Tipping tour guides in St Petersburg

blyle

My understanding is approx. 10% to the guide and 5% to the driver..of course any extra will be up to you..I'm sure if someone disagrees they will post..I'm going to be on a two day private tour of St. Petersburg in about 2 weeks and this is what I have heard so far....

We tipped our guide 10% and gave the driver tip of his own...our tour guide, Masha, went out of her way to accomodate special requests made by our group of 8..we felt that she earned a little more than the normal tip that was advised. I think a tip in any case can be recommended but the service provided should determine the amount. Have fun in St. Petersburg!!!

We had a two-day tour in St. Pete and thought both our guide and driver went out of their way for us - especially accommodating our request to stop for stamps so we could mail post cards. They also stopped at the Cruiser Aurora so we all could take photos - but it was my DH who really wanted to see the ship! Therefore, we tipped: driver $20 and guide $40.

We had a private tour in St Petersburg. Since it cost over $500 each (including the evening program at the ballet) my friend and I originally were not going to tip. But, since we really loved our guide and the driver, we both gave each $20. It might not have been a percentage, but both were very thankful for the tips.

• 7 months later...

We just received our tour company’s thoughts on tipping (based on current general local standards). We asked because with air to Moscow, restaurants, etc. included in the price of the tour, I was not comfortable with how the % worked out.

In a nutshell : for guide 1000 RUB/ 36 US per couple for full day and driver 500 RUB / 18 US per couple for full day.

Of course I was told tipping was completely optional and should be based on 'good' service.

Having once upon a time worked in a North American hotel, can say that not all that receive tips they are supposed to share actually do so. And who is to say how much was meant for which person if the amount is not 50/50?

I would imagine that the same must happen in Russia as well.

Point taken, thanks.

So when it is said that 10% is common, is that 10% then divided between the guide and driver (for example: 75/25 or 60/40) or is it 10% to the guide alone and then another amount for the driver? :confused:

Our private 2 day tour for the 2 of us came to approx $1000.00 we tipped the guide $100.00 and the driver $50.00..Have no idea if this was the correct amount but after spending 2 wonderful days with them I hope we didn't short change them...

Point taken, thanks.

So when it is said that 10% is common, is that 10% then divided between the guide and driver (for example: 75/25 or 60/40) or is it 10% to the guide alone and then another amount for the driver? :confused:

there are no set rules, but we did the 10% thing for the both. The guide is your main touch with St Petersburg. the driver does just that, drive, so most of your contact will be with the guide, so she/he should get the better part of your tip. We did a sort of 2/3-1/3 type of deal. We did NOT do separate envelops (tips), but we told the guide to give the driver X amount and keep the rest for yourself. I cannot say what they do with the money after we give it to them, but I would assume it is fairly divided, hopefully, to our wishes.

Cheers

Len

Len,

We had a little different experience..Our driver interacted with us as well as doing an amazing job at manuevering through the streets of St Petersburg..When we wanted to mail some postcards it was he who decided to take us the to main postoffice..went in with us as well and helped us to buy the stamps and mail them..As we exited the car on that last day we all hugged and we handed them each cash..So you are correct, each situation is going to be handled differently...

As Always Cheers To You..:)

I struggled with this one as well. When you spend two full days with the guide and driver on an outstanding private tour, you really feel you want to show your appreciation. On our tour of 10, I thought some folks were shorting the tips. In the end, I think DH and I overtipped, but I could live with that since it was a terrific two days. The piece that tripped me up was tipping on the total cost of the tour and not considering how much of that was admissions to museums etc. This is unlike a tour on a coach bus of 40-50.

However, when I read Honorine's response, we nailed it!

Archived