Attire for Seattle/Alaska?

DWofHandicappedCruiser

How is the general feeling about wearing real fur in these areas? I would imagine not so great in Seattle, acceptable in Alaska. I want to be warm - hate the cold. Will I encounter a problem?

If you've got it wear it ;)... Doubtful you will have any problems....:)

When are you going to Alaska? Most Alaskans are OK with fur and many Alaskans are fur trappers, however you won't see Alaskans wearing fur during the summer months unless they are at high altitudes where there is snow or really far north.

Many Alaskans (during the winter) wear fur on the inside of their outer wear because the fur works better that way for keeping a person warm. Not because there are red paint throwers in Alaska.

Fur is less popular in Seattle for several reasons, but not the least is the normal amount of rain received there. Fur and rain don't mix very well.

I've never seen anyone on a cruise wearing fur. Maybe I missed a few folks.

When are you going, december?

I can understand the need to be warm, but honestly if you are going during regular tourist season May-Sept at best you need some fleece and a waterpoof jacket more then another layer with real fur.

Even when it was in the 50's I can't recall seeing one fur real or not out on deck, YMMV.

How is the general feeling about wearing real fur in these areas? I would imagine not so great in Seattle, acceptable in Alaska. I want to be warm - hate the cold. Will I encounter a problem?

I wear it when the temp drops to 55. I had thought to wear a rain poncho as well because I understand it is very rainy when we are cruising, which is the last week of August. On the other hand, I don't want to be smothered so I will bring sweaters and a suede jacket, too. You really think I won't need my coat?

Let's put it this way.....if you want your fur to be spray painted by the PETA people, feel free to wear it in Seattle. They are pretty fanatic about that (they protested about someone throwing a DEAD salmon around for a demonstration, for heaven's sake). If not so much, then leave it at home.

Yup, for travel in August, leave the fur at home. Nobody, and I mean nobody, wears real fur in Seattle. Well, actually, I know exactly one elderly lady who wears her fur coat in the winter here. Never seen a fur coat on a cruise passenger, after four Alaska cruises.

Your fur coat will not be necessary- fleece, and a water repellent jacket will keep you comfortable. You will not find a local person in fur until the temperatures go under 30 degrees- and maybe not then.

You might even throw in a pair of shorts- you might be surprised.

Archived