Venice hotel

BZEKE

If money is no object, try the Danielli which is round the corner from San Marco. If you are lucky enough to have a room facing the lagoon, you can watch the cruise ships entering and leaving Venice, it is an incredible sight. It is a bit pricey but well worth it, with a fabulous roof top terrace restaurant.;)

We stayed at the Palazzo Abadessa. Cheaper than the Danieli but very nice. Would stay there in a minute again. Private dock so easy to take water taxi to the ship (which is really, really cool). Also, easy to transport luggage back and forth with the private dock.

Breakfast is incredible as is the service. Not dirt cheap but worth every penny. Beautiful terrace and garden which is pretty rare in Venice.

We flew over from Canada so arrived very early in the morning. Had a service pick us up, handle luggage, transferred us to water taxi and we were there at 9 a.m. They took our luggage for us, gave us breakfast (which is included but only with the night's stay - so we got a free breakfast) and by the time we were done, they had our room ready!!!

No elevator like many places in Venice but they take the luggage up and bring it back down. Very elegant, very warm and wonderful service. Overlooking a nice canal but far enough away from the hustle and bustle to escape the noise and close enough to walk to San Marco.

We lucked out and another CC couple stayed there with us so we were able to share the water taxi (same price) to the ship.

We stayed in the Hilton Milano Stucko. It is on the guideccca canal across from San Marco. You must take a shuttle to San Marco, but the are free and run every 10. Faster than walking from other hotels! You can take the alliguana, or a water taxi from the airport and to the ship. The water taxi is expensive- about $90 each way, so try and find others to share. You can use priceline to get a good rate. The views from the rooftop bar/pool is incredible.

We went to Venice last year before our cruise. Stayed at the Abbazia Hotel. You can check it out on venere.com. Was less expensive and it was two blocks from the bus terminal (P. Roma) and next to train station. Took the ATVO shuttle to P. Roma and walked across bridge and one block down. You can also check your bags at P. Roma and just carry your overnighter. The water bus is right out front of hotel also. If your going to be there more than one day, buy a Connect Card so you can get on and off the water bus as many times as you like. Have fun.

Venice is a tricky transfer under the best of circumstance; but IMHO that very reason is why one shouldn't short change a decent touristic stay by trying to minimize an issue that really won't be minimized much anyway.

If you are going to stay over for a night or two (better two or more; this wonderful city deserves it) stay in 'the thick' of it with the best tourism at your doorstep (since time islimited).

I can recommend a very good value in a very well run hotel is a superb location - the Hotel Violino D'Oro http://www.violinodoro.com Opt for a canal front room (the third floor one has a better shower set up than the second floor), or book a corner canal front triple which is cheaper for no good reason. The hotel is on the little Canal Moise (directly across from the five star Bauer at x 3$$) a couple minutes walk from the Piazza San Marco at the cute little Piazza San Moise and its typically gorgeous church, on one of the town's foremost shopping streets. The alilaguna water bus (13eu pp) will bring you also to a couple minutes walk or you can splurge on a water taxi. http://www.alilaguna.it Alilaguna also goes to the cruise port.

Stayed last October at the Hotel Ala (A Best Western). Super Location, walking distance to almost everywhere, and not too expensive. Took a water taxi from the airport, quite expensive. You could take Alaguna Ferry (check my spelling) and transfer to the vaparetto if you don't have a ton of luggage.

We stayed in the Hilton Milano Stucko. It is on the guideccca canal across from San Marco. You must take a shuttle to San Marco, but the are free and run every 10. Faster than walking from other hotels! You can take the alliguana, or a water taxi from the airport and to the ship. The water taxi is expensive- about $90 each way, so try and find others to share. You can use priceline to get a good rate. The views from the rooftop bar/pool is incredible.

We stayed at the Milano Stuckey through Priceline for a bid of $130 per night for an Oosterdam cruise in October 09. Strongly advise getting a 24 or 48 hour vaporetto pass. The ship parades along the Giudecca Canal in the morning and evening from the 11th floor pool are fantastic!

1033064685_1.Shipsdepart.JPG.87fafd2e4299b8cc0e132aa790349ada.JPG

2..JPG.a7e2977f733aade3e0820e2fa4dca01f.JPG

243074468_3.Oosterdamarrives.JPG.67700528fc5d0f809ddf2f459746ed86.JPG

4..JPG.e93a6dbd0cc53772af0c182af1a2042a.JPG

We stayed pre cruise at the Best Western Olimpia at P. Roma. Took the bus from the airport for 3E each right to P.Roma. Then walked everywhere in Venice. Walked from hotel to port (taxi was 10 E, but there was a block on the bridge, so taxis weren't running. )There was also a free shuttle from P. Roma to the port. Post cruise, we took the free shuttle to P.Roma, then bus to Mariiott by the airport. Bus goes from Marriott to P.Roma where we walked all over Venice again, the took free Marriott shuttle to airport next am. Saved a lot of money on hotel and transportation and didn't miss a thing in Venice. I used the euro saved to buy jewelry, shoes and gloves in Venice for myself and family.

Try to stay at a hotel that has a vaparatti dock....... makes life so much easier with luggage. Also try to stay as long as possible. Venice is so amazing you want as much time there as possible.

fd

We stayed at the lovely Hotel Antiche Figure last October after a Med cruise. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Breakfast was included, and they gave us a better room than we had booked because we were staying 3 nights. The hotel is right on the Grand Canal and across from the train station. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Venice, and try to stay in Venice for several days if possible. We enjoyed taking the vaporettos all around the city and out to the islands. If you have extra days, you can spend some time on Murano and Burano. It is so easy to get around if you get the 3 day pass and just hop on and off of the vaporettos. (Just a word of caution, try to avoid them at rush hour. The people are packed on like sardines. But at other times of the day, they are a relaxing way to travel, especially after walking around Venice and sightseeing.) We also enjoyed just wandering the back streets and getting lost for short periods of time. We always knew if we walked far enough we would come back to the Grand Canal, and then we could hop on a vaporetto if we were tired. The three day pass was one of the best purchases we made in Venice. It was a beautiful city, and we enjoyed our stay very much, hope you do too.

We stayed at the Hilton Molino Stuckey and it was ideal. It had its own dock so that luggage was no problem. The hotel's free transport to and from San Marco etc. was efficient and simple. The views from the rooftop pool area are incredible. We took a private water taxi directly to the cruise pier and it was worth every penny as we were dropped off and the cruise personnel took our luggage. No dragging bags around at all. It was a very short walk to the check-in area.

Has anyone stayed at the Bauer on the Grand Canal near St. Mark's Square? If so, how did you like it? We are booked there for two nights post cruise. Since we have taken HAL's transfers am I correct in assuming that we will not have any luggage hauling issues?

Has anyone stayed at the Bauer on the Grand Canal near St. Mark's Square? If so, how did you like it? We are booked there for two nights post cruise. Since we have taken HAL's transfers am I correct in assuming that we will not have any luggage hauling issues?

If you are doing HAL's transfer and pre/post cruise they should get you there just fine and you should have no luggage hauling issues at all.

Sorry, we didn't stay there. I took at look at HAL's pre cruise package last time and decided I could take a limousine service, water taxi and book a really good hotel with a private dock and still save money. And we did.

I think the Bauer is supposed to pretty good though.

One of our visits to Venice, years ago, we stayed at the Bauer (It was then called Bauer Grunwald) and it was fine. It's something of a tour bus hotel but on the higher end than some. We had a very spacious corner room and gondoliers gathered each late afternoon under our windows and serenaded. That was amazing.

I'm not sure if we'd stay there now, all these years later. Location was convenient to San Marco, good restaurants in the area, clean ..... It is definitely very much more than adequate.

If you have HAL transfers, they will handle the luggage.

Check tou the Hotel Gabrielli Sandwirth, on the canal - 5 minutes from San Marco, right across the promenade from the San Zaccaria stop for Alilaguna boats from the airport --- you definitely want to arrive at Venice by water. Then there are vaporetti from the same landing to the port. Then have dinner at Taverna San Tomaso, on Fondamenta Priuli - a 15 or 20 minute walk -cross the Academy Bridge - then about two blocks to the right. Great food at reasonable prices -a very rare combination in Venice. Of course, the Gabrielli Sandwirth has a pretty good restaurant.

Try to give yourself two or three days --after all, how many times are you going to get to Venice in one lifetime? Always have a good, detailed map with you: Venice is a maze best explored by wandering .

Check tou the Hotel Gabrielli Sandwirth, on the canal - 5 minutes from San Marco, right across the promenade from the San Zaccaria stop for Alilaguna boats from the airport --- you definitely want to arrive at Venice by water. Then there are vaporetti from the same landing to the port. Then have dinner at Taverna San Tomaso, on Fondamenta Priuli - a 15 or 20 minute walk -cross the Academy Bridge - then about two blocks to the right. Great food at reasonable prices -a very rare combination in Venice. Of course, the Gabrielli Sandwirth has a pretty good restaurant.

Try to give yourself two or three days --after all, how many times are you going to get to Venice in one lifetime? Always have a good, detailed map with you: Venice is a maze best explored by wandering .

and count on getting lost at least once. Happens to everyone. if you don't you haven't explored enough:) tip - gondoliers are very helpful!:D

If you are doing HAL's transfer and pre/post cruise they should get you there just fine and you should have no luggage hauling issues at all.

Sorry, we didn't stay there. I took at look at HAL's pre cruise package last time and decided I could take a limousine service, water taxi and book a really good hotel with a private dock and still save money. And we did.

I think the Bauer is supposed to pretty good though.

Tks for the reassurance re the luggage issue.

HAL only offers two choices---one was a budget hotel on a backwater canal and the other was the Bauer on the Grand Canal----a no brainer choice. I know we could have done it less expensively on our own but when we are in an unfamiliar area there is a certain comfort level in taking the transfers----- and you can only take the transfers if you let HAL book your hotel.

This will be our second time in Venice---the last was on a bus tour many years ago. I only know I didn't get enough of it on the first visit. I could--and will---walk for hours.

One of our visits to Venice, years ago, we stayed at the Bauer (It was then called Bauer Grunwald) and it was fine. It's something of a tour bus hotel but on the higher end than some. We had a very spacious corner room and gondoliers gathered each late afternoon under our windows and serenaded. That was amazing.

I'm not sure if we'd stay there now, all these years later. Location was convenient to San Marco, good restaurants in the area, clean ..... It is definitely very much more than adequate.

If you have HAL transfers, they will handle the luggage.

This is good to know. Tks.

• 4 months later...

Please let us know what you think about the Bauer. We are booked on a transatlantic next Oct. and are also staying at Bower through HAL. Like you the bit extra we're paying is for comfort level. This is our first cruise that does not start and end in US so we'll see how it goes and perhaps next time we'll do hotel on our own. Thanks.

are very nice, have stayed at both. Breakfast on the upper terrace at the Danielli is fantastic, but prefer to stay at the Gritti. Both are convenient and have landings for direct access for your luggage and yourself. Both will arrange transport from airport to hotel and to the ship. Either hotel would be a good choice.

Archived