Beverage Cards?

RMLincoln

It's been a few years since we have cruised on Princess and are very much looking forward to being on Ruby Princess in October. But a few questions come to mind...

Does Princess offer beverage cards? For wine? for cocktails? for coffee?

If so, how do they work? Like a punch card or a debit card?

How much discount might they offer?\

How does one buy them if they are available?

Thanks already. m--

No "liquor" card; a coffee card (which is an actual card), a soda card (which is a sticker that goes on your cruise card), and the Ultimate Beverage card for sodas, juices other than at breakfast, and mocktails. Not sure of costs as I've never bought a coffee or Ultimate card, and it's been years since I bought a soda card. I'm sure others will fill in the blanks on costs.

And, at least on the Pacific last week, the coffee card gave you unlimited regular coffee with no punches. And, their "unlimited" meant that I could fill both my DW's and my large travel mugs each morning (or whenever) with ONE card. We actually saved considerable $$$ on our 12-night voyage by using the card for regular brewed coffee alone. I think we only used about three of the 15 available "punches."

I have a question about the coffee cards. I am sailing on Ruby in November. Last time I sailed with Princess about 4 yrs ago, we got regular coffee for free at breakfast and dinner. Do they no longer serve regular coffee for free? Bummer!!

I have a question about the coffee cards. I am sailing on Ruby in November. Last time I sailed with Princess about 4 yrs ago, we got regular coffee for free at breakfast and dinner. Do they no longer serve regular coffee for free? Bummer!!

There is free "coffee" available in the dining rooms but it is made from a concentrated syrup rather than being freshly brewed. Some people can't stand it, others don't mind it. But it *is* free.

I, myself, fall somewhere on the "don't like it" side of the fence but I must confess that I've had worse elsewhere.

If you're looking for wines, you can preorder some to have delivered to your cabin on the Princess site at the following link

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

That being said, they are rather on the pricey side and Princess is quite generous about letting you bring your own wine/champagne onboard. You can bring a bottle per person of your favorite libation.

Enjoy,

Patti

You are actually entitled to bring unlimited wine and champagne on board. You would have to pay a corkage fee if you open it in the dining room, but you can have it in your cabin and even take a glass into the dining room with you. Just ask your steward for wine glasses. I have often taken a case of wine for a longer cruise, slapped a luggage label on it, given it to the porters at the dock, and it was delivered to my cabin with my luggage.

You are actually entitled to bring unlimited wine and champagne on board. You would have to pay a corkage fee if you open it in the dining room, but you can have it in your cabin and even take a glass into the dining room with you. Just ask your steward for wine glasses. I have often taken a case of wine for a longer cruise, slapped a luggage label on it, given it to the porters at the dock, and it was delivered to my cabin with my luggage.

Not exactly, see below from Princess alcohol policy. I know people do what they want and yes, they seem to get it on board but I would not want to be the one to tell a newbie to do so, sorry.

We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption.

Alcoholic beverages sourced from shore-side and brought onboard, no matter where sourced, will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise.

A member of the ship's security staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their alcoholic beverage purchases. The only exception to the above rule, is that passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine and/or champagne per person purchased in a shoreside location onboard. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the dining room for consumption, a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to the passenger's shipboard account. We prefer that passengers bring wine/champagne no larger than 750ml, however, magnums are acceptable. Wine in a box is not encouraged.

Passengers are also permitted to consume the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of their stateroom only, but it may not be brought into any public lounge for consumption.

Please note that any wines and champagnes supplied from the ship's stock to passengers would not be subject to a corkage fee.

haha a conversation about coffee turned into liquor!!! CC members are a bunch of alcoholics - atleast on vacations :) :) :)

You would think it would be the other way around, alcholics at home with the everyday stresses of life.

On vacation relax and enjoy, no stress.

Or maybe we are all just booze hounds and want to really enjoy our vacations.:D

i heard somewhere that if you use up all your punches then you are no longer eligable for the regular coffee either. Is that true??

Once the staff knew, early in the cruise, that I had a coffee card, they never asked to see it again ... unless they needed to punch it for on of the specialty coffees.

Thank you all for your ideas and experiences. We may consider bringing a bottle or two on board if we can buy them easily in the port, and that amount seems to be ok by the rules. That should last us a while as we're not big wine drinkers but we'd like to do a little celebrating and this will feel special:).

As for the coffee, I'm not too particular so the basic diluted syrup should be ok, and if not I'll try the coffee card which sounds reasonable enough. I've never starved nor gone thirsty on a cruise ship. It's hard to have a bad day on a cuise ship!

Once the staff knew, early in the cruise, that I had a coffee card, they never asked to see it again ... unless they needed to punch it for on of the specialty coffees.

wow...r the staff that attentive to the 2000+ passengers on board? That's impressive!

wow...r the staff that attentive to the 2000+ passengers on board? That's impressive!

Yeah, they really are. It is impressive and one of the things that makes sailing on Princess so special. I mean, there's an indifferent staff member every now and then, obviously, but in general, you will be amazed at the level of service. You'll be totally spoiled, in other words! Your first night home, you'll sit at your dining room table fuming because no waiter has swooped over to drape your napkin in your lap for you and hand you a menu; there are no chocolates on your pillow, and worst of all, the bartender who remembers how you like your martini is nowhere to be found. It's a cruel shock, returning from a cruise . . .

No, they were that attentive to the 680 passengers on board. But, it's also been my experience on the larger ships. All you need to do, is take a few minutes to exchange friendly greetings (not just orders for coffee) and they get to know you.

What the Hades is coffee made from "syrup"?????? I've been worrying about my beer and the issues of price/bar bill with that. Didn't think I had to worry about coffee as our TA said coffee was free. We don't drink the "fufu" coffees, but if we did/do, are those made from actually brewing coffee? Can you get a regular coffee that isn't syrup???

Can you get a regular coffee that isn't syrup???

Only with a coffee card. Some think the "free" coffee is horrible. I don't mind it at all. But, we do get the coffee card so that we can have the brewed coffee from the coffee bar when we want it.

What the Hades is coffee made from "syrup"?????? I've been worrying about my beer and the issues of price/bar bill with that. Didn't think I had to worry about coffee as our TA said coffee was free. We don't drink the "fufu" coffees, but if we did/do, are those made from actually brewing coffee? Can you get a regular coffee that isn't syrup???

It's just instant coffee, it's just that the mix is in syrup, or liquid, form rather than granular form like that jar of Maxwell House in your pantry. Some people hate it; some don't mind it. Don't worry about it until you try it; no sense stressing out over something you can't do anything about. "Fufu" coffees (I'm assuming you mean lattes and so forth) are made with espresso which is brewed. The coffee bar also will have Jamaican Blue Mountain (brewed) regular coffee and no-name brewed coffee: the latter two, of course, are for purchase or you can use the coffee card (JBM = 1 punch out of the 15 on the card; fresh brewed is free as long as the card still has punches). Hope this helps.

Archived