a nice experience. My biggest complaint was that out of the 12 restaurants that were available, 8 charged cover fees from $10 to $25 per person. My son and his buddy ate at Cagneys and paid the $25 cover per person and when they ordered steak and lobster, the lobster was an additional $10, so the cover was actually $35, more than what it would cost for a steak and lobster in upstate NY. After being on RCL's Adventure of Sea and having this included with the cruise cost, I was a little put off by the charge. On the return trip back, we had two days at sea in a row. Most of the restaurants were closed for most of the day until 4:30 to 5pm. I guess I really didn't understand that. The ridiculous priced drinks and other "extras" were priced about the same as any other cruise line. The NCL staff I thought were great, especially the Steward and Stewardess. But would I cruise again with NCL, probably not. I sold my son and his buddy (big eaters) on going with us on the fact that they could eat all they want and in the specialty restaurants, that wasn't necessarily the case. but overall it was ok.

No one forces you to go to the surcharged restaurants. Had there been two surcharged restaurants--like most other mass-market cruise lines--instead of eight would you have been happier? If so, why? Isn't it preferable to have eight choices instead of two? I am constantly amazed by people whining because NCL offers more choices than other cruise lines.

And whose fault is it that you misinformed your son and his buddy? NCL's? I don't think so. Look in the mirror and you'll see.

I don't believe NCL nickle and dimes people like some think. I just think it's more variety. I've sailed on Princess, NCL and RCCL, and I think NCL has the most dining variety. NCL is also one of the cheapest cruise lines out there, if not the cheapest. I'd rather pay a lower ticket price, and then pay extra if I decide to eat in a specialty restaurant, play bingo, climb a rock wall, etc etc.

Interested in your opinion of the quality of food of the non up charge restaurants on the different lines...

Yes, lobster and steak are available in the MDR on RCCL but a 2" piece of lobster on the fisherman's platter or the steak in an NCL specialty restaurant cannot be compared.

Yes, your son and his friend could eat all they want in the MDR........at any of the meal times. I could be wrong but I do not remember a specialty restaurant on RCCL being open morning to night so it was nothing unusual on NCL as to their opening time. Did you think they could eat all they want in the specialty restaurant as well? RCCL has the same allowances as NCL......you can have more than one or several appetizers and desserts but only one entrtee', although it's been posted that people have had more than one entree' on both lines......me included.:o:D

The buffets are usually open for any number of hours and there's always a grill with burgers pizza, fries, etc. so there's relatively few if any hours someone cannot get something to eat.;)

BTW, I just checked the price of surf and turf at our favorite restaurant, it's $35.50 and does not include any appetizers or dessert.

Just glad that you thought your overall experience was nice.:)

Yes, lobster and steak are available in the MDR on RCCL but a 2" piece of lobster on the fisherman's platter or the steak in an NCL specialty restaurant cannot be compared.

Yes, your son and his friend could eat all they want in the MDR........at any of the meal times. I could be wrong but I do not remember a specialty restaurant on RCCL being open morning to night so it was nothing unusual on NCL as to their opening time. Did you think they could eat all they want in the specialty restaurant as well? RCCL has the same allowances as NCL......you can have more than one or several appetizers and desserts but only one entrtee', although it's been posted that people have had more than one entree' on both lines......me included.:o:D

The buffets are usually open for any number of hours and there's always a grill with burgers pizza, fries, etc. so there's relatively few if any hours someone cannot get something to eat.;)

BTW, I just checked the price of surf and turf at our favorite restaurant, it's $35.50 and does not include any appetizers or dessert.

Just glad that you thought your overall experience was nice.:)

Or being in a rather nice environment 10 stories up out at sea;)

sottovoce for being so gracious and giving such a warm welcome to a new poster. :confused: I just thought I would give my opinion on our recent cruise. This is what we experienced and all we had to go by was what we had seen and experienced on RC. I informed my son as to what we had with RC. Sorry I offended any of you by saying a negative regarding NCL. I kinda thought this was an opinion board. Guess I was wrong. And by the way, many of the cruisers on this ship had the same thoughts as we did and were verbal about it. I kept my mouth shut and accepted the fact that I got ripped off. Lesson learned. Probably should have done the same here. No need to respond as I won't be back.

sottovoce for being so gracious and giving such a warm welcome to a new poster. :confused: I just thought I would give my opinion on our recent cruise. This is what we experienced and all we had to go by was what we had seen and experienced on RC. I informed my son as to what we had with RC. Sorry I offended any of you by saying a negative regarding NCL. I kinda thought this was an opinion board. Guess I was wrong. And by the way, many of the cruisers on this ship had the same thoughts as we did and were verbal about it. I kept my mouth shut and accepted the fact that I got ripped off. Lesson learned. Probably should have done the same here. No need to respond as I won't be back.

Wow. That's a pretty amazing diatribe. Ripped off? Really?

That makes sense, as long as you feel that the surcharge restaurants are worth the extra cost. .

I do.

My experiences in LeBistro were wonderful...as well as Teppanyaki, and Salsa.

My experience in Gagney's was never that great...so I just skip that now.

The Italian place is also good for the extra $10 pp....GREAT osso bucco with polenta!! :)

I do not for one minute think any of the surcharge restaurants, with the exception of Teppanyaki, are equivalent to the steak houses on CCL. But those cost a bit more too ($30 pp)

And, although CCL's MDR food is definitely my favorite MDR food, I feel the surcharge places on NCL have better food than that.

I'm going to take my first extended cruise on CCL in 2012.....I am curious as to how I will feel eating in the same dining room night after night for 15 days.

The two long cruises I took on NCL were great due to the fact thta I felt like I had such a variety :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bmbrhd1:

There is no sin in prefering Royal Caribbean :) My opinion (which is nothing more than opinion) is though, that as far as main dining room food goes, RCCL is the absolute worst.

You don't need to be nickeled and dimed on RCCL because their exhorbitant fare prices include all the nickels and dimes already...unless you want to count Johnny Rockets, which you pay extra for.

RCCL offers less FREE dining venues than NCL.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the options NCL offers. Different strokes for different folks.

I know people who are Royal Loyals...I don't see the attraction, myself. I do think their ships are gorgeous...other than that I was totally unimpressed with the line the one time I sailed and it will take the deal of the century to have me try them again. I won't pay that much more for a cruise that gave me less than what I feel other lines give me.

Wow. That's a pretty amazing diatribe. Ripped off? Really?

Did you notice that they didn't respond to my post where I countered everyone of their amazing misconceptions? Nothing was really any different on NCL than we experienced on RCCL and it's not just opinions, it's facts, i.e. what time restaurants open, how much one can eat, etc.

For some strange reason, it seemed like the poster thought his son and friend were going to be able to eat all they wanted 24 hours a day and even at the specialty restaurants.:D

Oh sorry........no one was supposed to respond.:p

Archived