Driving directions to Cape Liberty

sgk2000

I will let one of the pro's answer this more specifically....however....I just stayed there last month and we mapquested the directions from the Sheraton to the Port and it was dead on. Do NOT rely on a GPS!

GPS has proved to be unreliable in the area. Be sure to take the directions to get to the hotel off the web and print out a map of the area and mapquest directions as well. Someone complained recently that they could see the hotel, but couldn't get to it. I bet they had an address and GPS, but no directions and map.

Take a close look at the map. If you are coming from I80 onto the turnpike, you are given a choice of following the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel or to the Meadowlands and points south. This is because the turnpike splits here into a western and eastern spur. These spurs rejoin between exits 14 and 15. My guess is that to get to the Sheraton, you have to be on the western spur, but please check that.

It was from this board that I was told to TURN LEFT into the port...the GPS kept telling us to go right :D . With all the problems we had with the turnpike and the GPS getting to the hotel I had my husband get on mapquest and wrote out the directions to the port. They were perfect!

The turnpike exit is very wide and somewhat confusing because all the signs are buried in different places. You go straight ahead up onto a ramp that curves left. Stay to the right and bear right until you see the traffic light where you make a left onto route 440. Stay left and make the next left onto Port Terminal Blvd. Once you are on 440 south, if the left turn into the port is backed up, make a right at the light either into a small shopping plaza (??) or the street. Turn the car around and come back through the light to cross 440 into the terminal area.

shoot, i KNOW where i am going up there, used the GPS to see what it said (i was around EWR)...that thing is about to get tossed into the trash.

HOWEVER, it DID get me to my hotel in DC a week ago withOUT getting me lost...go figure..........

• 3 years later...
The turnpike exit is very wide and somewhat confusing because all the signs are buried in different places. You go straight ahead up onto a ramp that curves left. Stay to the right and bear right until you see the traffic light where you make a left onto route 440. Stay left and make the next left onto Port Terminal Blvd. Once you are on 440 south, if the left turn into the port is backed up, make a right at the light either into a small shopping plaza (??) or the street. Turn the car around and come back through the light to cross 440 into the terminal area.

Hey, Carol! In a week, we'll be heading out on the Explorer. WOO-HOO! I wish I were going on those B2B cruises that you are going on, TOO.

Does that left turn still exist getting off of 440 into the port? We were there in July 2013 for a preview of the ship that my son's fiance arranged. I can't recall if that turn was still available. We enterred from the other direction, tho, as they got their marriage licenses in Bayonne's city hall.

Archived