No RCCL ship in L.A. after January??

Hello, fellow cruisers -- Does anyone have any good info on what RCCL's plans are for L.A. (Long Beach)? I really miss the Monarch and the 4-day cruises. This past March I was on the Mariner and would do that again, but she's leaving after January 11th. That leaves us with only NCL, Carnival, and HAL. I prefer RCCL and am disappointed they appear to be deserting us West Coast cruisers!

Sorry, but RCL is moving out of the West Coast for now. Apparently between the recession hitting California, Nevada, and Arizonia hard, the swine flu thing, and the violence in Mexico, it is no longer profitable for RCL to be on the West Coast. Hopefully things will turn around in the next few years and RCL will return to the West Coast.

I don't think the west coast has been hit any harder than anywhere else..I do think RCI has made a mistake leaving us without a ship at all..Hopefully they will reconsider..

they may return later ... but for 2011, I think it's an irreversible done deal (the ships have already been committed to other itineraries and have bookings). I hope they return to CA faster than it took them to return to New Orleans!! :(

There has been much speculation that the West Coast wasn't as profitable for them as they had hoped..so they are off searching for greener pastures.
I wasn't really speculation, Adam Goldstein said it in his blog.

Sorry, but RCL is moving out of the West Coast for now. Apparently between the recession hitting California, Nevada, and Arizonia hard, the swine flu thing, and the violence in Mexico, it is no longer profitable for RCL to be on the West Coast. Hopefully things will turn around in the next few years and RCL will return to the West Coast.

What probably won't change is the added cost of just having a ship in California ... the extra taxes, the special fuel, etc etc etc ... I can definitely see this as an extended absence.

We have been cruising RCL out of California since the Seranade of the Seas.....hmmm...I think that was about 20 years ago.

We took the Mariner this last May. The ship was full. On the way out, one of the crew told me the real reason for leaving was the unrest in Mexico.

That is not expected to get any better in the near future. Passengers insist on taking tours & wandering futher on their own from the port cities. RCL does not want to be involved in anything that compromises the safety of their passengers. I can't blame them.

Being that I live in a border state I am well aware of the problems.

I annually go to a Mexican spa that has a border crossing close to San Diego.

The bus company that provides service there says that is the only route they still run.

They refuse to use any of the other crossings.

sad times.................

I believe it to be a combination of things.....and the strongest being the profitability of the ship.

With a combination of the economy being down, the ship is still sailing out at or near capacity, but the onboard revenue is apparently way down. That includes the bars, the photo gallery, the spa, the shops onboard, the items that make the bottom line for Royal Caribbean.

The fact that the Port of Los Angeles has raised their docking fees, made them use a eco friendly fuel (very expensive) coming in and going out of port, have all added up to Royal Caribbeans decision to leave California.

Unless I have missed something, I have not read of a ships passenger being injured or killed, due to the restlessness in Mexico. Maybe someone could shed some light on that subject.

Unless I have missed an announcement, it appears that Princess will keep their schedule from September of this year thru April of next year.

Someone said.....and I guess they would be right......if we want to cruise on the Mariner, we need to travel to Galveston, Texas!!:rolleyes:

We miss the Monarch, and will miss the Mariner......but I don't think that RCCL really cares what the West Coast thinks.

Rick

We have been cruising RCL out of California since the Seranade of the Seas.....hmmm...I think that was about 20 years ago.

We took the Mariner this last May. The ship was full. On the way out, one of the crew told me the real reason for leaving was the unrest in Mexico.

That is not expected to get any better in the near future. Passengers insist on taking tours & wandering futher on their own from the port cities. RCL does not want to be involved in anything that compromises the safety of their passengers. I can't blame them.

Being that I live in a border state I am well aware of the problems.

I annually go to a Mexican spa that has a border crossing close to San Diego.

The bus company that provides service there says that is the only route they still run.

They refuse to use any of the other crossings.

sad times.................

Well, since the Serenade was launched just seven years ago, in 2003, I fear that there is something *off* in your account.

Forget Mexico- sail to Vancouver & Seattle--The route the cruises took during the Swine Flu epidemic. I'd love to do the Northern route for a change!

. . . .

That is not expected to get any better in the near future. Passengers insist on taking tours & wandering futher on their own from the port cities. RCL does not want to be involved in anything that compromises the safety of their passengers. . . .

I believe it to be a combination of things.....and the strongest being the profitability of the ship.

With a combination of the economy being down, the ship is still sailing out at or near capacity, but the onboard revenue is apparently way down. That includes the bars, the photo gallery, the spa, the shops onboard, the items that make the bottom line for Royal Caribbean.

The fact that the Port of Los Angeles has raised their docking fees, made them use a eco friendly fuel (very expensive) coming in and going out of port, have all added up to Royal Caribbeans decision to leave California. . . .

Rick

Even assuming all of the above are valid points, how come Princess, NCL, Carnival, HAL and soon, Disney, don't seem to have these concerns? You would think they all would leave. What's the difference? IMO, RCCL has to pay for Oasis and Allure whereas the others don't have that large bill to pay. RCCL seems to think they can make more money in Europe than CA. What have they got there? 10 or 11 ships? Maybe they know more than the other lines, but I doubt it.

yea, its lame, but i know the port of LA is doing a major renovation to the marina and adding up additional berths for cruise ships, they will be closer to the ocean the the current ones, dunno if that project is still going, well, maybe bring back the viking serenade, HAHA, but at worst, cruise to no were, san diego, maybe Catalina lsland?

yea, its lame, but i know the port of LA is doing a major renovation to the marina and adding up additional berths for cruise ships, they will be closer to the ocean the the current ones, dunno if that project is still going, well, maybe bring back the viking serenade, HAHA, but at worst, cruise to no were, san diego, maybe Catalina lsland?

I heard from a friend that NCL has their one night on the ocean cruise coming up. So we do have the option of cruising to literally nowhere. We are a lucky bunch of sea lovers.

enjoy

debbie

Well, since the Serenade was launched just seven years ago, in 2003, I fear that there is something *off* in your account.

you were right. I meant Viking Serenade which started out of L.A. in 1990.

That used to take 3 & 4 day cruises.

Although I'm pretty sure the cruise to nowhere would be fine, wouldn't an LA to Catalina or LA to San Diego itinerary violate the PSA? Just asking...I'm no expert...

They are bringing Radiance back in 2012 for a couple of runs Honolulu to Vancouver and back.

RCI~~~~we want Radiance back pleeeese. :(

I can't fly, so it's cruise drought here. SD is also re-doing the pier. Don't care for CCL Splendor, so that's out for us.

There are some limited MR itin's for HAL and Princess though.

Pat

Archived