Newbie with tipping question

Bubbles3

Well we've just booked our trip for August 2011. It's been many years since our first and only cruise in 1988 and I'm sure lots of things have changed.

Apologies if this is a daft question :o ....

We will have pre-paid gratuities and will tip a couple of $$ for room service. I've noticed mention that if you have drinks - is that alcoholic and soft drinks?- that the slip will have 15% tip on it. Is that tip over and above the pre-paid gratuities.

Also at dinner - we don't tip our waiter but can if we feel the service is exceptional?

It's all going to take some getting used to and I know I'll feel embarassed not leaving a 'cash' tip!

The pre paid gratuities do not include tips for beverages. These are added automatically to every beverage purchase (Soft drinks, beer, wine, cocktails, soda card, etc). The rate for these is 15%.

If someone has gone out of their way to serve you and you wish to give them extra, that is certainly allowed.

Well we've just booked our trip for August 2011. It's been many years since our first and only cruise in 1988 and I'm sure lots of things have changed.

Apologies if this is a daft question :o ....

We will have pre-paid gratuities and will tip a couple of $$ for room service. I've noticed mention that if you have drinks - is that alcoholic and soft drinks?- that the slip will have 15% tip on it. Is that tip over and above the pre-paid gratuities.

Yes, alcohol, soft drinks, some specialty coffess -- all will have an added 15% gratuity added on to it. The bar tenders and bar staff are not part of the tipping pool, and not included in the pre-paid gratuities.

Also at dinner - we don't tip our waiter but can if we feel the service is exceptional?

You don't need to tip the waiter -- they are included in the pre-paid gratuities (as well as the assistant waiters; and these folks are the ones that you'll see rotating in to serve at the buffet, and some of the other dining venues on board, and at breakfast and lunch, not just dinner!)

Of course if you get exceptional service, (or feel particularly generous!) you can tip additionally, if you wish!

It's all going to take some getting used to and I know I'll feel embarassed not leaving a 'cash' tip!

No need to feel embarrassed at all. Actually the servers I've talked to like the automated tipping systems (either pre-paid, or charged to your account to be paid at the end of the cruise) as they actually get tips, not "promises" from passengers, who then "forget", or claim they "can't find them", at the end. So it works for them, and is much more convenient for the passenger, I think!

The suggested tips cover your room attendant, waiter , ass't waiter and head waiter. Alcohol/soda (any drink you buy) will have the tip added into the price.

If you want to tip someone more than what you already have, it's customary to do it on the last evening...not at time of service.

Room service is the only thing you tip at time of service.

If you pre-pay tips, those folks will know it. no need to feel weird not tipping additionally.

Specialty restaurant fees include the tip.

By the way, don't forget that even if you don't eat in the dining room you are serviced by the staff. I know a lot of folks say, well I didn't eat in the dining room I ate on deck or the buffet casual dining. Remember, these buffets including breakfast, lunch and dinner are serviced by these staff. Your tip covers all of the service you receive.

Enjoy your trip.

When we were on the Monarch , I tried to tip the server that got a table cleared for us and he wouldn't take it. I forget now but there was one other instance that a tip was refused....have to ask the better half, she stores half my memory for me, lol anyhow has this ever happened to anyone else? I suppose maybe certain staffers are not to accept tips??

Archived