Whats jersey week, and why is that bad if we are crusing over it?

im sticking with it ... i mean come on ... we are new yorkers! haha.

Wouldn't worry about it in the very least bit ....unless you were looking to do some geriatric sailing or something:rolleyes:....and then you would want to be on Holland America anyway;).....enjoy and stick with it:)

lol, I was going to say, if you are worried about cruising with Jersey folks, you probably should never go on the Explorer. The question 'where are you from' more often than not is just shorthand for 'where in NJ are you from?'.

As a Jersey girl myself I love it.

Would that be the "what exit?" question? :p When I lived in Jersey I lived at Exit 150 (Bloomfield). Grandma lived at Exit 100 (Asbury Park).

Really? All the families in New Jersey that have kids are going to herd to cruise ships? Don't think so. :rolleyes:

WE (those of us on these boards) are the only ones who live, eat, breath and think CRUISE at any glimpse of a vacation we get. :D

I think it will be fine, have fun!!

Someone mentioned having gone to Disney during Teachers' Convention week and finding it packed. That is definitely true. However, Disney has wised up to that and this year, they extended their free dining promotion, but TC week is mysteriously absent from the available dates. They know what's going on, and how to make more money using it.

I think that it's not that there are so many more people, just that you seem to run into more Jersey people during that week. We prefer that week, and when we bought our DVC interest (timeshare for Disney property) we actually bought our points based upon the number we'd need for TC week. Of course, as our older son moved into middle school, we find that we can't pull him out that easily anymore.

And I'm sorry for those for whom the folks from Jersey are not a problem, but rather the kids...I know that when the kids leave the nest, couples don't want to spend their entire vacation around kids. But really, what else would you expect on a Freedom class ship during a huge vacation week for a major state?

My sister is an elementary school principal. Loves her kids...seriously. But refuses to sail on big ships, keeps to the smaller ones (Enchantment, Century) and is booked on Radiance in December. Loves my kids, doesn't want to vacation with them. I get it, really. So this is a good thread to keep in mind if looking at the first week of November.

Oh, and I'm exit 27 off Rt. 80.

would you change dates of your cruise because of it?

Most definately. Sailed the Radiance several years ago unaware of "Jersey Week". So much like an overcrowded Summer cruise with way too many kids. We now know better not to sail around the 1st week in November. Nothing against Summer cruising or cruisers, we just prefer a quieter ambiance.

We didn't notice an overabundance of people from NJ, but there were more than you would expect not realizing what week it was.

Just curious how you can tell someone is from NJ. Do they look different than the rest of us?

im sticking with it ... i mean come on ... we are new yorkers! haha.

I say go for it .....You're a New Yorker, I'm from Connecticut with a mom that was born and raised in Brooklyn. New Jersey is a walk in the park for us . *LOL* Enjoy Your Cruise :)

Don't you just LOVE these tv shows that portray our states in an unflattering light. NOT!

Not to get off topic...but I consider it so insulting! I only live 3 miles from the Jersey housewives, yet nobody in my town has an accent like theirs or likes to brawl!:o

Back to topic: I have cruised from Port Canaveral on DCL during Jersey week and there didn't seem to be many Jerseyans onboard.

Just curious how you can tell someone is from NJ. Do they look different than the rest of us?

Talking to people???? We like to meet the people we cruise with and not many we talked to were from NJ.

BTW, I am a NJian (is that a word??) so I know what they look like :D. Seriously though, most people from NJ are just like people from any place else. Believe it or not I have a family of deer living in my yard and can barely see my neighbors through the trees. Not what most people think of as NJ. And, I don't live anywhere near the parkway so have no idea what exit I would tell someone :eek:. No, we are not all the same.

I was at a concert once (yes, in NJ!) and there was a woman there wearing a NJ license plate on a rope around her neck. I spotted her as from NJ with NO problem! (but I still don't understand!)

If everyone in NJ was like my sister they would be easy to spot-they're the ones who panic if they have to get gas in PA! She was traumatized for a week that there was no one to pump it for her!

If everyone in NJ was like my sister they would be easy to spot-they're the ones who panic if they have to get gas in PA! She was traumatized for a week that there was no one to pump it for her!

I am a Jersey Girl, lived here all my life, but I know how to pump my own gas, and even change a tire if need be. I grew up with brothers. I have since taught my daughter how to pump gas (she will be 20 tomorrow :eek:) just in case she needs to do it. Of course we only live a few minutes from PA so we are there a lot, besides the fact that she goes to college in Pittsburgh :D she'll need to know how somday.

I was at a concert once (yes, in NJ!) and there was a woman there wearing a NJ license plate on a rope around her neck. I spotted her as from NJ with NO problem! (but I still don't understand!)

When I got married many years ago in rural Connecticut. Two of the ladies I work with came to the church. One of them later told me when they entered the church they looked at one section of pews and said "That must be his mom and all the aunts from Brooklyn . I said how did you know. She said because it was the last week in August and they are all wearing mink *LOL*

I am a Jersey Girl, lived here all my life, but I know how to pump my own gas, and even change a tire if need be. I grew up with brothers. I have since taught my daughter how to pump gas (she will be 20 tomorrow :eek:) just in case she needs to do it. Of course we only live a few minutes from PA so we are there a lot, besides the fact that she goes to college in Pittsburgh :D she'll need to know how somday.

Which school does she attend? My daughter is applying to a Pittsburgh college...Duquesne. Pittsburgh's just like Jersey!;)

Goinmobile: You are right about that pumping gas! I have NO clue what to do. Luckily whenever I am in another state, there is always a nice gentleman willing to help out a damsel in distress!

Guest maddycat
I was on the Explorer last fall during "Jersey week". (10/29-11/7 cruise) Not many kids at all. The few kids that were on, were younger and well behaved. If you didn't know it was "jersey week" you would not notice any difference in that cruise in comparison to any other fall cruise.

I was on the same cruise last year. I agree. I didn't notice many kids on the ship. So, the ones who were there were very well behaved. I booked the Explorer again for the same time this year (Oct. 28 - Nov. 7, 2010). I didn't even think about teacher's convention, and I'm a retired teacher.

It sounds like most states must have this teacher's conference - and the kids get a long weekend. I'm originally from MN, and we called it MEA weekend...started out with two days off, then went to 3, now some schools might even schedule the whole week off. Tons of families take vacations then - and airfares, etc tend to reflect that. I just used to assume all states were the same week....but guess not, since MN was the second week of October.

Did I mention that she grew up in PA & didn't move to Jersey until she was 21? And still lives just over the bridge? When she was at school at Temple, she took a defense class & part of it was understanding how to change a tire & she called me to ask how. When I got to the term "lug wrench" she called me a liar & asked to talk to Dad! To this day, she has never changed a tire, but maybe she's really smarter than I am!

Goinmobile: You are right about that pumping gas! I have NO clue what to do. Luckily whenever I am in another state, there is always a nice gentleman willing to help out a damsel in distress!

I've lived in Florida since 1996 and still haven't pumped my own gas.

Isn't that why I have a DH?;)

Guest maddycat

I was getting gas a couple of days ago. There was an SUV in front of me at the gas pump from Mass. The driver came over to my car and asked me if he was supposed to tip the attendant for pumping his gas. I told him that it is illegal in NJ to pump your own gas. No tip was necessary.

Now that I've heard what it is it makes sense but those of us that work in a school just call it "Thank God ...Long weekend" LOL!!!

This! I work in a high school in New Jersey and look forward to my four day weekend! From talking to the kids (and seeing how many of them are absent for the entire week), I know that many of them go on vacation. Florida is the most popular response I get, but I do know that some of them go on the Explorer.

I am shocked and amazed someone would want to change their cruise due to the Teachers Conference and it being called Jersey week, worried that people (kids) from New Jersey will be on the ship.

I am a Jersey girl, South Jersey to be exact. I can tell you what makes us different isn't something to be afraid of. I am educated, professional and a pretty no nonesense kind of girl. We do not need a week to figure out what we are going to say and we mean what we say. For New Jersey being the butt of many jokes and stero types, I find it funny that our history is richly represented by Jerseyites.

From Thomas Edison, and we all know we needed what he was selling, to scientific greats and talented artists (singers, actors, and the like)... I would rather be on a ship with like minded people than the likes of the prejudice that would be so ignorant to think Jerseyites are almost animalistic.

One poster indicated that if you didn't want to be on a ship where kids were running wild and in and out of the windjammer, you should change your plans...Their signature block doesn't indicate any personal experience at that time of the year sailing... Very telling... You just judge based on ????

Archived