Rental car return Piazzale Roma in Venice

newfirsttimer

We are planning on returning the rental car in P. Roma prior to going to the cruise terminal. Do we need to take a land taxi to the cruise port or can we walk with all the luggage. I understand there is a 'people mover' but is it convenient to both the car drop off and the cruise port. Our ship is suppose to be at pier 18, Maritime terminal, although the Port of Venice authority has it listed in San Basilio. Are these close by? Any information would be appreciated. Maybe we should drop one person and the luggage at the pier and then one person could drop off the car and walk back? Any experience with this?

You've already suggested the answer to your question. Go to the cruise port first and drop off the luggage, then one or both of you can return the rental car and either take the People Mover or walk back to the cruise port.

The distance between the two is less than a mile, so it can be easily walked, especially if you don't have luggage. There is generally a lot of traffic in the area, because it's literally the end of the road in Venice.

As you come across the bridge from the mainland, the exit for the cruise port will be the first turn - signs will also say "Tronchetto".

You've already suggested the answer to your question. Go to the cruise port first and drop off the luggage, then one or both of you can return the rental car and either take the People Mover or walk back to the cruise port.

The distance between the two is less than a mile, so it can be easily walked, especially if you don't have luggage. There is generally a lot of traffic in the area, because it's literally the end of the road in Venice.

As you come across the bridge from the mainland, the exit for the cruise port will be the first turn - signs will also say "Tronchetto".

Thanks for the information. It is hard to tell the distance between the two places when looking at a map and San Basilio looks even farther away. I am assuming the car rental drop off is in the ground floor of the large parking garage at P. Roma but that is only a guess. Sounds like dropping off the luggage first is the best bet and we can decide whether to walk or take the people mover.

• 1 month later...

I was in P. Roma to return a car in July 2010 and boarding a cruiseship at San Basilio Terminal. I was NOT allowed to go to the ship terminal with the car. There is a security gate at the turn off the bridge and I was not let in and told to turn around and head to P. Roma. Rental car return is on the street. The two lane that you will see directly in front of the rental car agencies are exit lanes from the parking lot. Do not pull into the parking garage. Park at street level along the wall. Do not go past the area in front of the rental car agencies. If you go around the corner you will be in a turn around area where all the tour buses and all the people who think they are returning their rental cars are and you will end up going back over the bridge to Mestre.

Your ship is most likely at San Basilo Terminal. It is possible to walk to it with your luggage if you don't have too much. I did it with my wife, 2 sons and 9 year old daughter. Get a map in a Tabacchi shop.

I was in P. Roma to return a car in July 2010 and boarding a cruiseship at San Basilio Terminal. I was NOT allowed to go to the ship terminal with the car. There is a security gate at the turn off the bridge and I was not let in and told to turn around and head to P. Roma. Rental car return is on the street. The two lane that you will see directly in front of the rental car agencies are exit lanes from the parking lot. Do not pull into the parking garage. Park at street level along the wall. Do not go past the area in front of the rental car agencies. If you go around the corner you will be in a turn around area where all the tour buses and all the people who think they are returning their rental cars are and you will end up going back over the bridge to Mestre.

Your ship is most likely at San Basilo Terminal. It is possible to walk to it with your luggage if you don't have too much. I did it with my wife, 2 sons and 9 year old daughter. Get a map in a Tabacchi shop.

Unfortunately there is a canal between the large Maritimma and the smaller San Basilio. I wouldn't enjoy a walk from P. Roma to San Basilio with luggage. Which ship on you on? There is a vaporetto route to San Basilio from P Roma. A land taxi would be much easier with your luggage. San Basilio can be reached by land taxi.

Excellent adice. Your ship will be at San Basilo. Easy walk with rolling luggage. Turn your car in and head for ship. Have the car folks give you dirrections. Better yet, since you have just rented from them, have them give you a ride.

Interesting info about the security gate (we have walked past that gate many times). We would probably still give it a try because you do not have much to lose other then 1 or 2 minutes. We would still turn-off to the port and try to park just outside the security gate. At that point we would try to take our luggage in the port (it is fine to walk into the port with your luggage) since the luggage drop for most cruises is at the terminal building located pretty close to the entrance. On our last two cruises out of the port they were collecting the luggage right at the corner of that building (closest to the port entrance). After dropping your luggage you can then jump back in the car and be at the rental car place within a minute. Otherwise, you will have to get back to the port with your luggage and your options would be to walk (OK if you can easily handle your luggage for a long walk) or you could get a land taxi (plenty of them at the Piazale Roma) or you could use the ships shuttle from the P Roma if your ship has a shuttle (that is never a given).

Hank

We were on Oceania Nautica July 24-Aug 5....Amazingly wonderful!!!!

It was at San Basilio Terminal.

We are on Insignia on Sept 17th. The docs from Oceania say it is docked at Maritima terminal but as I said before, the Venice port authority has it in San Basilio. Glad you had a good cruise.

Archived