Teeth Whitening on Ship?

beehee124

One of my tablemates had the teeth whitening done last cruise. She was pleased with both the price and the look. However, she wasn't happy with the fact that she couldn't have any red wine or coffee for two full days.

I remember they were advertising a reduced rate for a couple of days. Still seemed high to me.

The Crest Whitestrips are your best bet - that is what you should try before shelling out $ on the ship for it... basically EVERYTHING you buy on the ship costs MORE than it would otherwise (except bottles of alcohol - not sure about the cigarettes, being a non-smoker).

Some dental offices also sell an "Rx" strength Crest Whitestrip product - still for less than conventional bleaching trays...(and less than the Carnival treatment).

Keep in mind that, when bleaching, you MAY have temp sensitivity - I would NOT want to have sensitive teeth while trying to enjoy cold libations!:D

Tom

My Dh is a dentist. It is illegal to dispense the same strength whitener that we use in our office without a dentist present. I would guess that they are using a bleach that is not as strong, ie similar to Crest white strips, that you can buy over the counter for alot less. We tell patients that getting the Crest Whitestrips over the counter vs the bleach we can give them is like getting Tylenol for pain vs Vicodin for pain. One is a prescription and the other is not. Both will work, but not the same. I would guess that the price they are charging is probably in line with the other prices they charge for other services.

I would not do this procedure unless it is administered by a dentist.

I asked my daughter how much she paid and she didn't remember. I do know it was way more than $199.00 - I personally wouldn't do it - you never know what reaction you could have. Enjoy your vacation and get it done when you come back. My 15 year old used the Crest strips and they really did a pretty nice job. Of course he is young and they weren't too discolored - but he did need it.

My Dh is a dentist. It is illegal to dispense the same strength whitener that we use in our office without a dentist present. I would guess that they are using a bleach that is not as strong, ie similar to Crest white strips, that you can buy over the counter for alot less. We tell patients that getting the Crest Whitestrips over the counter vs the bleach we can give them is like getting Tylenol for pain vs Vicodin for pain. One is a prescription and the other is not. Both will work, but not the same. I would guess that the price they are charging is probably in line with the other prices they charge for other services.

I would not do this procedure unless it is administered by a dentist.

Agree with this statement 100% I view it as a waste of money on the cruise ship. Its bad enough that you can't have coffee and wine for two days!!!

Having a dentists whiten your teeth is great when your teeth are really bad...if it's just normal whitening you need because your teeth are slightly stained from coffee/age/smoking whatever...the white strips work like magic. My dentist & hygienist reccomend them. The Tylenol/Vicodin analogy is good because remember, a normal headache doesn't call for Vicodin and normal staining does not call for hundreds of dollars spent at the dentist when you can use Crest for $25 (with $5 to $7 off if you clip Sunday coupons!!!! :D )

Archived