Things I wish I had known about Prince Albert ll and our arctic cruise.

retiredbrit

Things I wish I had known about Prince Albert ll and our arctic cruise.

We have just returned from a Longyearbyen to Tromso sailing June 29. A really excellent experience and I will do a review later. There were a few things I wish I had known – all are based on our arctic cruise – I expect an Antarctic voyage would be different

I was concerned about the supply of rubber boots on board as we didn’t want to carry boots from UK considering the small luggage allowance. We needn’t have worried – we were called to reception a deck at a time where the expedition staff dashed backwards and forwards with boots, most people tried several different sizes to get a good fit with thick socks on. There seemed to be an unlimited (almost) supply of boots and to me they all seemed in good nearly new condition

Over trousers – I wondered if my walking (hiking) over trousers would be good enough on our voyage; they were not expensive and can be bought for between £20 to £50 at any walking shop in the UK. We didn’t need heavy insulated over-trousers. You could get splashed in the zodiacs as you are sitting on the edge of it, and of course where you are sitting is wet before you start.

Walking poles – should we take them – we did and found them very useful – in fact we took two each.

Wondered about the zodiacs – Joyce was apprehensive before we went – but after the first zodiac cruise she couldn’t get enough. The crew are very good at getting you in and out – the craft are very stable and the drivers are experts.

Wondered about wet landings – again the crew are experts at this – its not a matter of wading ashore in deep water – we had 4 or 5 inches at the most – the crew position a step in the water if needed.

Joyce wore her hiking boots but only on the dry landings, there was not time to change from wellies to boots as it would have delayed your group. Boots could be useful on dry landings but certainly not essential. If however you do the hike up the mountain to North Cape it looked to me (from on board) that boots and poles would be very desirable. It looked very steep.

Prince Albert is a very informal ship, on the casual nights very few men wore a jacket and even fewer wore a tie. I made the mistake of thinking that with the Silversea style that jackets would be worn, I took two jackets but one would have adequate. On the three elegant casual nights most men wore jackets without a tie, a few didn’t wear a jacket at all and one or two wore sweaters. Most ladies dressed skirts, tops or trousers but no long dresses were seen.

I am glad I took layers – ie light fleece tops, thermals etc, gloves and a scarf were necessary and a woolly hat.

We ordered our Parkas and they were waiting for us, this is the time to ensure you can move with your layers and the Parka – do have a dress rehearsal and try it over ALL your layers – your butler will bring different sizes to try and on about day 2 or 3 they announced “last chance to change your parka” The Parka’s are very good and with layers I was never cold – but don’t have one that is a tight fit

Silversea said they supplied one rucksack (back pack) per suite, so I took my own with me. There were two rucksacks waiting in our cabin so I needn’t have bothered

Silversea provide a water resistant rucksack for each person which is adequate. I took a large plastic bag which I put inside the rucksack.

The rucksack is ideal to carry your parka home on the plane, my parka is XXL and it rolled up and fitted well – much easier than carrying it.

I wish I had taken a light monopod for my camera – many of the animals are quite a way away and I took many photos at full zoom (18X) In any event I rested my camera on the top of my walking pole but a monopod would have been better.

The photographer produce a very good video of the voyage, most people bought a copy, but I didn’t, there was a final preview the last evening when the full thing was shown and I am glad I didn’t buy one to me £100 is too much. It last about 50 minutes – which is too long to bore your friends with. Like many travellers we have a number of videos of places we have visited and we found we only looked at them once.

I much prefer to take lots of pictures which are personal. My advice is not to rush and order until you have seen the final article, don’t get carried away because you seem to be the only person who has not ordered one.

You can ask your Butler to get you what you want in your fridge – we had a bottle of Baileys.

For Brits we found we had to ask that they used boiling water for our tea at breakfast and room service – but after the first time they remembered and it was perfect.

After the zodiacs – ask for room service hot chocolate – that goes down well and you can tip some of your Baileys in to give it body.

If its your first time on Silversea you will find that unlike many other cruise lines – you only have to ask and it appears almost instantly. The service is excellent – a great cruise

regards Alan and Joyce UK

Thanks Alan - a great post and very timely for us as we leave for our trip to Longyearbyen in 12 days time ! That is good news about the boot situation and you gave us some great tips - especially as I like my morning cuppa tea !

I have bought trekking poles as I found in Alaska that I am not too good at walking in rubber boots and I fell over a couple of times ! so the poles I think will be a good idea.

So a couple of questions -

Did you find it extremely cold when out in the zodiacs ? What was the wind chill factor like ?

And on board in the public areas like the restaurant and lounge are they heated - did you need a thermal layer or will a sweater be enough ??

thanks

Ann

PS - I have ordered a bottle of Baileys for our room :D

Hi Ann

certainly not cold "inside" I only wore a long sleeved shirt. Some people had a light sweater as well.

In the zodiacs - difficult to say I am sure it varies voyage by voyage - depends on local conditions. If it is raining it could be different. I was never really cold nor was joyce who is a chilly mortal. The secret is in the layers, take plenty and use according to conditions ie more or less than you wore yesterday

I wore two pairs of socks, thermal long johns, fairly thick walking trousers (which I wear all year in the UK) they are not insulated type. sometimes a thermal vest, shirt, a fleece style high neck layer, waterproof overtrousers (not insulated) and the parka. Sometimes a scarf, a wooly hat or a baseball cap. If cold or windy the parka hood is good and the coat zips up to cover mouth and nose. Gloves of course and fingerless mittens for photography

regards Alan

It took a long time to kit up - and you need to have enough room in the parka. I varied the layers to suit conditions

Hi Ann

certainly not cold "inside" I only wore a long sleeved shirt. Some people had a light sweater as well.

In the zodiacs - difficult to say I am sure it varies voyage by voyage - depends on local conditions. If it is raining it could be different. I was never really cold nor was joyce who is a chilly mortal. The secret is in the layers, take plenty and use according to conditions ie more or less than you wore yesterday

I wore two pairs of socks, thermal long johns, fairly thick walking trousers (which I wear all year in the UK) they are not insulated type. sometimes a thermal vest, shirt, a fleece style high neck layer, waterproof overtrousers (not insulated) and the parka. Sometimes a scarf, a wooly hat or a baseball cap. If cold or windy the parka hood is good and the coat zips up to cover mouth and nose. Gloves of course and fingerless mittens for photography

regards Alan

It took a long time to kit up - and you need to have enough room in the parka. I varied the layers to suit conditions

Layers were the key. We ran into some warm weather - 60 degrees and bright sun the next to the last full day! People were on the aft sun deck (some in shirt sleeves) drinking cold drinks (me included!). Alan is also right about the time taken to get ready. You will be far too warm if you wear the outside gear inside to breakfast for instance, so make sure you allow for that. What we took (mid-weight fleece in addition to thermals, rain pants, etc.) made for some 3 shower days. Oh well, live and learn.

One more favorite thing - except for a sailboat at Lagoya, we did not see another ship. It made us feel that we had all that wonderful scenery and incredible wildlife to ourselves.

I was never really cold nor was joyce who is a chilly mortal.

Thanks Alan,

I must be like Joyce, but the trouble is we live in the sub tropics so if it gets colder than 20C (68F) I need a cardi !! :o

so once again Alan and Mike thanks for all your help.

Ann

Archived