ISO: Hawaii cruise info

Love2Cruise4Less

I posted the following in another thread (not sure if it was the right one) but since this is the only thread I have followed regularly for many years and I am familiar with, and since at least two of the nine of us wish to cruise single/solo, I’ll re-post my inquiry here. Thanks for your indulgence…. :o

On and off, for several years, our family has discussed going on a family cruise. Our discussion is now “on” again and we’ve all agreed: Hawaii would be our top choice. Due to obligations, such as kids in school, we are limited to cruising ONLY in June/July.

I am a bargain hunter and, oh my gosh, Hawaii cruises are expensive! Based on what I’ve been able to find, only NCL’s Pride of America cruises Hawaii in June/July. They don’t discount their prices and single cruisers pay 200%. Therefore, there is little reason to wait 3, 6, or 9 months to book because prices are simply not gonna go down.

Do I have a pretty good grasp of the facts regarding this market? If so, any way to change the facts? LOL

There are 9 of us -- in either 3 or 4 cabins. Any money saving suggestions, tips, ideas, and/or thoughts appreciated.

I do not think anyone is over there but the NCL in residence ship. Its overpriced because its only game in town. I may be wrong though. You will see the ships relocating into the Pacific after the Alaska season closes.

I think of all the places to cruise, you have probably chosen the worst place as far as a bargain goes. Airfare alone for 9 would be crazy (unless you have a air miles)

And if you only can go in June/July, that narrows cruise choices to NCL.

Since you have limited travel times, you might be better looking for an all inclusive deal on 1 of the islands, that includes hotel/airfare, etc.

Carnival Spirit has 2 cruises coming up in Dec/2011 (RT from LA) and Apr/2012 (RT from San Diego)...too bad your time is limited to June/July....no flights to and from Hawaii involved on these 2.

• 7 months later...

We never did go on a family cruise...too many different interests, issues, etc.

Hawaii remains the one North America cruise I really want to do. Yet, as noted in my thread opener, and/all cruises I've found remain pricey -- with NO price break for single cruisers.

Just curious if anyone has ever found a good-to-great deal on Hawaii.

I'd be sailing alone, can go anytime, and would probably use FF miles for airfare.

There are reasons why the Hawaii market is so expensive. First, the port charges for Hawaii are insanely high. And second, there aren't many ships that cruise to and from Hawaii and it's a limited season to cruise there. It's usually a 14 day cruise, round trip out of LA or San Diego. Now, if you want to cruise the NCL ship that's in Hawaii permanently, I think part of the reason is they seem to employ mostly Americans, the ship is registered in the USA and therefore they have to follow US laws with regards to salary and health benefits. You don't have those things with all the other ships when they're registered in foreign countries.

We never did go on a family cruise...too many different interests, issues, etc.

Hawaii remains the one North America cruise I really want to do. Yet, as noted in my thread opener, and/all cruises I've found remain pricey -- with NO price break for single cruisers.

Just curious if anyone has ever found a good-to-great deal on Hawaii.

I'd be sailing alone, can go anytime, and would probably use FF miles for airfare.

I use FF points also for expensive trips across the ocean and went to Hawaii in April (after 9/11). It took me a while to get enough nerve to return on the flights to Europe. I took the NCL cruise for 10 days; this was a year of two before the Pride of America was introduced. I was not impressed with the cruise. Not a good way to see Hawaii and did not think the shore excursions were that good. At that time they took the ship to Fanning Island (Kirbachi) which is a 2 day trip to get there and 2 days to return. All of the passengers thought this was a waste of time, I don't know if they go there anymore. The Hawaiian ports were so commercialized; the only island I really liked was Kawaii; Maui would be second. I personally love the beaches of Destin, FL and Key West more than any others in the U.S. and love some California towns and Seattle, as well for the scenery. I can understand why people love to go to Hawaii from cold climates in the winter for the 72 degree temperature, but there are other islands in the Caribbean which are very nice (will be checking out the Southern Caribbean in April). I can't remember what I paid for the cruise and I went solo, but think it was around $1500-$1700. The cruise lines and all tourism had been hurt bad by 9/11 so I may have got a bargain that year. I don't want to discourage you; this is just my personal opinion, but I usually travel internationally every year. I just think you can probably get a better deal elsewhere and I know Hawaii has some beautiful areas that are not so commercialized (but not by the ports). Do some research on Fodor's website as well and ask a lot of questions.

I just got back from a non-cruise trip to Hawaii with extended family members. We had originally considered the NCL cruise, but gave up on that idea due to costs. (And we didn't consider the other lines sailing from the mainland because the trip would have been too long for some in our group.)

If you keep an eye on the last minute deals at the NCL website, they will occasionally list a sailing in Hawaii at a slight discount. But they almost never charge solos less than 200% (other than, perhaps, a break on taxes and port fees).

(Permit me to add: Even though NCL rarely charges solos less than 200%, their 200% fares are nevertheless often very competitive with other lines' discounted fares.)

Archived