Handicap Villa is only one room

ascatsob

No I can't speak for all wheelchair users. So please speak up. I can't be the only one on here defending handicapped issues!

I believe I can speak for most (obviously not all) disabled when I say we are mostly concerned about accessibility issues.

NCL shouldn't have made this suite the same size as the others. They needed to make it larger so it could also have real walls. As always cruise lines are trying to cut corners and save money.

The main thing I am trying to say is able bodied cruisers shouldn't be booking handicapped cabins regardless of it being a suite or having curtains. In that I hope I can say I am speaking for all wheelchair users.

I am defending handicapped issues too! I have said that someone who isn't handicapped shall not book a HC cabin and I have also said that if the only way to make the Courtyard Villa accessible for someone using a wheelchair is to skip the walls, skip the walls!

I just say that don't advertise it as a two bedroom suite with two luxurious bathrooms if it is just one big room.

I agree with you that NCL shouldn't have made this suite the same size as the others.

I understand that many need the extra "bedroom" but maybe they should skip the second "bedroom" and change it to a 2 bed Courtyard Penthouse with walls instead?

I am defending handicapped issues too! I have said that someone who isn't handicapped shall not book a HC cabin and I have also said that if the only way to make the Courtyard Villa accessible for someone using a wheelchair is to skip the walls, skip the walls!

I just say that don't advertise it as a two bedroom suite with two luxurious bathrooms if it is just one big room.

I agree with you that NCL shouldn't have made this suite the same size as the others.

I understand that many need the extra "bedroom" but maybe they should skip the second "bedroom" and change it to a 2 bed Courtyard Penthouse with walls instead?

I had no idea that NCL offended the geneal public by not clearing marketing HC rooms, but also the issue that the Handicapped Community has with booking HC rooms. Thanks for the post.

Edited by GigCrusier

I think it all boils down to the fact that this HC stateroom is the same size as a 'normal' one. As apparently it's not possible to just widen the doors there was no alternative but to remove the walls.

There were no separating walls...the bathroom was separated by a curtain as well as the second bedroom. In other words...no interior walls and I don't believe their was a bathtub...only a shower.

No door to the bathroom??? I can not believe what I'm reading here. Only a curtain separating the bathroom from the rest of the living space??? No, this can not be. Please, tell me this is not the way it is.

I don't really know if they did this to all handicap rooms. I only saw the CV handicap room. Come to think of it they wouldn't need to do this to all the rooms 'cause they are already like this! aren't they???? Duhh to me!

What do you mean, "they are already like this"??? Standard rooms have no door to the bathrooms??? You are joking, right???

What do you mean, "they are already like this"??? Standard rooms have no door to the bathrooms??? You are joking, right???

I think you are referring to the toilet. I was talking about a seperate room (toilet, sink, shower). The villas have seperate bathrooms that encompass the toilet, sink and shower. The regular rooms have the facilities in the room with a door to go into the shower and into the toilet. The sink however, is in the room.

My TA has a floorplan of the accessible villa which looks like it's a construction floorplan because it doesn't show beds, etc. However it shows that the bathroom is on the backwall opposite the window where it is in a standard villa. Basically when you walk in the door, it's to your immediate right (where the 2nd bedroom would be but it's a bigger room). It's an enclosed bathroom with the toilet, roll-in shower, and standard tub. There is only one sink and it's outside the bathroom along the wall.

No other details showing how any furniture is placed but it does clearly show that there are no other interior walls besides the bathroom. I'm curious what is in the space next to the outside window where the bathroom would normally be. Hopefully someone on one of the upcoming cruises can get a picture, it will be interesting to see.

Can't vouch for the accuracy of the floorplan but my TA got it from NCL.

I think you are referring to the toilet. I was talking about a seperate room (toilet, sink, shower). The villas have seperate bathrooms that encompass the toilet, sink and shower. The regular rooms have the facilities in the room with a door to go into the shower and into the toilet. The sink however, is in the room.

It's nice to know standard cabins do have a door to the toilet room. Come to think of it, I've seen photos of this so I don't know why I got so concerned.

Having said that however, the handicap CV is only one room, including the bahroom??? Is there no door at all separating the bathroom(s) from the rest of the living space in this villa???

My TA has a floorplan of the accessible villa ........... Basically when you walk in the door, it's to your immediate right (where the 2nd bedroom would be but it's a bigger room). It's an enclosed bathroom with the toilet, roll-in shower, and standard tub. There is only one sink and it's outside the bathroom along the wall.

Having said that however, the handicap CV is only one room, including the bahroom??? Is there no door at all separating the bathroom(s) from the rest of the living space in this villa???

Why do you continue to believe there is no bathroom walls in the Villa. ? ;)

Edited by time2cruise1

Why do you continue to believe there is no bathroom walls in the Villa. ? ;)

Because.... I asked NCL Corporate Offices if what I read here was true that the Handicap Villa on the Epic was really one large room with a curtain divider. They said the informtion I read here was correct. I still am looking forward to someone sharing a picture of the room so we all can see it for our own eyes.

Because.... I asked NCL Corporate Offices if what I read here was true that the Handicap Villa on the Epic was really one large room with a curtain divider. They said the informtion I read here was correct. I still am looking forward to someone sharing a picture of the room so we all can see it for our own eyes.

I understand the open floorplan with no separate second bedroom, living room and with curtains like an AD/AC on the Jewel class ships but NCL also provided a floorplan document with this open space but with walls around the bathroom with roll in shower, toilet , and tub. :cool:

I understand the open floorplan with no separate second bedroom, living room and with curtains like an AD/AC on the Jewel class ships but NCL also provided a floorplan document with this open space but with walls around the bathroom with roll in shower, toilet , and tub. :cool:

They may have provided it to you but when I was originally booked in this room, I was told it was the same exact configuration as the other villas but a bit wider and handicap accessible fixtures. I was able to get a different room that someone cancelled because I did not want to be in a handicap room since I was not handicapped. When I saw the actual room, I was shocked because it did not resemble the villa at all. Maybe this discussion and various phone calls prompted them to give the proper information and floorplan to the customers who are booking the room.

They may have provided it to you but when I was originally booked in this room, I was told it was the same exact configuration as the other villas but a bit wider and handicap accessible fixtures. I was able to get a different room that someone cancelled because I did not want to be in a handicap room since I was not handicapped. When I saw the actual room, I was shocked because it did not resemble the villa at all. Maybe this discussion and various phone calls prompted them to give the proper information and floorplan to the customers who are booking the room.

I am not questioning that fact you got wrong information. I was just trying to add some clarity as the real configuration of this villa comes to light over time as a result of your alert.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from the August 14 Epic. We had suite 16010. I attempted to take a photo upon arrival to the Courtyard area and we were waiting to get into our suites but the room was closed.

I spoke with 2 of the stewards, ours and the one who worked that side of the ship (we were port and 16029 was starboard). Both said the room was just like all of the others except for a wider entrance door. I noticed that as well - the wider door that is - as well as the fact that the suite was located at the end of the hall just down from the concierge area making it easier for ingress and egress. So NCL did think about what they were doing when they identified this as a special needs suite. I asked both stewards about "curtains" and both said "yes" as the divider between the bathroom area and the bedroom just as our suite had. There are no curtain walls.

I spoke with the people who were staying in 16029. Unfortunately when I asked them at the life safety presentation they had not yet been in their suite so they could not provide any additional information. I also asked them when they booked the suite and they said months ago - so I believe there was a double booking for the week of August 14 that NCL never "fessed up" to.

Just returned from the August 14 Epic. We had suite 16010. I attempted to take a photo upon arrival to the Courtyard area and we were waiting to get into our suites but the room was closed.

I spoke with 2 of the stewards, ours and the one who worked that side of the ship (we were port and 16029 was starboard). Both said the room was just like all of the others except for a wider entrance door. I noticed that as well - the wider door that is - as well as the fact that the suite was located at the end of the hall just down from the concierge area making it easier for ingress and egress. So NCL did think about what they were doing when they identified this as a special needs suite. I asked both stewards about "curtains" and both said "yes" as the divider between the bathroom area and the bedroom just as our suite had. There are no curtain walls.

I spoke with the people who were staying in 16029. Unfortunately when I asked them at the life safety presentation they had not yet been in their suite so they could not provide any additional information. I also asked them when they booked the suite and they said months ago - so I believe there was a double booking for the week of August 14 that NCL never "fessed up" to.

I find this interesting considering that I actually saw the suite. It was not like my suite next door. It had curtain dividers and not walls. I also find it interesting that Gigcruiser spoke to NCL and they confirmed that the suite is one room with curtain dividers.

There is no mystery in my mind. I saw what I saw and unless they completely reconfigured the suite, it is one room with curtain dividers.

I find this interesting considering that I actually saw the suite. It was not like my suite next door. It had curtain dividers and not walls. I also find it interesting that Gigcruiser spoke to NCL and they confirmed that the suite is one room with curtain dividers.

There is no mystery in my mind. I saw what I saw and unless they completely reconfigured the suite, it is one room with curtain dividers.

I agree ascatsob as I have no doubt about your sincerity. None. It is "interesting" as I was shocked when each of the stewards gave their responses. I was not the only one they told that to by the way. We were traveling with friends who also asked. I only wish I could have taken photos. Could it be that the stewards were told to communiate the rooms were the same? And for what purpose?

Still of issue however is that fact that Gigcruiser had the room reserved for back to back cruises yet the people I spoke with said they booked the Aug 14 week "months ago". But that is a whole different issue.

If the room had Walls... I am now really #$%@ with NCL for not being honest.

If the room was doubled booked... I am now really #$%^# with NCL for not being honest.

I still am waiting for a written relpy from NCL. I wrote to the President and every VP I coul find on thier web site and annual report.

Not one person has responded.... AMAZING!

If the room was doubled booked... I am now really #$%^# with NCL for not being honest.

I still am waiting for a written relpy from NCL. I wrote to the President and every VP I coul find on thier web site and annual report.

They will respond Richard. Good companies always do. If they don't - well you have choices and you should tell them why.

It took 4 weeks for them to respond to my letter.

Take a deep breath, before you talk to them..... the first time you called, they told you it had walls. YOU called back & insisted it didn't. So they agreed with you.

Maybe the people who had it booked 'for months' had a guarantee, or maybe they got an upsell, or maybe they had the cruise booked for months, and changed rooms when you vacated this one.

It took 4 weeks for them to respond to my letter.

Take a deep breath, before you talk to them..... the first time you called, they told you it had walls. YOU called back & insisted it didn't. So they agreed with you.

Maybe the people who had it booked 'for months' had a guarantee, or maybe they got an upsell, or maybe they had the cruise booked for months, and changed rooms when you vacated this one.

I did not receive the impression that the people who had booked "for months" received any of the aforementioned. Now that I reflect on the conversation there may have been someone with special needs traveling with the party - a "mother" who was seated behind us. There were at least 4 people, perhaps 5. I stood with them as we listened to the life safety discussion.

NCL is not a public company. It is owned by GENTING Hong Kong Limited and Apollo Management, L.P. (“Apollo”). Genting was formaly known as Star Cruises. The Chairman is Tan Sri Lim Kok Thay. Where did you find an NCL annual report? I have been looking for one. It appears that the NCL 'sub' is experiencing some financial issues as it has in the past: http://*******.com/28rn5cp and http://*******.com/2vdngqn