Prescription meds from Mexico?

KPC2001

Do a search, there is a long thread on that somewhere here. If you have a LEGAL prescription from your doctor that you have filled in MX, it is fine.... otherwise you are setting yourself up for trouble. There is a story somewhere on this board of a woman that spent alot of time in Mexican jail due to this... just make sure you have a legal Rx, and I would make a copy of it if I were you...

Last Thanksgiving my wife and I sailed on the NCL Star out of Long Beach to the Mexican Riviera. At the end of the cruise when we went through customs I was asked if we had purchased any meds. I was kind of caught off guard because on a previous cruise we had and the question never came up. I'm not sure what would have happened had we declared them on our customs declaration.

John

I'm more conerned about the safety of Mex. meds. We have insurance program that pays about 50% so how's the pricing? do we even need to ck it out or is it just better for non insured? Know of people who load up near the dock in Belize but don't their ins. situation. TIA

Been to Mexico several times, crossing the border and never had any issues with picking up meds in Mexico. This is something that has arisen just recently, due to the higher cost of prescription meds in the US than in Mexico. You have to keep in mind that many meds that require a prescription in the US do not require a prescription in Mexico. Penicillin is one of those. I know the cruise line made a huge issue of this and almost threatened jail time for those who brought back any meds from Mexico.

However, if your bags are checked then customs can't really search, as (in Long Beach anyway) you go through customs before you have your checked bags. So, if you purchase meds in Mexico, just check your bags upon leaving. It might help if you bring prescription vials from the US (empty) and fill them when you get the meds. How is customs supposed to know if you brought the meds along or bought them there? And even if you are "caught", the only thing that will probably happen is the meds will be confiscated. I doubt any criminal prosecution will be taken.

As to the safety of the meds in Mexico? Just as safe as they are here. They get the same meds we do by the same companies, but the drug companies know they can't charge the same price. After all, if the meds were that unsafe in Mexico, than Mexicans would be dropping dead all over the place. The idea that drugs in other countries are somehow "unsafe" is a myth perpetuated by the drug companies to keep Americans paying the higher prices here. After all, how "safe" are drugs in the US, with the recent recalls of Vioxx and Celebrex?

I agree with Chele60, we do it all the time and never had any problems! My dentist is even there! ( She graduated from USC.) We are 2 self employed people and the cost of insurance is outrageous, our coverage is minimum so we buy in Mexico to offset the cost. How else could we afford to cruise:)

Definitely a great deal. We have insurance but it's still cheaper in Belize, plus we don't have the dr's visit. The only controlled substance that we tend to bring back are the valium and ambien. Since I have several presciption meds that I pack in my large suitcase I toss them in there. I've never been stopped, however they do ask at customs if you are bringing back drugs/meds. I say yes and pull out my bottle of advil and inhaler. Never had a problem.

I read that you are allowed to bring up to three months supplies of meds. That is fed law. Now, they could be looking for other things, like steroids, or even worse, things like rophynal (aka "date rape" drug) that are legal in MX, but illegal in the US.

I have never been asked about meds. If you look for generics, you can get .1 max strength) retin a for around $7. Want to lose weight? Get some meridia (non amphetimine appetite suppressant). The local Walmart charges around $110 for 30 pills, you can get the generic ( Reductil I think, subutramine) for $45 for 48 pills extra strength!

If you ahve arthritis, you can get Voltanec gel (contains voltaren, a prescription antiinflamatory) for $5 a tube. Even better, get some Sinalgia (not available in the US). This gel, when rubbed on your joints reduces pain, almost makes it numb. It only last for a couple of hours, but still is good and, at $6 a tube (hey, what does a tube of BenGay go for at the local drug store?) you'll love it.

Is the pharmacy in an ok part of town (it's downtown, right?) and can anyone offer easy directions to get there? Also, do you just tell them what you want or do you need to know how to say it in Spanish? How do you get the doctor there (I have heard there is one at the pharmacy) to give you a prescription? I would like to get Ativan and Ambien.

JenX, my experience is with Rosarito Beach, but there are pharmacies on every corner. Most speak english or will get someone who can translate, they take U.S. dollars and I believe the pharmacist is usually a doctor or is able to write prescriptions for you. I should add that we buy my husbands B.P. meds there every month and he has never had any problems with the drugs or crossing the border.

The upside of being self employed is we travel when and where we want-the down side is the high cost of insurance. We have pretty good insurance but no prescription card. My DH sometimes has to take Cipro when he (rarely) has a flareup of his diverticulitous. So when we are in Mexico I usually pickup a bottle of Cipro. I also buy pure Retin-A and last month I bought a couple of X-packs and some Naproxyn. I just pack them in my checked luggage and so far have never had a problem.

Guest Time2gocruzn
we tend to bring back are the valium and ambien.

Are you able to get those without a RX? I guess I was under the understanding that some meds (like vallium, xanax, ect) you coun't NOT get w/ out one:confused:

No, you don't need a prescription for the Retin A. I'm about out of my supply so it looks like I'm going to need to book a cruise to Mexico.

This time I'm going to buy a few tubes.

It lasts quite a long time for me. If you use Retin A you are supposed to limit your sun exposure, and since I live in Florida, I only use the cream from November through March.

I've tried to stay out of the discussion on this thread, but the nurse (and educator!!!) in me couldn't avoid it any longer. My biggest concern regarding buying prescription medications in Mexico is, of course, the safety of the meds. Just as the USDA has regulations to protect us from food contaminants, the FDA here in the United States has strict guidelines for drug purity (a non-contaminated state). These guidelines are meant to protect us and to keep us from getting ill. Other issues regarding medications from Mexico involve customs regulations and the purchase of controlled substances. I've posted a link here that discusses the pros and cons of buying meds in Mexico, as well as customs requirements. I hope this helps!!!

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/health/a/mexicodrugs.htm

Most meds you get in mexico are made by the same companies in the US, they are just packaged differently for sale in a differnet market.

There are just as many fakes sold in the US as everywhere else on the planet, if not more. The whole "safety" issue is a propaganda campaign so the US drug companies here can rape us financially. Otherwise you'd be reading how Mexicans are dropping dead from bad meds.

Been to Mexico several times, crossing the border and never had any issues with picking up meds in Mexico. This is something that has arisen just recently, due to the higher cost of prescription meds in the US than in Mexico. You have to keep in mind that many meds that require a prescription in the US do not require a prescription in Mexico. Penicillin is one of those. I know the cruise line made a huge issue of this and almost threatened jail time for those who brought back any meds from Mexico.

However, if your bags are checked then customs can't really search, as (in Long Beach anyway) you go through customs before you have your checked bags. So, if you purchase meds in Mexico, just check your bags upon leaving. It might help if you bring prescription vials from the US (empty) and fill them when you get the meds. How is customs supposed to know if you brought the meds along or bought them there? And even if you are "caught", the only thing that will probably happen is the meds will be confiscated. I doubt any criminal prosecution will be taken.

As to the safety of the meds in Mexico? Just as safe as they are here. They get the same meds we do by the same companies, but the drug companies know they can't charge the same price. After all, if the meds were that unsafe in Mexico, than Mexicans would be dropping dead all over the place. The idea that drugs in other countries are somehow "unsafe" is a myth perpetuated by the drug companies to keep Americans paying the higher prices here. After all, how "safe" are drugs in the US, with the recent recalls of Vioxx and Celebrex?

Is Reductil the brand name for Meridia in Mexico? Also I'm guessing that Subutramine is the main ingredent? My doctor was going to put me on this but when I found out the cost of it and that my insurance wasn't going to cover it, I didn't get it. I live right a cross from the Mexican border so I can get it easily. I also checked for Meridia but they said they didn't have it. Well now maybe with this info I can get it!!LOL

Thanks for the info.

Sabrina

The whole "safety" issue is a propaganda campaign so the US drug companies here can rape us financially. Otherwise you'd be reading how Mexicans are dropping dead from bad meds.

Mexicans rarely get sick from drinking their water or eating their meat, but many of us do. Dropping dead from medications made in Mexico???? I doubt it. But getting ill from impurities and altered bioavailability of the drug due to changed drug concentrations, entirely possible. Many prescription drugs have what is referred to as a "narrow therapeutic range." Even in the United States, patients should not substitue one brand of a drug for another as the bioavailability can change from one manufacturer to another, increasing the risk of becoming ill. What does all of this mean????? A person takes their chances when they have their prescriptions filled in anyplace new, including a different pharmacy in their home town. One may do well with prescriptions bought in Mexico or Canada, but beware......

As the wife of a pharmacist, we have had this discussion. We would never buy drugs from a foreign country. Am I biased because DH is a pharmacist? No, we pay just as much for our meds as everyone else and with 4 kids that can add up really quick. What you are doing is playing with fire. Taking antibiotics without a prescription leads to resistant strains of bacteria, there is a reason why they are not over the counter here. As for the other meds (valium - which actually is cheap here - and Ambien), they are habit forming. While the FDA is not perfect, I would seriously take into account who else in your life it would affect if something happened to your health because you wanted to save a few bucks. Who would you go back to if something went wrong? Just my opinion, don't mean to offend anyone and everyone has to make their own choices, I just think this isn't one to take too lightly. -merry

Please be safe everyone...dont diagnose yourselves!

Nothing is as good as the sound advice of your own physician!

I have nothing against saving money..or buying wrinkle creme in Mexico! But drugs can be dangerous things...I have seen people almost die from allergies to drugs!

Please be careful...dont experiment...its not worth your health and welfare. It might ruin your cruise :eek:

I'm surprised none of you have seen the numerous local & national TV news about prescription drugs from Mexico having HIGH AMOUNT OF LEAD, ARSENIC & OTHER CONTAMINANTS OR NOT CONTAINING ANY ACTIVE INGREDIETNS. I can't believe anyone would gamble with their health...why do you think those drugs are so cheap? If you need cheaper drugs, at least buy them from Canada where there are reputable.

I plan on going to Cozumel in May and wanted to know if it was legal to purchase Oxycodone/Hydrocodone there. I am on a steady maintained monthly prescription of hydrocodone because of back injuries due to a bad car accident a few years ago. I get my meds from an online pharmacy from a doctor but runs me about $300 a month.:mad: Due to lack of insurance and proper doctor diagnosis,:( my only choice is to purchase these meds online. I read that one may purchase up to a three month supply of meds in Mexico but also read that if one were to bring back large amounts of a controlled substance it would be considerd trafficing. Is a three month supply a "large amount"? Also would anyone have any advice on going about getting a legal doctors prescription for meds in Mexico and where to purchase the meds. I would love to save a few hundred bucks over a three month period, only of course, if it isegal to do so.

Archived