Underage drinking on Carnival

wwaleye

looks like shipexpert and me are on the same page. look how angry some of you are getting. i never, and surely shipexpert, did not tell you how to raise kids or what your views should be. we were stating ours in the same way you were, except ours was different. this just proves how uptight some people are about many things in life. let loose, relax. people will disagree, but it isn;t worth getting upset over it. i apologize for stating an opinion that didnt agree with yours. have a stress-free day!

There is a lot more here than just allowing teens to drink. Do you have any idea how many sexual assaults are the result of drinking? Know how many young women are taken advantage of because they drink? Know how many older teen girls have been taken advantage of by a crew member because they were drinking? More than you care to think about. And I'm not taking about 16 year olds, it's your 18 and 19 year old girls/women who are taken advantage of all the time. Just because you're on a cruise doesn't mean you're safe, if you get drunk. This issue has more to do than just not having to drive on a cruise. There are more implications with this issue than just drinking and driving.

So your saying only 18,19, and 20 year old 'under-age' girls are the only ones getting sexually asulted due to alcohol? Give me a break... this happens to women of all ages. Yes, you must be aware of your surroundings. Its much safer on a cruise ship than it is in Hollywood Blvd., or Bourbon St., or Ocean Dr.

I think you are all missing the point... Underage drinking is going to happen no matter what. As I said before, if you don't want to be around this, you should consider Holland America of Crystal.

I drank when I was under age and im sure most of you did to. Give the kids a break... Let them have a little fun too.

for the record... I am storngly aginst drinking and driving. I lost my brother to a drunk driver....

I am simply talking about vacation purposes... No one will be driving a car on a cruise ship. All I am saying, is let the kids enjoy their vacation. (18+ thats is. I am not talking about 12 year olds drinking if thats what you all think).

For the record this person had been a member for about 2 years, with 5 posts all today on this subject. let me tell you that I have never met a person who has lost a family member to a drunk driver who supports underage drinking. well i guess there is a first time for everything, or could it be something other---

like a teenager who is using another familys member computer and is just a real fool

I think everyone can really figure out who shipexperts really is

and I for one think that shipexperts is really a 14 year old boy with zits on his face, and has dirty mags under his bed.

but that is just my thinking

Bob

TahoeBob...

Hmmm.. it sounds like your a little bitter. how dare you talk about me when you don't even know me!

first off, my brother and most of all my best friend was killed by an ADULT drunk driver. Its not something I like to talk about as i'm sure you understand.

As for the under age drinking thing... drinking age in international waters is 18... therefore these 'kids' are not breaking any international law! I say let them drink. This is my opinion! No one said you have to agree with me!

get lost bro.... you are the kind of person who wrecks a party. old fart....

Get lost party pooper!

It seems to me that folks here are mostly discussing extreme situations from both sides. Some folks don't drink at all, and certainly they would not choose to have their kids experiment under any conditions. Other folks abuse alcohol and may allow their children to do so as well. But in between are a LOT of people who live responsible lives and are very careful in their parenting.

My kids are not partiers. We are not really partiers. I have maybe 2 or 3 drinks per year in social situations in which I am not driving. I am very familiar with alcohol and its negative effects...my father is an alcoholic.

I chose to allow my 18 year old to enjoy 2 alcoholic beverages (1 rum punch, 1 fancy drink on formal night) on her 7 day cruise to celebrate her graduation. These were consumed in my presence and she was under my supervision the entire night. There was no danger of her drinking and driving or getting molested by an old man. This was a SAFE and RESPONSIBLE experience for her. There are many opportunities for kids to abuse alcohol, but at some point it may be best for some to see the appropriate, moderate, safe possibilities.

I like this thread it brings up some important pts.

I keep reading because I have a son who is 15 1/2.

Apparently he told his friends he was going on a cruise.

He came home and told me that in the bahamas he is allowed to drink and gamble.

I can hardly believe that.

Then of course he asked if I would let him have one drink.

And would I let him gamble. Equally as bad since he seems to like poker.

Ok , my husband and I do drink. And of course never drive.

If he is allowed to have a drink , I have toyed with the idea of letting him have one Pina Colada.You know the saying when in Rome.

I feel like that is bad parenting.

And then of course if he ever has a problem,... that could come back to haunt me.

Give me some feed back.

It is certainly a very personal decision to make. I've never been to the Bahamas but I can't imagine that it is legal for him at that age. Even in Mexico, where they are extremely lax about those things, I believe the age is 18 (although I'm sure if you're there with money, it won't be turned down and they probably don't check ID). A previous poster said that the legal age of drinking is 18 in International Waters. I don't know if that's true or not, but the legal age on most cruiselines is 21 no matter where they happen to be.

Have a great cruise.

I don't think allowing your son one drink is going to cause him to become an alcoholic ... we're not talking about crack cocaine here. However, as a parent, it is your right/responsibility to make that decision. If you have serious qualms about letting him drink, then you probably shouldn't. In my personal experience during my early-mid teens, my parents let me buy a mini bottle of Mount Gay rum in Barbados and mixed a rum and coke back on the ship for me. Was it really necessary? No. However, I did not ask for any more alcohol nor did I try to obtain any through covert means. If you decide to let him have a pina colada, I'd suggest that you make him pay you for it right then in cash ... $6 for a glass of liquid may be a discouraging factor ;).

As for gambling, there's no way he'd be able to. I believe international age for it is 18, but you have to be 21 in many places.

I'd much rather have underage drinking go on during a cruise..where the underagers family is present.. and there is no daner of drunken driving. I also do not see any problem w/ a 17 year old being allowed to enjoy a few cocktails espically w/ the parents being able to keep track. There are so many other places where the legal drinking age is 18.. hell if you have the right to vote..sign your life away to the armed forces, drive a vehicle etc..why not be able to enjoy a cocktail before one turns 21..... But then if I did see a 10 yr old running around sloppy drunk.. THAT would definetly be an issue.. but cmon.. these are probably older teen agers.. and few of them experminting w/ the spirits

I could not disagree more, as a mother of three, & my youngest 16 I would never allow him to drink on a ship or anywhere else. So he gets a taste of it on the ship, whats to stop him from doing it when he gets home. There's a reason the drinking age is 21, their brains are not fully developed nor are they mature enough to make responsable choices.

As for the under age drinking thing... drinking age in international waters is 18... therefore these 'kids' are not breaking any international law! I say let them drink. This is my opinion! No one said you have to agree with me!

true you never said I have to agree with you, but in one of your other posts you said that I needed to lighten up, so you want me to agree with you. just a little strange IMHO

There is a lot more here than just allowing teens to drink. Do you have any idea how many sexual assaults are the result of drinking? Know how many young women are taken advantage of because they drink? Know how many older teen girls have been taken advantage of by a crew member because they were drinking? More than you care to think about. And I'm not taking about 16 year olds, it's your 18 and 19 year old girls/women who are taken advantage of all the time. Just because you're on a cruise doesn't mean you're safe, if you get drunk. This issue has more to do than just not having to drive on a cruise. There are more implications with this issue than just drinking and driving.

There is such a thing as responsibility. If a parent has done their job and taught a teen about responsibility and alcohol, the liklihood of something bad happening lessens. I know. I was the sober one at a party on Friday. I was on campus, but I wanted to make sure that nothing bad happened.

Cigarettes, alcohol, and even marijuana are all considered "gateway drugs" because so many people consider them to be "soft drugs". People who use them in moderation are not considered to have a problem -- though, of course, people's opinion on pot will vary. ALL these drugs are proven to be "gateways" to harder drugs.

Yes, many other countries allow children to have a glass of wine with dinner, but that's kind of like comparing apples and oranges. The countries you're refering to tend to view wine as a beverage to be enjoyed with dinner (and their stuff often isn't the same calibur as what's typically served in America). Many Americans, however, see that glass of wine with dinner not as a beverage but as a way to get drunk. (Want proof? There's plenty on this board.) Does it have to be this way? No, but that's how our culture and our media are treating alcohol these days, and we have to live in the world we have -- not the world that exisists in another country.

I find it hard to "lighten up" when I work with teens all day, and I see how alcohol is the very center of life for many of them -- this year's graduating class is really a mess.

As a mom who made the decision that 18 was old enough to say, in a limited way, "yes", I would say no to any younger age. Kids under 18 are still living at home and attending high school. Experimenting with alcohol should not be tolerated. At 18, however, these same kids are living in dorms and see a lot of alcohol abuse in college environments. Very different situation.

Another choice would be to let him order a few alcohol free drinks. They look the same, taste great, and are less expensive.

As a mom who made the decision that 18 was old enough to say, in a limited way, "yes", I would say no to any younger age. Kids under 18 are still living at home and attending high school. Experimenting with alcohol should not be tolerated. At 18, however, these same kids are living in dorms and see a lot of alcohol abuse in college environments. Very different situation.QUOTE]

Yes, it is. Which is why it's a topic that needs to be brought up long before college comes around. My brother and I were taught early on about responsibility and alcohol (not to mention weapons and other things) and both of us have a healthy respect for alcohol and how it should be consumed. I don't drink to get drunk, nor do I ever intend to. It's part of a cultural experience. In Germany, I will have a beer or two because I will be of legal age there and I consider it part of the experience.

I like this thread it brings up some important pts.

I keep reading because I have a son who is 15 1/2.

Apparently he told his friends he was going on a cruise.

He came home and told me that in the bahamas he is allowed to drink and gamble.

I can hardly believe that.

Then of course he asked if I would let him have one drink.

And would I let him gamble. Equally as bad since he seems to like poker.

Ok , my husband and I do drink. And of course never drive.

If he is allowed to have a drink , I have toyed with the idea of letting him have one Pina Colada.You know the saying when in Rome.

I feel like that is bad parenting.

And then of course if he ever has a problem,... that could come back to haunt me.

Give me some feed back.

Not telling you what you should do......but you asked for feedback, and I'm a parent of 2 teen boys so here's my opinion. I wouldn't give him that Pina Colada or any other fruity, good tasting drink. It just tastes too good and masks the alcohol. I would give him a sip of the strongest, nastiest whiskey or something like that to discourage him.:) As far as poker, my kids like to play too and have figured out they can have just as good a time, if not better, playing just for fun, not money. Your son can play, just for fun, with friends he meets on the cruise. Have him ask the purser for a free deck of cards.....makes a nice souvenier too. For "chips", tell him to get some packs of cheerios at the buffet in the morning. Edible chips! LOL

Have a fun time!

PS..........to Morningglorymish.....

The fact that your teen came to talk to you about drinking and gambling means he feels comfortable discussing issues with you and is looking for your guidance. Or else, he would have done these things behind your back. Good for you! Way to go Mom!!!:)

Cali croozer I am lol. It is so true. He shouldn't get a yummy Pina Colada. I actually thought about that too.Thought had occurred, to if pressured let him sip wine.Europe and all.He'll hate it. I didn't like wine until I tried it with food in my late 20's.

That cheerio thing will never fly.

I think it best to stick to " no". It just seems much healthier to say no.

Maybe he'll tell his children no someday.

thanks

I think Cali-croozer is right on the money! Some great ideas.

I also think that under 18 is very different than over 18. Both are still not legal U.S. drinking ages, but when the child is a *minor* I think the parent needs to be especially diligent. At least if they drank (with or without parental permission) at age 18, they would technically be "adults". So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think it's the greatest idea to let them drink, but I think it's an even worse idea if they're under 18.

Each parent has to decide what sounds most reasonable for *their* child, whom they know better than me, and be prepared to deal with whatever consequences arise from their choices.

My 2 cents.:)

I have only been on Carnival and have never seen any drunken children. As far as the moral issue this post seems to have morphed into, I believe it is a personal choice and should be directly related to how mature your child is and the amount of respect and communication you share. I see nothing wrong with giving an 18 year old a few drinks in a controlled environment. If a 18-year old can get behind the wheel of a two-ton death machine on wheels, vote, go to jail, and fight and die for our country, then he should be able to consume a few beers. And if your 18 year old is not mature/trustworthy enough to handle the responsibility that comes with that, please encourage him/her NOT to join the military.

I have not read this whole post but I do believe it is good there is a minimum drinking age. All of us need to grow up to be able to handle things and we all know people in their 30's, 40's,50's and even older that never matured. Often this is because they abused alcohol or drugs at a young age and this sort of stopped their emotionial developement.

So we do need to grow up before we use alochol-this is best for us to become well rounded persons; emotionially well.

I can also speak as a child of an alocholic. I had a miserable upbringing. No my father never killed anyone drunk driving but I do know for a fact he was able to pay off a crooked judge more then once with he was ticketed for drunk driving. THANK GOODNESS he never killed anyone.

As one person said though- on a cruise ship there is no driving so it is "safer" at least for bystanders. I can not help but wonder how many of these disapearances on cruiseships were because someone was drunk out of their skull and decided to do something stupid like dance on the deck railing and slipped.

I would think though this may be more of a problem on RCCL-on RCCL once out of US waters those over 18 can purchase beer and wine. My 20 yr. old daughter was hoping we would do RCCL this past fall-so she could get a glass of wine or 2. I was glad we decided to do Disney Wonder instead. Now we are not prudes or anything. We have purchased her drinks in Cozumel, Bermuda, and Nassau where it was legal but we were there with her and she had ONE drink.

To me that is the key. The underaged need to be monitored by a MATURE adult who is mature enough to know when enough is enough. You know, I never could understand why falling down drunk and puking yoiur guts out and passing out was supposed to be fun.

I guess I was one of the "smarter" youths. One bad hang-over taught me better. I never overdrank again.

Another thing guys, my father had Alzheimers by the time he was 55 and died at 63. The doctors said he probally would have gotten Alzheimers eventually but his heavy drinking caused him to have it at a much younger age. By the time he was 60 he was a pitiful person who did not even know his own wife and children. Now that may happen to me one day but hopefully I will be past 80 if it does.

Archived