Diamond Head Crater Summit Trek

2fercruzin

I did not do it from a cruise ship, but I have hiked up Diamond Head twice. It is fairly steep in a couple of spots, there a number of stairs, and it can even be crowded. The views are lovely. (It is a relatively short hike).:)

Not sure of the need for the ship's tour to hike Diamond Head unless there are other sites to sightsee. We took the city bus from the dock area to Diamond Head and walked up on our own. No need for a "guide" to do that. It was really neat to be up on top and have the fantastic view. We were lucky and and had blue skies with a strong wind once at the top.

Not sure of the need for the ship's tour to hike Diamond Head unless there are other sites to sightsee. We took the city bus from the dock area to Diamond Head and walked up on our own. No need for a "guide" to do that. It was really neat to be up on top and have the fantastic view. We were lucky and and had blue skies with a strong wind once at the top.

Thanks for the info that will save us a lot of money. My wife wants to know how hard the climb is? We have heard it is steep in parts and lots of steps. Do you have to be in great shape for this walk?

Thanks again

Randy

Thanks for the info that will save us a lot of money. My wife wants to know how hard the climb is? We have heard it is steep in parts and lots of steps. Do you have to be in great shape for this walk?

Thanks again

Randy

It is a bit taxing, but many folks do it. You can always turn around if it becomes to difficult for either of you. One suggestion, at the beginning there is a rangers station - they ask if you want a flashlight - by all means say yes, yes, yes. In fact if you both can grab one, do it. There are some circular stairs that are inside the mountain and it is dark, almost like the inside of a cow!

We did this a couple of years ago and it is very doable if you are in decent shape. It is steep and there are quite a lot of stairs, but it is so worth it when you get to the top. Just be sure to take water and the earlier you can get there the better. It is cooler and less crowded. We left the ship by 7:30 a.m., grabbed our rental car and went straight to Diamond Head and the parking lot was already pretty full. By the time we were headed back down it was a solid stream of people heading up.

As others said, it is steep in parts but you can take your time and rest along the way if you need to. We didn't have flashlights and had no problems going up the steps that were inside the mountain. I went to The Bus website http://www.thebus.org/ and checked out prices, bus numbers and timetables. Called them also to ask how to get from pier to bus stop that goes to Ala Moana Shopping Center - where you switch to the bus to Diamond Head. When you get off at Diamond Head, the bus driver will point out the bus stop for your return to the ship. They have a pretty good bus system that can take you all over the island. If you are considering renting a car at any of the ports , check out http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ for a car rental. We've used them three times and rates are good.

Mike and I did the climb in Sept -2005. I have no idea if there have been any changes to the route we took but I will c&p a short review of our visit.

We had all day passes to ride the Waikiki Trolley. We planned to take the blue line morning express to Diamond Head Crater. Hike to the top then continue on with the rest of the blue line tour. Then depending on the time, take the red line to see Iolani Place & The Statue of King Kamehameha. We were picked up at the Duke Kahanamoku Statue at 9:00am. It was a 20 minute ride and were dropped off inside the crater. Our driver informs us that anyone planning to continue on the with the blue line tour will need to be back at 11:20 to catch the out bound trolley.(2 hours)

We paid $1.00 per person admission at the information center and started walking. There was a coffee truck parked near the comfort station so we bought another bottle of water. We were both a little worried about the numerous flights of stairs we would encounter. Mike has asthma and can be troubled by shortness of breath climbing stairs.. We paced ourselves so I didn’t feel that it was that difficult of a climb, and its definitely not boring.

We started out on a concrete walkway. Which led us to a dirt trail with numerous switchbacks in order to make your way up the steep slope? At the end of this path was a lookout /rest area and the first set of stairs.(74) At the top of the stairs we entered a tunnel. After we exited the tunnel there was another set of stairs (99 this time) Even I was sucking wind after that set. Then another short tunnel as we entered the fire control station . More stairs, spiral this time that brought us to the top floor of the station. There was no exit door in this room. To continue our hike we climbed a few stairs then ducked as we made our way through an observation slit in one of the walls. Outside we followed a path to the last set of stairs (54) that brought us to the top.

I thought it was well worth the climb. It’s a great view but Mike & I arrived a few minutes before a squall. I was lucky and found a spot to hunker down in the observation station. Our backpack, camera and I stayed dry. Mike on the other hand got wet. Its lasted about 15minutes,then sunshine once again. Because of the rain the observation station was practically empty. We had the top almost to ourselves.

My nephew and his family just moved to Hawaii (tough life, huh!) and they all just took the hike up Diamond Head (including his 5 year old daughter and 2 year old son!). I'll try and post a few pictures he just sent of the stairs.

SAM_0504s.jpg.8ea4bd296364df4f3aefb20c1b36e359.jpg

SAM_0494s.jpg.a5401ba071ed51f839eac0c073931d08.jpg

SAM_0500s.jpg.f5f6ed716d47ec35506f92e733e571a9.jpg

My wife and I have done this hike 5 or 6 times and will do it again this October. There is some effort but if you're in reasonable shape you won't have a problem (we're both 50+ and will have no problem). The view from the top is incredible. Make sure you take water as it can be a hot dry hike.

Barry

We just did the hike. I got half the way up and turned around as the height made me dizzy. DH, who iss quite out of shape went on to the top.No problem and didn't need a flashlight. The view was great and he enjoyed it. It was quite crowded, we went at 7:30 am on a Saturday. The parking was full y the time we left at 9:20. We took a cab from our hotel as we were due to check out and get on the ship that day. We were concerned about the length of time the bus would take. The hike is not difficult and you can go as slow and as fast as you like. many people do it with small children.

The hike isn't really hard, it is just very hot and there is really no place to rest if the heat gets to you

Here are a few pix of the hike and the reward when you get to the top

The hike up

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00036.jpg

Stairs and tunnels

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00034.jpg

Almost to the top

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00007.jpg

But the rewards are truly worth it

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00021.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00016.jpg

Cheers

Len

My DH (63 and not in shape) and DD (22 and in good shape), did this hike this past May. They took water and did the trek without any problem according to them. No need for flashlights. I believe at one time you did need them, but they have lights now from what we were told. I think it took them about an hour and half to do the hike up and back. There was no way they were going to be able to do this early in the morning as frequently recommended on the forum. We ended up getting there at about 4:00 p.m. on a Wednesday afternoon in mid-May. There were no big crowds and plenty of spots to park. Although it was warm, it was not an exceptionally hot day. They had their water and really enjoyed the hike.

Did the hike this past June. Started around 11 so it was a little warm but coming from Houston it was like a spring day. I'm 58 and in fairly good shape. Took about 30 minutes going up. Just pace yourself and you shouldn't have any problems. Do take water along. No flashlights needed. There are a couple of spots along the way that you can rest. The path is rocky and uneven so watch your step. Wear comfortable, sturdy shoes. The views are outstanding.

Have fun.

Thank you all for your posts of encouragement, pictures and advise. My DH is definately planning the climb. I do not have a lot of leg strength, but now I am convinced I just need to go for it, pace myself and reward myself with the most awesome view at the top.

Thanks again to all who posted! :)

The hike isn't really hard, it is just very hot and there is really no place to rest if the heat gets to you

Here are a few pix of the hike and the reward when you get to the top

The hike up

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00036.jpg

Stairs and tunnels

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00034.jpg

Almost to the top

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00007.jpg

But the rewards are truly worth it

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00021.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/Hawaii/Dsc00016.jpg

Cheers

Len

Fab photos - thanks for sharing - what time of year was this - we are going in Nov. We have been 3 times to Hawaii already and never done it - this time I WILL!!!

2fercruzin I say go for it. I haven't done it yet (will be there in Mar) but I plan to do it myself. I'm very overweight but exercise regularly so I'm able to do more than it appears I could. Several years ago, after only exercising for about 1 yr, I went on a hike up a mtn in the Grand Tetons. I had DH & DD go ahead and I went at my own pace. I was able to stop & rest when needed but forged on. I was sooooo proud of myself when I got to the lookout point. I just knew I had to go at my pace and I was much more comfortable doing it by myself rather than holding up DH & DD. I let others pass so I didn't hold them up as well. Although I hope to be a little smaller and in better shape by the time this trip comes around I have every intention of conquering this mtn. Enjoy!

Does anybody know approximately how long (miles) this hike is?

Fab photos - thanks for sharing - what time of year was this - we are going in Nov. We have been 3 times to Hawaii already and never done it - this time I WILL!!!

Thanks for the nice comments Helen. We were there mid August, but temp wise, Hawaii is pretty constant thru most of the year. We started about 9AM, and when we got to the top, my shirt was soaking wet. (I am a cold weather climate person :)). The humidity is what gets to you, and, as the sun heats things up as the day goes on, it won't get any better.

It is fun though, and, as the last poster said, just go at your own pace, there is no rush.

PS Be sure to get you official "I made it to the top of Diamond Head award certificate, before you start down. (It is only a couple of dollars)

Cheers

Len

2fercruzin I say go for it. I haven't done it yet (will be there in Mar) but I plan to do it myself. I'm very overweight but exercise regularly so I'm able to do more than it appears I could. Several years ago, after only exercising for about 1 yr, I went on a hike up a mtn in the Grand Tetons. I had DH & DD go ahead and I went at my own pace. I was able to stop & rest when needed but forged on. I was sooooo proud of myself when I got to the lookout point. I just knew I had to go at my pace and I was much more comfortable doing it by myself rather than holding up DH & DD. I let others pass so I didn't hold them up as well. Although I hope to be a little smaller and in better shape by the time this trip comes around I have every intention of conquering this mtn. Enjoy!

Does anybody know approximately how long (miles) this hike is?

Thanks for the encouragement GypRasc, I am definately going to do this with my DH. I just looked on our personalizer and the description say round trip is approx. 1.5 miles with a 561 ft. elevation gain. That ought to knock off a calorie or two :eek: I am continuing to do my daily walking and am looking for stairs to climb too. Thanks again, Patti

Thanks for the nice comments Helen. We were there mid August, but temp wise, Hawaii is pretty constant thru most of the year. We started about 9AM, and when we got to the top, my shirt was soaking wet. (I am a cold weather climate person :)). The humidity is what gets to you, and, as the sun heats things up as the day goes on, it won't get any better.

It is fun though, and, as the last poster said, just go at your own pace, there is no rush.

PS Be sure to get you official "I made it to the top of Diamond Head award certificate, before you start down. (It is only a couple of dollars)

Cheers

Len

Great pix Len, thanks. Hopefully it'll be a little cooler at Christmas, but Hawaii is pretty warm all year, so I guess I'll just sweat. Not too ladylike, but honest :D When I got done ziplining in Mazatlan in May I looked like they had run me through a car wash. :eek:

Thanks for the heads up about the certificate, a nice touch. I'll frame that puppy! Is there a kiosk, or a touristy shop up there??

Thanks again, Patti

Few Pics from our hike.

picture424u.jpg

picture429j.jpg

picture436h.jpg

picture421.jpg

picture420v.jpg

picture413.jpg

Very informative Kcarp, thanks! I'll just pretend that all those steps are taking me upstairs to the Horizon Court - right? Actually better than HC, the view is amazing.

Thanks again,

Patti

Very informative Kcarp, thanks! I'll just pretend that all those steps are taking me upstairs to the Horizon Court - right? Actually better than HC, the view is amazing.

Thanks again,

Patti

It's not a bad hike, just take your time. We were there Oct./Nov. on our trip and went in the morning, not to hot. Have a great trip.

Archived