Using cell phones on NCL

NDRB

How does the Verizon cell phone service work while out at sea in Hawaii? is it true that any cell phone is going to pick up the NCL tower and that you wil be charged a $2.49/minute rate unless you are well away from the ship?

Nina

We used our Verizon phones all over the islands and on the ship while in port with no problems or extra charges. There were times at sea between ports that we did not have service. Others have said the POA doesn't have a tower and I think that they are correct.

Ed

We used our Verizon phones all over the islands and on the ship while in port with no problems or extra charges. There were times at sea between ports that we did not have service. Others have said the POA doesn't have a tower and I think that they are correct.

Ed

Ditto - we were on the May 22 cruise.

There is no cell tower on PoA. I know this to be true.

Any signal you get onboard will be from a tower on one of the islands. If you have nationwide roaming, you're covered in Hawaii. You will not get a signal at all when the ship is too far from land to pick up a signal from the towers there. Be sure to turn off your phone when this happens because otherwise it is constantly searching for a signal and drains the battery fast.

beachchick

Be sure to turn off your phone when this happens because otherwise it is constantly searching for a signal and drains the battery fast.

beachchick

Good point, or have it charging. I used my phone as an alarm, but was not awakened by it one morning because the battery went dead. :eek: Fortunately we had arranged for a wake up call also.

• 4 weeks later...

My Nokia (old school style) cell phone's alarm feature still works even when the phone is turned off. I love using it as a backup alarm in case of power interruption. Since it is off, I won't be disturbed by unwanted phone calls in the middle of the night.

POA is a port intensive cruise.

You are in port every day, and at sail at night, or late in the afternoon.

To minimize battery drain, we simply switch to "airplane" mode each day at sail away, and back off in the morning as we aproach port.

(That keeps the phone from constantly "searching" for a signal.)

Even if we forget though, newer phone's batteries will last quite awhile, even in search mode.

If you get a signal, you should be fine.

Good point, or have it charging. I used my phone as an alarm, but was not awakened by it one morning because the battery went dead. :eek: Fortunately we had arranged for a wake up call also.

Most phones have an "Airplane mode" which turns off the radio but retains all the applications like the alarm clock.

Be aware that some phones only get their clock values from the cell tower so once out of range they can't tell time and are not good alarm clocks.

Archived