special tipping

aburnett

I read somewhere on this site about "fun" tips where it was suggested that you could wrap a dollar or Euro around a candy bar to give to those on board. I can't find that post now but if you have done something like this, would you re-post. Do you use Euros on board or dollars? Who might you give these "fun" tips to? Thanks-- thought it was a cute idea. Who doesn't like candy??

:D

You can do what ever you want but bottom line they really like that US greenback in an envelope with perhaps a note of thanks. The US dollar is something that they can spend anywhere. And before you throw rocks at me...I am Canadian.

Honestly, the only extra thing the staff want is cash. "Cash is king". They have very tight quarters and do not have room for trinkets and knick-knacks, and although they may appreciate the candy, again, it's probably not something they desire. They have their own commissary where they can buy candy if they want to.

Not trying to discourage you, but this has been discussed many times before. They just want to be paid in cash because many of them send money home to support their families.

We took some boxed (small boxes) of Sees Candy (popular candy made in California) on a cruise. Initially took it to enjoy in our cabin. Decided to give a box to our waiter mid way through the cruise. Was a big hit, so much so that we went and bought another box in port, for the asistant waiter. Of course we tipped liked we always do, so they got US cash too.

So folks who say folks don't like this or that maybe surprised.

We often take nice ties to give to the Matre'd and Head Waiter, in addition to cash.

My husband is from Europe, he always travels with small gifts for folks at hotels, airports and on airlines. I have found that people love being surprised with something they were not expecting. We have done this all over the world, on cruise ships and on flights for years. It makes traveling a lot more pleasant when you can connect with folks along the way.

Sometimes when we are in port we buy some bakery items and we share these with our room steward and diningroom staff. Once again, folks like having something they can't get on board ship. We love getting bakery items when we are cruising in the Mediterranean. Don't care much for the desserts on ships, mostly creams and puddings, very little cake.

We have taken a few longer cruises that gave us the chance to know some of the crew. Crew members have to buy snacks / beer / liquor on board -- so they appreciate these items and they share it among themselves. We do give these items in addition to any extra cash tips. We got to know a few security crew who were always at the gangway and got them some candy from a port call and they were totally surprised! No -- we were not bribing them to allow us to smuggle liquor!

We took some boxed (small boxes) of Sees Candy (popular candy made in California) on a cruise.

Interesting comment. Seriously, we will take some some small gift cards with us on the next cruise and attach it if we give something.

Be very careful about giving ship's employees any sort of things be they ties, candy or anything other than cash.

They can be accused of stealing! I'm not kidding!

Archived