Ditching the ship?

Ashlm85

Hello Everyone,

I am a little bit of an inexperienced cruiser :) My husband and I are taking a 7 night Med. cruise this coming October through Princess. We are going to be at the Portofino port for a day and then the Livorno (Florence) port the next day. We were thinking about leaving the ship for a night to stay in Cinque Terre. Does anyone know if this is allowed? Any advice about doing this? We're not quite sure about luggage both staying on the ship and taking with us to Florence. I don't want to have bags with me while in port for the day. Any and all information would be really appreciated!

Thanks for helping a newbie!

PS.. We are going to be in Amalfi for 4 days prior and Rome for 4 days after, so there shouldn't be any immigration issues :)

Hello Everyone,

I am a little bit of an inexperienced cruiser :) My husband and I are taking a 7 night Med. cruise this coming October through Princess. We are going to be at the Portofino port for a day and then the Livorno (Florence) port the next day. We were thinking about leaving the ship for a night to stay in Cinque Terre. Does anyone know if this is allowed? Any advice about doing this? We're not quite sure about luggage both staying on the ship and taking with us to Florence. I don't want to have bags with me while in port for the day. Any and all information would be really appreciated!

PS.. We are going to be in Amalfi for 4 days prior and Rome for 4 days after, so there shouldn't be any immigration issues :)

Call Princess HQ and ask. They are the only ones who can answer this question. Every cruise line has different rules; years ago I asked NCL whether it was possible to leave Western Med cruise in Nice (last port before cruise end in Barcelona) and they said NO. I frankly don't see why they care but probably they have their own reasons.

Hello Everyone,

Having been to Amalfi and having spent 4 nights in the Cinque Terre, I would forego the 4 days in Amalfi in favor of C-T anytime.

Have your TA check with Princess to be sure this is OK. It likely will be fine.

They normally hold you passport when you board the ship and if they do you just have to pick up your passport for that day as you will need it for the hotel.

Keith

I know on our last RCCL cruise some people went off the ship in Malaga and rejoined in Cadiz so they would have extra time in Granada and Seville. They said that RCCL did not have a problem.

You do need to tell somebody though, as pjunctiongirl suggests, otherwise the sailing will be held up looking for you....

Archived