Formal or Informal

Jerry and Shelly

The "rules" have never been that a tuxedo is required, at least not since 1994 when we took our first Celebrity cruise. Some people have wild imaginations. Some cruises have a much higher percentage of tuxedos than others and there certainly don't seem to be many on a summer Carribbean cruise, but a suit has always been part of Celebrity's formal dress night.

It continues to amaze me that there is so much discussion about this as it is perfectly clear just by reading what Celebrity says about formal nights on it's website. All the rest of the discussion is from people who just don't want to comply. So let them have at it. People can always find an excuse for themselves if they want to. If they can delude themselves and feel comfortable, what difference does it really matter in the grand scheme of things.

I just got back from Las Vegas and saw a lot of cute young girls wearing cute little cocktail dresses with their boyfriends tagging along wearing their jeans and tee-shirts. I noticed all the girls were walking ahead and leaving the guys behind. LOL

What's with the 'proper upbringing' accusation? I thought proper upbringing means you don't steal, lie, assault people, etc. I did not realize dressing in slacks and t-shirts would relegate me to the rank of an undesirable. God help the poor who dress in less than a tuxedo to dinner.

Thank You

I was brought up to say please and thank you. To help people when you can. To be polite . Not to take anything that doesn't belong to me . Not to lie, or cheat anyone. Listen to mom and dad .

I was told to always wear clean underwear(in case of an accident :)). Or wash my hands , or change my clothes if I had just come in from outside and was dirty. But never wear suit and tie , or a sport jacket.

The "rules" have never been that a tuxedo is required, at least not since 1994 when we took our first Celebrity cruise. Some people have wild imaginations. Some cruises have a much higher percentage of tuxedos than others and there certainly don't seem to be many on a summer Carribbean cruise, but a suit has always been part of Celebrity's formal dress night.

It continues to amaze me that there is so much discussion about this as it is perfectly clear just by reading what Celebrity says about formal nights on it's website. All the rest of the discussion is from people who just don't want to comply. So let them have at it. People can always find an excuse for themselves if they want to. If they can delude themselves and feel comfortable, what difference does it really matter in the grand scheme of things.

I just got back from Las Vegas and saw a lot of cute young girls wearing cute little cocktail dresses with their boyfriends tagging along wearing their jeans and tee-shirts. I noticed all the girls were walking ahead and leaving the guys behind. LOL

Never said that the rules require a tuxedo only. I know that it says tuxedo, dinner jacket, or suit. I bought a tuxedo because I liked the way it looked and it was 75% cheaper than the suit that I was considering. However, I really do not care how other people dress to go to dinner. (I relaize that other people do find this important, and that kind of relates to my original thread -- allowing a formal area and a less-formal area, which may or may not be feasible.)

Most people who report back from recent cruises state that the actual dress varies from the guidelines significanly, and that Celebrity does not enforce the guidelines. I don't think people are deluding (that could be construed as a rude comment) themselves if the cruiseline allows it. Celebrity has re-positioned itself as a mass-marketed cruiseline to appeal to a much broader range of customers.

I'm sorry you considered that rude. Whether the cruiseline chooses to "confront" their passengers really has nothing to do with what I sad. Of course people can get away with a lot of things, that doesn't make it right. I hope you enjoy your first Celebrity cruise regardless of what you are wearing. I go by my own experience and as I said Summer Carribbean cruises seem to be much less formal. We were on one in May-June. I don't think you'll be out of place in your tux.

We have been on many Celebrity cruises and I can assure you most people do comply with the dress code and those who don't, don't bother me. It's not my problem.:)

I'm sorry you considered that rude. Whether the cruiseline chooses to "confront" their passengers really has nothing to do with what I sad. Of course people can get away with a lot of things, that doesn't make it right. I hope you enjoy your first Celebrity cruise regardless of what you are wearing. I go by my own experience and as I said Summer Carribbean cruises seem to be much less formal. We were on one in May-June. I don't think you'll be out of place in your tux.

We have been on many Celebrity cruises and I can assure you most people do comply with the dress code and those who don't, don't bother me. It's not my problem.:)

I applaud you, Ma Bell. That is exactly what we wanted to hear from you. I'm glad it doesn't bother you. So, you can dress up on formal nights with your friends/family and I can dress how I and my friends and family dress and we will all have a great time!

Randy

Celebrity has re-positioned itself as a mass-marketed cruiseline to appeal to a much broader range of customers.

Celebrity hasn't re-positioned itself. It's always marketed itself as mass market, albeit with a slightly more formal feel. The formal dress code is the same now as it was when I started cruising them eight years ago. Nothing here has changed. Its ships may have come on a bit in offering more to appeal to a wider public, but the requested formal night attire remains the same.

I also don't care what others wear, but I do find it odd that there are some who try to pass on advice and information inconsistent with what Celebrity requests, especially when they have not been on a Celebrity cruise. For as long as questions are asked here about dress code there will be some of us who will try and give best advice based on correct information and experience.

Phil

Phil,

We have both had the same opinion for a very long time. It's never about what I or any other passenger "thinks". I've never found it necessary to "interpret" something to suit my own purposes when it's right there for all to see. If there's something I don't care for, it's easy to make a choice that makes it comfortable for myself without compromising the situation for others.

For example, I really don't think jeans are appropriate for evenings in the dining room, but I'm the one who contacted Mr. Hanrahan to try to get a clarification on whether they are allowed and to have the website clear on the point. The outcome was that they are allowed within certain limits, so that seals the deal for me. It's their dress code, not mine.

I was on a Celebrity cruise where a friend of mine was turned away at the dining room for "high tea" because she had jeans on.

It all depends on the Maitre'D at the time. I have also seen him go up and ask men to remove their baseball caps while in the MDR.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is......Why do people feel that "rules" don't apply to them? And why insist upon eating in the MDR if you are uncomfortable with the "dress code"? It's not like you don't have other options. If we don't feel like dressing for dinner on any given night, then we just don't eat in the MDR.

Off my soapbox now.....:p

I was on a Celebrity cruise where a friend of mine was turned away at the dining room for "high tea" because she had jeans on.

It all depends on the Maitre'D at the time. I have also seen him go up and ask men to remove their baseball caps while in the MDR.

I guess the thing that bothers me the most is......Why do people feel that "rules" don't apply to them? And why insist upon eating in the MDR if you are uncomfortable with the "dress code"? It's not like you don't have other options. If we don't feel like dressing for dinner on any given night, then we just don't eat in the MDR.

The "other options" are the specialty restaurants that do cost extra, the buffet (at least on our May Eclipse cruise) was miniscule and we did not wish to eat pizza, pasta, or sushi, and we did not want to eat in our cabin. We do dress and comply with the dress code, we just don't enjoy it anymore. Nor was the dress code enforced on our May cruise. We have loved our 8 weeks on Celebrity ships and everything else about Celebrity, just not the formal nights.

As I have posted in other threads, Next May my hubby and I will be taking our first cruise with Celebrity....

We will attend the formal dinner and will not be dressed to the nines...but will be dressed clean and tidy.... I wont feel bad, and I will marvel at the formal dresses some of the ladies will be wearing.... and wishing I could be dressed like that too.... My hubby will be in nice slacks and a nice clean long sleeve top of some sort.... and I again will enjoy watching what the other men will be wearing...

We are both disabled, with a income that makes this cruise a dream come true and a blessing to be able to go on in the first place....

So for those of you who cruise multiple times a year, in first class suites, who will be wearing first class formal wear, take a few minutes to look at more that the outside appearance of your fellow cruisers....

Some are on the ship with you to enjoy the wonders (in our case of Alaska) and enjoying the different foods that we could in no way enjoy in our every day life....

Just my 2 cents, and I hope I have not offended anyone....

I doubt if they are uncomfortable. It sounds like you're more concerned than they are about their lack of dress.

As I have posted in other threads, Next May my hubby and I will be taking our first cruise with Celebrity....

We will attend the formal dinner and will not be dressed to the nines...but will be dressed clean and tidy.... I wont feel bad, and I will marvel at the formal dresses some of the ladies will be wearing.... and wishing I could be dressed like that too.... My hubby will be in nice slacks and a nice clean long sleeve top of some sort.... and I again will enjoy watching what the other men will be wearing...

We are both disabled, with a income that makes this cruise a dream come true and a blessing to be able to go on in the first place....

So for those of you who cruise multiple times a year, in first class suites, who will be wearing first class formal wear, take a few minutes to look at more that the outside appearance of your fellow cruisers....

Some are on the ship with you to enjoy the wonders (in our case of Alaska) and enjoying the different foods that we could in no way enjoy in our every day life....

You will have a wonderful time. It all becomes a non issue once you are onboard and everyone just enjoys themselves.

What happens on the cruise boards, stays on the cruise boards:D You will be fine, have a lovely time.

I should clarify a point regarding clothing. For many of you, it's a cruise, then fly home. For us it's a cruise, a week in Barcelona, an Easyjet flight to Ireland for another month, and a visit to our daughter who lives in London. I understand and agree with "formal nights", but do I want to pack a tux to be used for only 3 nights of a nearly 2-month trip?

So tell me, if I wear a black suit jacket and gray slacks, tie and solid-color shirt, is there ANY place that we can eat on the ship that will NOT cost us extra? And a buffet is not the option I'm looking for. I like dressing up. I don't like having to lug it all around for two months!

If our July Infinity cruise is any indication, you will be dressed in the top 33% on formal nights in the MDR!!!

If my cruise to Alaska on the Infinity in July is any indication, there will be about as many passengers dressed like you as wearing tuxes.

How about leaving one good cruiseline the way it is rather than making it as mediocre as the rest.

I was on the Golden Princess and the Sapphire Princess last year, both of which far outpaced the number of Tuxes and dark suits worn by passengers on formal nights than on my recent Infinity cruise.

That being said, I must say that the elegance of the dining room on the Infinity just made be personally want to dress formally. I looked around (because of this board) to see what others were wearing and was really kind of amazed after reading here at how casually many were dressed. Many many more than you jackdiamond or clemm would have posters believe! I had absolutely no problem with their attire, and it certainly didn't diminish my experience. I didn't even have to ignore them; instead, I visually embraced them.

For example, I really don't think jeans are appropriate for evenings in the dining room, but I'm the one who contacted Mr. Hanrahan to try to get a clarification on whether they are allowed and to have the website clear on the point. The outcome was that they are allowed within certain limits, so that seals the deal for me. It's their dress code, not mine.

That's interesting to read. Not sure what the "within certain limits" means. Did he elaborate at all? Personally I don't even think jeans come under "smart casual". When I worked we had a smart casual day every so often and it was made clear that didn't include jeans. That's another debate though;)

The great thing about cruising today is that there is so much choice. I can't imagine continuing to cruise a line known for a more formal dining atmosphere if I didn't enjoy that aspect. If the casual dining options didn't fit for whatever reason I'd try a different line.

Phil

That's interesting to read. Not sure what the "within certain limits" means. Did he elaborate at all? Personally I don't even think jeans come under "smart casual". When I worked we had a smart casual day every so often and it was made clear that didn't include jeans. That's another debate though;)

The great thing about cruising today is that there is so much choice. I can't imagine continuing to cruise a line known for a more formal dining atmosphere if I didn't enjoy that aspect. If the casual dining options didn't fit for whatever reason I'd try a different line.

Phil

It's interesting you should make such a comment because ALL the cruise line except for perhaps Cunard are now accepting jeans as being acceptable within limits lately. It's becoming more & more common as the face of the cruising public is changing over the years & the cruise lines are only trying to appease everyone in their decisions in order to still be competitive.

btw- people used make the same comment about smoking & now look at the restrictions on all the lines with possibly even more in future years.

It's interesting you should make such a comment because ALL the cruise line except for perhaps Cunard are now accepting jeans as being acceptable within limits lately. It's becoming more & more common as the face of the cruising public is changing over the years & the cruise lines are only trying to appease everyone in their decisions in order to still be competitive.

btw- people used make the same comment about smoking & now look at the restrictions on all the lines with possibly even more in future years.

Actually the part of my post you quoted wasn't related to the jeans debate, but rather the formal nights and casual options available if you didn't want to partake in them.

BTW I love the dress code on Celebrity, but I love the smoking policy even more!

Phil

Being a senior myself, I understand how difficult it is for some to accept the mores of the 21st century. So many of them are very different from the ones with which we were brought up. (We were all WELL brought up. No need to compete on this, posters!) However, I think we really have to keep up with the times.

Much bigger than cruise ship code: who bats an eye now when we learn that an unmarried couple is living together? When we were brought up, it was totally unacceptable.

Being a senior myself' date=' I understand how difficult it is for some to accept the mores of the 21st century. So many of them are very different from the ones with which we were brought up. (We were all WELL brought up. No need to compete on this, posters!) However, I think we really have to keep up with the times.

Much bigger than cruise ship code: who bats an eye now when we learn that an unmarried couple is living together? When we were brought up, it was totally unacceptable.[/quote']

Yes, and that unmarried couple isn't going to make my marriage anything less because of it. Some of the posters on these dress code threads would make you think that others attire would rip at the very 'fabric' of their being. :D

A new term to this board and one that I really like is the Dress Code Spetsnaz. I just hope they leave their backflipping hatchet attack at home. :p:D:p

I only know one thing about dressing formally on "FORMAL NIGHTS", since I told my wife that I was going to buy a tux for our 2005 cruise (our first cruise for our 30th anniversary being in 1992 and our next for reasons too numerous to relate here, in 2002) and her response to that announcement being "you're going to buy what?????, and then ---- WHY???.

I simply told her that everybody in a tux on our previous 3 cruises looked like they were just enjoying themselves so much, that I thought it would be great to "DRESS UP" for this cruise. I sailed with excitedofharpendon and Ma Bell on that cruise and frankly never paid much attention to whether anyone else was in a tux or not. Our CC group, the Mercury Amigos had an amazing 11 days and I had a number of comments on how "spiffy" my wife & I looked. That did it for me.

I since have even gone to the extreme of buying and/or creating cummerbund, tie, stud and cufflink sets to match or complement my wife's outfits, and look forward every cruise to our special dress up nights.

P. S. - We just celebrated our 48th Wedding Anniversary this month!!!! (I must be doing something right - LOL)

Yes, and that unmarried couple isn't going to make my marriage anything less because of it. Some of the posters on these dress code threads would make you think that others attire would rip at the very 'fabric' of their being. :D

A new term to this board and one that I really like is the Dress Code Spetsnaz. I just hope they leave their backflipping hatchet attack at home. :p:D:p

Please educate me: what is Spetsnaz?

By the way, when my son was a teen, he loved Farsight. I used to buy him the calendars, each day a different cartoon.

Archived