TBD or GTY??

fleckle

Sometimes guarantee cabins are listed as TBD (to be determined) and sometimes as GTY and sometimes both.

For example, category W (suite guarantee) for the Millennium on 9/10/10 currently shows both

TBD - 1499

and

GTY - 1499

What is the difference and what would be the advantage to choosing one vs. the other?

TIA to anyone who can explain this.

Price may differ. You still will not know what cabin you are assigned to until Celebrity decides to tell you. It may be quick or take months. You are at their mercy. They can assign and unassign cabins right up until you sail. If you are okay with that arrangement, book the less expensive rate and relax. You will save money, have a cabin in that cat. or higher, and have more chance of getting an upgrade than an assigned cabin. Think of it as getting a good rate in a hotel. You usually don't know what room you will be given in a hotel until you check in. If a TBD or GTY are available, I'll book them. I am not fussy about location on a ship. I try to book the lowest veranda category available and let the cabin assignment come later. Most times, you get the category selected. Some people have gotten upgrades. My daughter got a 9 category upgrade on the Zenith. Lucky for her. It could happen to you.

TBD tends to have different restrictions with adding airfare than GTY does. I would always prefer a GTY if both options were available but TBD is often significantly less expensive.
Thanks for explaining the difference, Susie. For some cruises they only list one or the other, but sometimes (as in the case I cited above) they show both and in this case they are both the exact same price, $1499.

So the only difference between them is in airfare restrictions?

It seems strange that they don't even mention it. Searching TBD and GTY on their website was of no help at all.

Archived