Trans Atlantic Crossing in September

beachbumsns

I know no one can predict the weather in advance, but I was curious to hear about the Trans Atlantic crossings during September from past cruisers experiences. Wondering if generally the water is calm or rough that time of year and what people have experienced on their crossings. I have been told that September is a better time of year to make the crossing as spring crossings can be rougher weather. Any information about this would be appreciated. Also, is port or starboard side preferred on this crossing or is it just personal choice. Thanks:)

I did it in 2007, the first sea day after leaving Ireland was rough but after that it was fine. I really enjoyed using my balocny when we were out in the ocean-after the fist day. People had told me not to book one-that I would not be able to use it. I was glad I did not listen to them.

We had a similar experience as Momofmeg in 2006. We left Ireland around Sept. 16 and the first day out was kind of rough (Captain asked that no one go out on the deck) but after the first day it was just fine.

You have to be prepared for any kind of weather. We did a north Trans-Atlantic cruise last September. The seas were not too bad for the first few days. However, after we visited Greenland, we hit a major storm which gave us waves of 21 feet and wind gusts up to 70 knots. As well, bad weather prevented us from visiting St. John's Nfld. Still, it was a great cruise.

Archived