Hotel near Las Olas in FLL

pjcoach

Looking for a hotel in FLL for 1 night pre-cruise. Thinking that we want to be near Las Olas so that we can grab some dinner and just walk around looking at people and shops. When we have stayed in Miami pre-cruise, we typically will walk around Bayside. Is Las Olas what we are looking for, or is there another option?

In terms of a hotel, ideally it would be walking distance to Las Olas (or a similar place), and provide complimentary breakfast.

Any ideas.

Thanks

We have never stayed at Las Olas and we hear it is a great area tho very upscale. You may want to consider one on the many great hotels on 17th St...we stay at the Embassy Suites... alot of good resturants, shopping, wine/liquor stores..all with easy walking distance.... about $15 + tip by taxi from FLL.

Water taxi by the Hilton Marina...

Entrance to the port right off 17th St.. some hotels shuttle no change ... Embassy Suites provides a shuttle service for $7 pp... taxi from Las Olas would be more but might balance out..

You could stay at the Riverside Hotel which is right on Las Olas Blvd. It is a nice, historic hotel. But, I highly doubt they offer a complimentary breakfast (but I could be wrong about that). The hotel is, however, only 1 1/2 miles from Port Everglades. And, it is in walking distance of some nice restaurants.

The Riverside is ON Las Olas...it's the only hotel that is. No free breakfast. No shuttles. Priceline carries it in their inventory. 3 star property.

17th St. hotels are "downtown". But also near restaurants,stores etc. Check it out on a map.

Here's a site for Las Olas....http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/

The Riverside Hotel is the only hotel in the area. There is a Hampton Inn about 5 blocks away that provides free breakfast, but I wouldn't recommend walking between there and Las Olas after dark because there is crime in the neighborhood and there aren't many people around. It would be fine if you take a cab.

Las Olas is SO much better than Bayside...I can't even expand upon the idea.

Mangos is one of my favorite restaurants on Las Olas, although there are plenty of lovely little places to choose from. (I'm sentimental, it's where my husband and I had lunch right after we went downtown for our marriage license.)

What I like about Las Olas is that it's shady in the day and fun at night. Lots of stores to explore, live music, etc.

You don't really need to stay right on Las Olas. I agree, find a place you like on 17th St and take a cab. Or stay at the Hyatt Pier 66 and take the water taxi.

Have a wonderful time!

We are staying at the Hyatt Place Airport North on a Friday and Saturday before our cruise in September. Is this place far from this hotel?? We will be looking for things to do and places to eat....will it fit the bill? Is it in walking distance or should we take a cab......and what would it cost?? Or is it on a bus or shuttle line?? Thanks

We are staying at the Riverside on August 28th, before our cruise on the Emerald Princess. We got the Riverside for $65 through Priceline. Have typically stayed on 17th Street (Hyatt Place North, Embassy Suites and Renaissance). Found the best pricing to be valuetrips dot com for the Hyatt Place North and Priceline for the Renaissance (some time ago) and the Riverside. Riverside has no free shuttles or free breakfast, while Hyatt Place North has both (including free shuttles from the airport and to the pier).

Would highly recommend Hyatt Place North, but am looking forward to the Riverside.

We are staying at the Hyatt Place Airport North on a Friday and Saturday before our cruise in September. Is this place far from this hotel?? We will be looking for things to do and places to eat....will it fit the bill? Is it in walking distance or should we take a cab......and what would it cost?? Or is it on a bus or shuttle line?? Thanks

Not sure about things to do in walking distance of the hotel. Several places to eat, and several places to pick up things you may need (wine store, market, Walgreens) within walking distance.

for the information. So, if I chose to stay at a hotel on 17th street, is that within walking distance of Las Olas, and is it safe to make that walk at night?

17th Street is NOT in walking distance of Las Olas. Even though sites such as Priceline or Hotwire may consider the 17th St area "Downtown", it is not really Downtown. If you chose to walk, it would be about a mile and a half to 2 miles walk.....only to be done IN DAYTIME. DO NOT walk this route at night. Honestly, though, I would take a very inexpensive cab ride.

for the information. So, if I chose to stay at a hotel on 17th street, is that within walking distance of Las Olas, and is it safe to make that walk at night?

NO!

Stay on Las Olas. It is so much nicer than 17th Street and Bayside. You can get The Riverside on Priceline or Hotwire for much cheaper than rack rate.

I love how you ask about Las Olas and people tell you to stay on 17th Street. Not.

No and no. If you stay at Pier 66 Hyatt or Hilton Marina on 17th St, you will have a water taxi stop at the hotel and can take that to Las Olas. Or a taxi would cost about $10 from any of the 17th St hotels.

The cab shouldn't be more than $5 or $10 bucks, you wouldn't want to walk it. Try for the Riverside, but if you end up on 17th St, it's not the end of the world. If you're already staying on 17th St, then YES, take a taxi, or see if the hotel's shuttle driver will drop you off at Las Olas Street.

Las Olas Street is a lovely little neighborhood area, and you will enjoy strolling, window shopping and noshing along as you go.

As a resident of Ft. Lauderdale, I've been to the 17th St area about 3 times in the 15 years I lived there. I went to Las Olas about a bazillion times.

17th Street is where you stay before a cruise, Las Olas is a desitination.

Just wanted to clarify.

We stayed at the Riverside Hotel-got it through Priceline before our March, 2010 cruise and just can't say enough about how nice the Las Olas area is!! It was perfect for us-fun shops to brouse in, restaurants, etc. The Riverside did not have a free breakfast, but there are numerous cafe's, coffee bars, restaurants within a very short walk.

If you can get it, Riverside is the way to go in my book. I live in Fort Lauderdale but before I moved down I stayed there many times. When it wasn't available thru Priceline or Hotwire, I stayed off 17th Street which is also nice.

On Las Olas, there are exactly the things you wanted in your original post - food, fun, people watching, et cetera.

Archived