Need hotel --Ruby Princess arriving in Venice 9/14

barbierahrah

Staying near St Mark's Square will mean you probably need a water taxi - expect to pay a standard $100 euro. If you stay near Piazzale Roma you can take a land taxi. As stated above, your hotel will have info for you.

Taking a water taxi means a 7 to 9 minute uphill walk dragging your luggage behind you to get to the actual AP so if anyone struggles with walking that may be an issue. I have seen some say you may be able to arrange for help up but that early in the morning, not sure what is and isn't available.

How do we depart the ship, get a hotel, have time to sightsee and get to our plane that leaves at 7AM the next morning? Is there transportation from hotels in Venice to airport that leave that early?? Any ideas?

If you search these boards, you will see that many people suggest you leave your luggage at Piazzal Roma, tour venice all day and then go to the Marriott at the airport for the night. It is 5 minutes from the airport. You get to P. Roma from the port by people mover tram. You get to the Marriott from P. Roma by land taxi. While in Venice take the no 1 Vaporetto for a cruise up the Grand Canal. Get a guidebook to enjoy your visit. also check out

http://www.veniceforvisitors.com

Hi..

A few days before your arrival in Venice, Princess will collect information on your disembarkation plans..If your plans include a stay in Venice, they offer luggage transfer for a nominal fee to your hotel..I found this service very convienent..After going throught immigration, you'll collect your luggage and drop it off at a pre-designated location..in the same building..then you can take the ferry to St Mark's..Your luggage will be waiting for you at the hotel..Cost..$10..

I spent 2 additional days in Venice and took the bus from Piazza Roma to the airport..Cost..1€..this was in 2007..

Carol

Hi..

A few days before your arrival in Venice, Princess will collect information on your disembarkation plans..If your plans include a stay in Venice, they offer luggage transfer for a nominal fee to your hotel..I found this service very convienent..After going throught immigration, you'll collect your luggage and drop it off at a pre-designated location..in the same building..then you can take the ferry to St Mark's..Your luggage will be waiting for you at the hotel..Cost..$10..

I spent 2 additional days in Venice and took the bus from Piazza Roma to the airport..Cost..1€..this was in 2007..

Carol

Inflation at work. This option thru Princess transfer now costs $39 p/p. Just did it about 7 weeks ago on the Ruby. Also stayed an extra 2 days -Not sure they deliver to any and all hotels. The sheet we were provided only had a handful of St Mark's hotels and a handful over by the train station. I think the hotel has to have it's own private water landing. I stayed at Colombina Hotel which I loved and had grabbed a great rate (but it was understood that it was nonrefundable under any and all circumstances). I will admit that I loved being able to get off the ship unencumbered and by check in time my luggage had already been delivered.

But because I was in a St Mark's location, unless I was willing to drag luggage in the heat, (I wasn't) I broke down and paid the $100 euro for a water taxi to AP.

Wow...inflation indeed...Glad we won't be disembarking in Venice but will spend 2 days as part of our B2B..

Guess I should have mentioned the need for water access to a particular hotel..I stayed at the Canal Fulton near Piazza Roma/Train Station..funky hotel..old, odd but I had a room over looking the Grand Canal..The luggage delivery service was great and took a big load off me as I'm a chronic over packer..currently in rehab..our next trip..Sept '10 will be a test of my resolve to depart with under weight bags..:eek: What a novel idea???

Carol

Wow...inflation indeed...Glad we won't be disembarking in Venice but will spend 2 days as part of our B2B..

Guess I should have mentioned the need for water access to a particular hotel..I stayed at the Canal Fulton near Piazza Roma/Train Station..funky hotel..old, odd but I had a room over looking the Grand Canal..The luggage delivery service was great and took a big load off me as I'm a chronic over packer..currently in rehab..our next trip..Sept '10 will be a test of my resolve to depart with under weight bags..:eek: What a novel idea???

Carol

Hated flying out of Venice anyway. I absolutely loved Venice but should I ever get back, no Venice AP for me. We arrived 2.5 hours early for our flight. Opened the door to the AP and wall to wall people and total chaos. NEVER again. Two hours to get from the point we were in line to the front of the line and that was to check my lousy one piece of luggage. Should Venice be in my future again, I'll train someplace I want to see for a day or two use that AP elsewhere. Venice AP was way too small for the number of passengers and there's not enough space for the airlines to have more than a few employees attempting to check in people. LOTS of unhappy tired hot people complaining, to no avail.

We did this last year pre-people mover. We got off the boat and took the bus to P.roma. There we bought the day pass for public trans that includes the local bus and vaporetti. We hopped on the local bus to the airport ( it had luggage racks onboard)and got off at the Marriott Courtyard. It's one stop before the airport and if you miss it the bus circles back. Checked in, then took the bus back to P.Roma. Started our day from there in Venice before 10am!! We spend a full day exploring, had a wonderful time, a great meal really really off the beaten path and took a (empty!!)vaporetto back down the entire length of the Grand Canal after dark. At P.roma we caught the bus back to the Marriott. At 5am the next morning we were on the first free shuttle to the airport. It was chaos from there on ( as previously mentioned in another post) but we made our 7am flight!

How do we depart the ship, get a hotel, have time to sightsee and get to our plane that leaves at 7AM the next morning? Is there transportation from hotels in Venice to airport that leave that early?? Any ideas?

We just returned last week from our cruise. We took the latest disembarkation time (9:30-9:45); we collected our luggage and then walked over to the people mover...the line up for the taxi's was at least 30 people deep (2 ships were there at the same time). There was a little bit of a lineup at the people mover, but we were in Pl Roma by 10:15. The people mover was 1E/person. I think that you need to have euro's here, I don't recall seeing a spot to use either a credit card or a debit card. It was very easy to use. You just insert the money in the machine at the entrance, and select the number of tickets that you want. You take the ticket, and walk over to the entrance. You scan the bar code into the reader, and the gates open up allowing you to walk through with your luggage. We had a hotel booked for 1 night pre-cruise by pl Roma, so we had our luggage stored there and were back in Venice for our final day of sightseeing by 10:30.

We took the ATVO bus direct to the airport the next day (the one that costs 3E apiece with the luggage spot under the bus). The earliest that it leaves is 5am, so you might want to pre book a land taxi to take you to the airport instead.

Archived